Wheels are deteriorating

We bought a set of wheels from a company called Alloy wheel traders 13 months ago. The car belong to my son who has no drivers license yet he is just learning to drive, so the car does move but very little and it's looked after and cleaned weekly. On washing the car I realised that the wheels are rusting. These wheels are only 13 months old and they were quite expensive. They have not been curbed or have any damage but they looking really bad. I have contacted them and they say it's to late to complain but surely wheels should not look like this after 13 months. I am not sure where I can complain about this or how to take it further. Any suggestion welcome

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It's not to late to invoke you consumer rights. Get an independent report from someone who refurbs wheels(independent expert). This is the stage you are at, you need the report to state they are inherently faulty, sub standard for their age.

If this report is in your favour present it to the retailer will the bill for the report and demand your resolution.
  • Zoba
    Zoba Posts: 4 Newbie
    Thank you. I will do that and see what happens next
  • Zoba wrote: »
    We bought a set of wheels from a company called Alloy wheel traders 13 months ago. The car belong to my son who has no drivers license yet he is just learning to drive, so the car does move but very little and it's looked after and cleaned weekly. On washing the car I realised that the wheels are rusting. These wheels are only 13 months old and they were quite expensive. They have not been curbed or have any damage but they looking really bad. I have contacted them and they say it's to late to complain but surely wheels should not look like this after 13 months. I am not sure where I can complain about this or how to take it further. Any suggestion welcome

Are you in the U.K.?
    We don't use a "Drivers license" nor do we have "curbs", only in, for example, curb your enthusiasm.
    So U.K. consumer rights might not apply.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Alloys rusting?? What colour is this 'rust'??
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • zoob
    zoob Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If he!!!8217;s using a lot wheel cleaner that could be causing the problem, they contain acid that can get behind the lacquer and stain the alloys
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are you in the U.K.?
    We don't use a "Drivers license" nor do we have "curbs", only in, for example, curb your enthusiasm.
    So U.K. consumer rights might not apply.

Are you in the U.K.?

Of course we have drivers licenses here, we start with a provisional when learning to drive and get the full license after passing the theory and practical driving tests.

We also do have curbs, what else would you call the edging stone of every pavement we have? I've never heard them called anything other than curbs and the standard term for bumping your car wheels into them is curbing/curbed.
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    Are you in the U.K.?

Of course we have drivers licenses here, we start with a provisional when learning to drive and get the full license after passing the theory and practical driving tests.

We also do have curbs, what else would you call the edging stone of every pavement we have? I've never heard them called anything other than curbs and the standard term for bumping your car wheels into them is curbing/curbed.

I think OAT was implying the spellings were american, which could imply they are from overseas or it could just be their autocorrect settings or something else similarly innocent.

Curb = Kerb
    License = Licence

As well as the US using the term drivers license, where we would normally say driving licence
  • Zoba
    Just soapy water. As the car does not get driven a lot it does not get the usual muck.
  • Zoba
    I am in the U.K and we do have drivers license and curbed wheels are a very common term.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Zoba wrote: »
    I am in the U.K and we do have drivers license and curbed wheels are a very common term.

You are using American spellings for both. The UK spelling is 'kerbing' and 'licence' so it was a legitimate question, not just a spelling gripe.

The terms are common but the spellings are not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure