TV Licence - will they get a warrant?

Comments

• As I say, we flag up to 7 different outcomes from drop down list.We must do this to complete the job. At all times we can move to "freeform comments " before we exit the job and add any details we like of a relevant nature we deem important but I can state with absolute truth the management have NEVER asked us to state we log anything to do with viewing habits, TV s in use or what channel anyone is watching at any time.
    The few times I have noted what anyone is watching is when the occupier was either abusive,threatening or like the man who threw me out, causing an actual assault.
    Our present manager made it very clear that we do not engage at all with customers but just to get the letter delivered or hand delivered without any discussions at all with anyone at all especially about whether they need a licence or they don` t. Its not our job to do that.
    Other managers in the early days of the contract did not go into this aspect probably because no complaints of DPA breaching had ever been sent in.
    Most of the time we choose from the drop down list only "delivered " "hand delivered " vacant " or rarely "unable to deliver " because no access to letterbox ", because "boarded up " or other reasons for not being able to deliver eg demolished etc
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Okay, thanks. That seems to clarify things.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 November 2017 at 1:53PM
    Sorry personal views are not needed.
  • Cornucopia
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Sorry personal views are not needed.

It's pretty much all MSE has.
  • Xbigman wrote: »
    Search Warrants are very rare. About 150 a year compared to the 180,000 people prosecuted for watching live TV. Most search warrants are issued against those who are abusive, violent or have withdrawn the implied right of access.

This has got me scratching my head...... what would a search warrant prove? Possession of a TV means nothing. Having it plugged in and tuned-in again means nothing so how could a search warrant lead to prosecution in the absence of any other evidence?
  • Cornucopia
    This has got me scratching my head...... what would a search warrant prove? Possession of a TV means nothing.
    Correct.
    Having it plugged in and tuned-in again means nothing...
    Not correct. The Courts have accepted evidence of equipment that is installed and configured FOR RECEPTION as evidence of reception.
    ... so how could a search warrant lead to prosecution in the absence of any other evidence?
    There is also other circumstantial evidence, such as (believe it or not) the presence of TV listing magazines and recent recordings on PVRs.

They will also still proceed to Interview under Caution, so they are still seeking a confession. (It does all rather remind me of the film "Brazil").
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    This has got me scratching my head...... what would a search warrant prove? Possession of a TV means nothing. Having it plugged in and tuned-in again means nothing so how could a search warrant lead to prosecution in the absence of any other evidence?

Possibly to check set top boxes for recordings? Possibly to check for use of BBC iPlayer?
  • Cornucopia
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Possibly to check for use of BBC iPlayer?

They may not be able to do that, since they won't have access to PCs, Laptops, Tablets, Phones or Routers even with a Warrant.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    They may not be able to do that, since they won't have access to PCs, Laptops, Tablets, Phones or Routers even with a Warrant.

I know that when Police execute a search warrant, they can seize equipment. Can't TVL?

They could check Roku boxes or Tivo for use of iPlayer. And wouldn't identifying the IP addresses and possibly Mac codes allow them to check from the server side?
  • Cornucopia
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I know that when Police execute a search warrant, they can seize equipment. Can't TVL?
    No. It is a Warrant to search the premises for receiving equipment, and then to examine and test it. Nothing more than that.
    They could check Roku boxes or Tivo for use of iPlayer. And wouldn't identifying the IP addresses and possibly Mac codes allow them to check from the server side?
    AFAIK, that level of technical sophistication is way beyond their capability. This is an operation of entry and submission, and the tiny numbers are there (I think) to act as a more of a threat than a practical enforcement tool.

The few Warrant videos on YT just promote more questions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QnFwLqCQ24&t
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport