New Child Maintenance Payments

Options
Hi
My daughter lives with my ex-wife and is nearly 10. I have been paying £209 through CSA taken from my wage at source. Now this has been taken over by the Child Maintenance Service, and they have put it up by £68 straight away. She lives 125 miles away and her mother brings her, and I take her home, as ruled by court.. I have every other weekend and split holidays. If I have to pay this, I will struggle to continue this level of contact with my daughter as I am only just managing now - price of petrol etc. I work for the NHS and haven't had any significant pay rise since she was born.
I am just asking if any other parent has any advice or is going through the same.
Thanks
Bewildered Dad.

Comments

• NotSuchASmugMarriedNow
    Options
    Could you work just one extra shift a month to cover the increase?
    Overactively underachieving for almost half a century
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think post#2 is saying tough luck.
    Perhaps if the pwc is was happy with the previous amount then perhaps you could both arrange a private arrangement outside of the cms .
  • PaulJohnson42
    Options
    I work for a community team that has 9-5 weekday hours. There is no scope for overtime.
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Are you on collect and pay? There’s an additional 20% charge on top of your calculated amount if so.

If you have been paying regularly for some time ask to be put back on direct pay where there are no fees. You will have to reassure them that you will pay regularly and on time.

You can also get travel costs for contact taken into account if it costs more than £10 but the amount they give you for it probably isn’t really worth it. Something like 9p a mile.
  • jjj1980
    jjj1980 Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 March 2018 at 10:25PM
    Options
    Have you used the online calculator to double check the figures? It may be that they have wrong income figures for you or they have incorrect information about the number of overnights. I would make this the first step.

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance

I understand the reasoning behind the suggestion to work an extra shift but you are at risk of increasing your income to a level which will lead to an increase in the assessed payment amount.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure