Carers Allowance and working in a school

Quick bit of background...
My husband works full time. I have been a full time Mum for 12 years and am in receipt of Carers Allowance for our 8 year old.
I recently retrained as an Early Years worker and have been volunteering and providing TA cover in a reception class.
I am aware that while in receipt of Carers Allowance my benefit would be affected if I earn over £120 pw. However what I am not clear of is if I can earn more than £120 pw if I work in a school and therefore only get paid per annum as I would only be working what 39 weeks of the year?
Just had a reality check with our finances for the future and desperately need to get out working myself. I really need to be at home with our 8 yr old during the holidays.
So in summary can I earn more than £120 pw if my earnings per annum work out at less than the £120pw?
Please help x

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    _shel wrote: »
    No, any week you earn over you are not entitled to carers allowance. They don't work it out over the year.

This isn't quite true.

If you read this link and look up the legislation there are different options on how they can work out your earnings.

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forum-archive/indexb466.html
    (old post but legislation remains the same)

Post 2 shows the exact same case which was appealed and overturned.

I suggest the OP speaks to Carer's Unit, explain the situation and ask for a decision to be made by a decision maker. The OP could quote the legislation too. Telephone call should be followed up by a letter which should be copied and proof of posting kept.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    I don't know the rules but in a similar but less planned/periodic case the friend that was claiming carers allowance for me took paid field work when he was able (we're both academics) 5 days work meant that he lost carers allowance for the whole month. He didn't challenge it at all, his wage for the five days was more than the carer's allowance he lost, but that was the decision maker's decision.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you have a substantive job in a school you are usually paid in 12 equal payments over the year. They don't simply pay you term time and nothing in the holidays. So your pay would automatically be spread over the year for benefit purposes.
  • LocoLoco
    LocoLoco Posts: 420 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    OP, there are some expenses you can offset against your earnings when you are in receipt of Carer's Allowance, paying into a pension is one and care expenses relating to your caree is another. It's worth contacting an organisation like Carers UK (it's usually easier to get through by email than by phone) to get up to date advice and help you work out the best way to manage it all - good luck :)
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Have a look at the carers uk forum. There is a tread by scally "Carers allowance and earning over £102 (now £110) per week." It states that you can put extra money into a occupational pension and other methods to keep under the magic £120 per week.

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/carer-disability-benefits/carers-allowance-and-earning-over-102-now-110-per-week-21683
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure