New banister and handrail for stairs

Options
BMLD
BMLD Posts: 5 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 8 April 2018 at 12:21PM in Is this quote fair?
We recently moved into a new home without a banister or handrail on either side of the stairs and want to get them fitted. We just want a pretty simple white painted wood design with square shaped balusters and a slightly rounded handrail on both sides (I'm a new user so can't post links to example images). The banister would be approx 1.8m and the handrail against the wall approx 4m and curving round the top of the stairs.

We're pretty new to this kind of thing and have been getting quotes in the range of £530 (shop bought materials and includes the fitting) to £3000 (handmade and includes the supply and fit). Any advice on what a reasonable quote is (we are in the South, just outside London) and what to ask carpenters would be appreciated!

Comments

• maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    It really depends on how handy you are, we had the same in our old house and needed to fit in order to sell. We bought the richard burbridge components and justified the purchase of a mitre saw. It took a weekend. If I remember, the distance between the spindles needed to be a maximum of 100mm, it may have changed. If you are painting the spindles, do it after they've been cut and before fitting, a massive time saver. You could price up the materials using B&Q and decide whether the extra for fitting is worth it to you.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    B&Q will be very expensive for the items. This may not matter because there are not vast quantities, but otherwise look at builders merchants, Screwfix, and local timber merchants for your bits. To give an example I can buy quadrant at my local timber merchant for a fifth of what B&Q charge for it. View this another way - call it 80% off, which should concentrate the mind.
  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We bought our stair parts from Richard Burbidge them selves through their website. I was quite a lot cheaper than B & Q and there was a stair planner online to work out exactly what we needed and all the fitting instructions. This was about 10 years ago so things may be different now but probably worth checking out.

http://richardburbidge.com/products/stair-balustrade?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwOqIvLKr2gIVbr7tCh1X6Q4QEAAYASAAEgIFLfD_BwE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure