Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)

Comments

• dc_scotland
    dc_scotland Posts: 286
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MoneyMate wrote: »
    Be very careful with ID MOBILE, OK until you want to call their help line (Then you will be pulling your hair out) Just look at the pathetic customer reviews :eek:

The Irish division of iD Mobile has recently gone into liquidation. Customers have been told to find a new supplier.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 21 March 2018 at 8:26PM
    The Irish division of iD Mobile has recently gone into liquidation. Customers have been told to find a new supplier.

It went into liquidation because Dixons Carphone decided to withdraw from the Irish market and didn't find a buyer in their timescale set, not because it went under for financial reasons.

CarphoneWarehouse announced the withdrawal from Ireland almost a year ago.

The Carphone Warehouse-owned network iD Mobile Ireland has just filed for liquidation. Following an announcement last year that Dixons Carphone (the parent organisation for both businesses) would withdraw iD Mobile from the Irish market, efforts to find a buyer for the network failed, adding to the question marks surrounding the company!!!8217;s future in Ireland amid reports the retail store network would be significantly scaled back.

https://goosed.ie/id-mobile-liquidation/
    iD Mobile is an MVNO powered by Carphone Warehouse which runs on the Three mobile network. Following Three!!!8217;s acquisition of O2 in 2013, the EU ruled that to preserve competition in Ireland, Three must support the creation of new networks. This ultimately led to iD Mobile and Virgin Mobile being created.

iD is a fairly innovative network, which keeps the cost of your phone and plan separately in the interest of transparency !!!8211; a feature replicated by Virgin Mobile. Since their launch in 2015, iD Mobile has failed to make an impact on the Irish market and was dogged with technical issues and poor handset ranges. This paled in comparison to the UK equivalent of the network which continues to go from strength to strength. iD Mobile!!!8217;s poor performance in Ireland has ultimately led to the news today that Dixons Carphone plans to cease the MVNO!!!8217;s operations in Ireland.

In their annual preliminary report, Dixons Carphone, the umbrella group for Currys, PC World, Carphone Warehouse and iD Mobile, outlined various areas of success the business was enjoying. It concluded a generally positive roundup of the UK and Ireland by stating their plans to remove iD Mobile from Ireland:

!!!8220;We have made the decision to exit our iD mobile operations in the Republic of Ireland. The iD mobile operations in the Republic of Ireland represent a different business model to the UK, as it is a capacity MVNO with options for expanding its spectrum. This brings with it excellent control, but that comes with upfront costs and increased administration, and we believe the business will flourish faster under dedicated ownership.!!!8221;

https://goosed.ie/id-mobile-set-to-leave-irish-market/
    ====
  • amk515
    amk515 Posts: 113
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I finally got Three to give me a decent retention deal after years of trying.

I used Three's complaints chat to gain the following:

Advanced plan
    Unlimited minutes
    Unlimited texts
    Unlimited data
    30GB tethering
    All for £10pm and with a £10 credit.

I used to pay £20pm for the same but with 12GB tethering.
  • After leaving BT broadband for plusnet last year I was still tied in to my mobile at £5 per month. Anyway for some reason they credited my account with £50 and carried on charging me £5 even though I no longer had a mobile contract with them (should be £10). Just rung them for a pac code to move and got unlimited calls, texts and 5gb of data for £8.
  • Petstalk
    Petstalk Posts: 202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 2 April 2018 at 10:43PM
    What best deals for sim only have been achieved with EE? Best to leave to get cheaper?
  • geoffW
    geoffW Posts: 181
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    One of the best deals I've ever seen for unlimited calls and texts + 500mb of data is from Sky Mobile via TCB costs just £2.91 pm after cashback for 12 month contract, unused data rolls over for up to 3 years. You have to be a Sky TV customer however or cost is an extra £10 pm.
  • I noticed today that the Plusnet 30 day rolling sim is back at Argos, £10pm with 1500 minutes, Unlimited texts, 4GB data. But you get a £20 Argos voucher, will do me for the next couple months until a better deal comes along. I might even call PN in a few months say I'm leaving and see if retentions can offer an improved deal.

An update on this, I received my voucher (via email) a few days ago :j
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have a Virgin SIM only deal that currently costs me £8.27 a month for 2500 minutes + 2GB data (both more than enough for my needs, although I also get rollover of unused data which gives me even more). I've just had an email from Virgin Mobile to tell me they are imposing a frankly unacceptable 27% increase to £10.50 a month (they're also increasing my Virgin Media charges, but by a just about acceptable 5%).

Is there a decent alternative for something close to the price I'm paying now? If I threaten to leave are Virgin likely to back down, or at least make the increase smaller?
  • jimarnold_2
    jimarnold_2 Posts: 35
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Dunno if virgin will back down but you would be a fool not to ask for a PAC and look around - they may then contact you

Remember that if you don't action your PAC within 28 days it expires so you literally have nothing to lose
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I have a Virgin SIM only deal that currently costs me £8.27 a month for 2500 minutes + 2GB data (both more than enough for my needs, although I also get rollover of unused data which gives me even more). I've just had an email from Virgin Mobile to tell me they are imposing a frankly unacceptable 27% increase to £10.50 a month (they're also increasing my Virgin Media charges, but by a just about acceptable 5%).

Is there a decent alternative for something close to the price I'm paying now? If I threaten to leave are Virgin likely to back down, or at least make the increase smaller?

Considering Virgin are offering new customers 2500 minutes + 5GB data at the moment I'll be amazed if you ask for your PAC that you don't at least get offered the same deal or hopefully a cheaper offer for your existing one.

Mention the TPO offer of £4.99/mth, 750 minutes & unlimited texts and 1.5GB of data regardless of whether it suits you or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure