Wireless adapter on/off problem with Dell XPS 12

Options

Comments

• OXFORD_SMOGGY
    Options
    " you could uninstall the wifi card and delete the installed driver, reboot the machine and it should install an earlier one on reboot..."

i believe ive tried that already and still didnt work, will try again
    :beer: Printing money since 2008 :beer:
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    Options
    Are you using a wireless mouse? if so remove the batteries and unplug the usb mouse transceiver and have another try with the pad or a wired mouse
  • OXFORD_SMOGGY
    Options
    ah yes I have a wireless mouse but it still freezes on the touchpad
  • OXFORD_SMOGGY
    Options
    the main problem is the wireless network really makes my pc unsusable
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    the main problem is the wireless network really makes my pc unsusable
    Sorry, not familar with XPS 12; does it have a USB connector? Worth spending £12? eg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIZA100-Wireless-Complies-Standard-Supports/dp/B074MD7V9K/
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • OXFORD_SMOGGY
    Options
    Thanks Ive tried that alreay with a usb wireless connector still have the same problem even after uninstalling the internal one!
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    Options
    is it still under dell warranty? Think you will end up formatting the device and re-installing windows.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Yes, simpler - worth trying a windows 10 reset (with keep data option). This keeps docs/pics (but back them up anyway) but loses program installations; you'll know pretty quickly if it works when it asks for wifi details when it starts up again at the end of the reset.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    were wrote: »
    Think you will end up formatting the device and re-installing windows.
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Yes, simpler - worth trying a windows 10 reset (with keep data option). This keeps docs/pics (but back them up anyway) but loses program installations; you'll know pretty quickly if it works when it asks for wifi details when it starts up again at the end of the reset.

:doh:

. I have even done a complete fresh wipe and reinstall of the whole computer. !

I think you can rule out software issues here, especially as you have tried a different interface (usb)
    This sounds like a motherboard issue to me .. when combined with the other issues you mention.
    As already asked above, is the machine under warranty ?
  • OXFORD_SMOGGY
    Options
    Ah jeez really, just so odd that it can work for an hour and then for 15 minutes not be useable and appears disabled in the configuration, very odd.

I have also noticed that if I restart my PC it does not restart sometimes, just tries to for ages unless I turn off and urn back on fully and manually
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport