Anyone colour their own hair?

2»

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    halogen wrote: »
    does anyone know if its possible to colour the greys without colouring the rest? I'm terrified of going to a hairdresser ( never been in my life and it's too expensive for me anyway) but I would love to have vivid colour highlights that stay put

I asked a hairdresser that and she said no.

I colour my hair, my natural colour is very dark brown. I use L'Oreal Preference in bright colours (purple, or currently blue/black). Over most of my hair it's only really noticeable in strong light, but the thick grey streaks come up really bright and vivid, so it looks like it's got bright streaks in. I suppose it depends what colour your hair is as to how big the contrast is with the streaks.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bella2007 wrote: »
    I've often googled doing my own hair and some of the advice says it's okay if you're sure to only do the roots each time and avoid a dulling colour buildup.

I have used one brand which had separate instructions if you were redying your hair with that dye. They said to apply it to the roots first, leave it for x minutes and then put the rest of the dye through the hair for the last x minutes.

I dye my own hair as I have never been able to afford to go regularly to the salon as my hair grows super fast and is very fine so the roots really show up. I use semi-permanents so even if a colour isn't great it calms down soon enough. Just remember to rub some vaseline on the skin around your hairline so you don't end up with stains. Also just spend some time really making sure every bit of hair is covered. I have never had a problem doing it myself, but I systematically work my way around my head.
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    Ames wrote: »
    I asked a hairdresser that and she said no.

I colour my hair, my natural colour is very dark brown. I use L'Oreal Preference in bright colours (purple, or currently blue/black). Over most of my hair it's only really noticeable in strong light, but the thick grey streaks come up really bright and vivid, so it looks like it's got bright streaks in. I suppose it depends what colour your hair is as to how big the contrast is with the streaks.

ooh now I didn't know mainstream brands came in fun colours... I'll have to look into that. I did try the LiveXXL ones but they didn't dow anything on my hair... I think I found 1 strand that showed any colour at all
  • Bella2007
    Bella2007 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Thanks everyone! I have also been asking around and one person said my colour really suits me and not to risk ruining it. It's true that the colour is quite subtle so that neither dark blonde or light brown would match it - especially after Izadora's advice that John Frieda always comes out darker.

I've come up with a compromise - every two or three months, I might 'stretch' my colour by using Clairol's 'Root Touch Up', so will require less salon visits over the year. Still pondering it...
    Bella2007

Vital statistics:
    £7,904 of debt to bust in 2018
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I have coloured my hair every colour under the sun!! I've never had any problems, my hair is short, vase line on ears and round hair line, even when I've recoloured I do roots first, parting my hair with nozzle then continue on to all over. Wear old clothes and gloves, and an old towel.
    I get lots of compliments on my hair colour. If you naturally have highlights etc. Then the dye will take in different tones, so you get a nice natural look. One of my favourites is schartzkopt brand which are 2.99 in home bargains. I only use permanent colours, but you could use semi to try, which would wash out after a few washes.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've been dyeing my hair for some years now- only had a salon dye once.
    Foam variety is the easiest to apply but I tend to buy the standard Nice'n Easy- very many shades of colours.
    Be aware that cool or ash in the title of the means it is less likely to have a reddish tinge.
    Even permanent dye does change colour, not only in the sun but also with washing / getting wet. The chlorine in swimming pool doesn't help!- so as the 4-5 weeks pass my hair gets progressively lighter!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    and just realised today (as 'doing' the hair!) that I struggle with the gloves included in the pack- don't fit well- so I bought a box of cheap disposable vinyl gloves. Actually they usually survive 2 or 3 uses

I usually buy the hair dye when it's on offer - 2 for £x, or even 3 for £x... it's worth a shop around once you find a brand you like
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've been colouring my hair for more years than I can remember, I inherited my Mum's and Nan's early greying, in fact some of mine is completely white now but at 53 I'm not ready to be white yet, I haven't even ever been blonde, I'm a brunette through and through.

For a very long time I used l'Oreal Excellence but as my hair has got whiter I've found that it fades very quickly. I then tried Garner Nutrisse for about 6 months last year, which completely wrecked my hair. So now I'm back to L'Oreal Age Concern (or something like that) which so far is great, the colour lasts and my hair is nice and shiny again. I only have a little of the wrecked Garnier hair left but that should be gone by my next cut. The only trouble is getting the colour, most shops seem to feel that 'women of a certain age' only want to colour their hair blonde. The only shop I can get it in in one branch of Superdrug.

No way could I afford to get my colour done by my hairdresser, it needs doing every 2-3 weeks.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Would not recommend it. Just go to a salon and have them take care of it.
  • ... L'Oreal Age Concern...

ha :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family