How to reclaim PPI on a brokered NR mortgage?

Can anyone help? In 2006 I secured a mortgage and unsecured loan with Northen Rock through an independent mortgage broker. They sold me payment sheild sickness cover which I specifically took as I have Crohn's disease and was worried how I'd manage if I had a relapse. It wasn't until around a year later when I was reassessing my finances that I realised it didn't cover me for pre existing medical conditions.

So I'm not sure if I can claim or if I can, who to?

Any help, much appreciated!

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    They sold me payment sheild sickness cover which I specifically took as I have Crohn's disease and was worried how I'd manage if I had a relapse.

Paymentshield is a high quality provider. Typically, they only exclude pre-existing conditions or anything linked to that condition. They dont exclude unrelated illnesses or unemployment.
    It wasn't until around a year later when I was reassessing my finances that I realised it didn't cover me for pre existing medical conditions.

That is not a missale reason though. As long as the policy doesnt exclude you fully or your illness is of a type that effectively means most conditions would be related to it.

Exclusions limited to the condition or issues arising from the condition are allowed. As mentioned above.

HOWEVER, if the condition was chronic then you may well have a case.
    So I'm not sure if I can claim or if I can, who to?

You would complain to the adviser.

You may wish to contact Paymentshield first. Not to complain,as they have no liability. But to see if you were covered for other things. If they say no, then you have a nailed on complaint. If they say you were covered for unrelated illnesses then there is no complaint.

Also, some paymentshield plans were redundancy only (slightly cheaper and stripped out the illness side).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure