The Completely Crazy 2013 Clothes Challenge

Comments

• I'm going to join as well i think, I'm always guilty of buying that new outfit I don't need then I wear it once and it will forever live in my cuboard after that.

I'm going to have a budget of £200 and then add my vouchers and money as I get them so I will actually be starting on 270 because I have a £10 voucher for arcadia group and £60 christmas money. I think vouchers and christmas/birthday money are supposed to be treats so I can include them :)
    Sealed pot challenge 1875
  • Mags30
    Mags30 Posts: 1,792 Forumite

Mags30 - thanks i couldnt find the euro sign on my keyboard... so just pout the word instead LOL! which country do you live? i want a northface jacket too, hoping the weather wont get too cold and i cna buy a second hand one from fleabay in the spring.

I'm in Ireland, "ctrl" + "alt" + "4" should get you a € symbol but honestly it doesn't matter, just use £ for my updates, I'll know!

My mother doesn't really get the NorthFace jacket thing at all, she can't understand why I'd want to spend so much on something that's not glamorous!! It's because I like to dress appropriately and glamorous isn't very useful in the rain/wind/floods/cold,etc. Plus it would last for years.

Thanks for starting the new thread :)
    Total debt 11/1/2011 €5350.65
    Total debt 12/12/12 €3222.31
    CrazyClothesChallenge 2013 #006 €34.08/€500
  • squinky
    squinky Posts: 70 Forumite
    Sounds like a good challenge guys!

I worked out that I spent almost £1000 on clothes in 2010, yikes! So when I started clearing my debt in 2011 I kept a spending diary and worked out that I had spent £290.70 on clothes, shoes & accessories so set my clothing budget for 2012 at £300. I am happy to report that with only a few days of this year left I have spent £295.22 (will be avoiding the shops & sales hopefully to keep it this way!) I am hoping to stick to £300 in 2013 too.

Anyway I just thought I would share with you something that has really helped me. It is from GW's twenty four key pieces theory. Now whilst I could never commit to only having twenty four items of clothing, this really resonated with me, my bulging wardrobe & my cries of having nothing to wear! He suggests that when you buy a new item you should be able to think of at least three outfits you could make with it from things you already own. It's a really simple idea yet something I had clearly never taken on board before.

Also really helpful is thinking about any items you may receive as gifts. Without wanting to come across as a complete simpleton again this is something that I hadn't really thought about either and would spend a lot of money on costume jewellery, scarves, pyjamas, slippers & socks etc before I realised that I didn't need to spend any of my own money on these as I frequently get bought these as birthday or Christmas gifts!

Good luck with your challenges :)
  • Nagme
    Nagme Posts: 377
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 29 December 2012 at 9:01PM
    Hiya, please could I join, rather urgently, before the new Next Directory arrives?!

My limit will be £300 as a lot of my wardrobe is getting very frayed and I have dropped a size so purchases will be necessary - this will keep me focussed!
  • Hi all, this is my first time on this thread. I would like to aim for £300 budget. Thats £25 per month. I need a few things but not a lot, mainly clothes for work.

Good Luck everyone and Happy 2013! :T
  • km1977
    km1977 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Right I NEED to join I am the assistant manager of a charity shop and spend way to much on clothes, shoes and bags lol I never go anywhere to wear any of it :-/ I hardly ever buy new stuff so buying for a good cause from charity is my argument hehe but I HAVE TO STOP I am on a diet too have just lost 2 stone have put some on over christmas but am back on track from wednesday and will not buy anything till have gone down to a size 14 then I will learn to limit my self not sure how much I will give myself yet need to think about it a bit more!!!
  • Hi everyone - will definitely join in this challenge but I'm struggling to set an amount cos I've never totalled up how much I spend before. I now have a uniform for work so only need casual clothes, I have plenty of dressy clothes for the odd night out and have decided that one of my New Years resolutions is to buy only good quality clothes that will last, no more cheap bargains - and need to stay out of the charity shops where I tend to buy just because I like things, not because I actually need them. Will do a full inventory today and report back when I've decided on an amount for the year.
    Sober October = 0 alcohol free days
    Weight lost so far = 0lb
    No spend days so far = 0
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have put my total into my budgeting notebook to keep track of any spends. I am determined to keep on track or at least only go over by £50 at the most next year which will be the best I have done!

£200 / 12mths = £16 per month for spends - just to remind me how much!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • Hi, could I please be added?

My target will be £240 as this is the amount I will save for clothes this year.

I will need underwear, sandals, swimsuit, winter boots and special clothes for my therapist course.

I really don't need anything else.
    I really don't need anything else.
    I really don't need anything else. I need to start saying this to myself every day.:)
    £2 Savers Club 2013 - £28
    20p Savers Club 2013 - £10.20
    January 2013 Grocery Challenge 73.30/180.00
  • I would like to join in, I don't have debt but I have an overflowing wardrobe or two......and some. I have been thinking about no clothes and shoes for a while so in preparation I have been sorting out things that I can sell, lots of stuff BNWT, stuff I can up-cycle as I am a whizz with a sewing machine, and stuff to gift to charity shops.

I was given a lot of stuff for xmas, gorgeous m&s leisure wear for lounging in the house, and nightwear, I wear company branded blouses at work which they supply and replace as needed , I supply my own trousers and skirts, which I have loads of, they even supply jumpers, sweatshirts, fleeces (and safety shoes, and thermals! if I want them even though I work in an office!)

I truly need nothing, not even underwear, which I have lots of stuff unworn! I have coats, shoes and other things that havent seen the light of day for a long time so plenty of scope for updating. And as for shoes, sandals and boots its best not to go there!!!!!

I have zips, buttons, threads, all sorts of trim and stuff to update clothes with, an over-locker and sewing machine. I am setting my spend at Zero for buying clothes and no more than £25 for any haberdashery that I cannot salvage from old stuff.
    Dont wait for your boat to come in 'Swim out and meet the bloody thing' ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure