Choosing your MF date?

Been lurking here for a while, but just made my first post a little earlier. Lets have a go at a new thread now!

Simple one really... how do you decide on a date to aim for to be mortgage free?

Eg use online calculators, plop in some over payments and get a feel for a date from there, as previous then trim date further, aim to be MF by 30, 40, 50, clear asap, etc

I'm two years into my second property and mortgage, but had to drop back to a 25 year term. If I let this run to term, I'll be 59, so I'm doing something about it!
Mortgage and debt free. Building up savings...

Comments

• benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Mine is just a goal I'm aiming for, let me fill you in on my situation ..... I took out a 30 year mortgage in 2004 with my partner. We had just moved to a new house with our 1 year old son. Almost a year later my partner decided out of the blue to walk out and leave us. For 12 months I was a wreck and spent most nights worrying myself silly over everything ... how would I cope on my own, how could I manage to bring up my son on my own etc. etc. Then a few months ago it began to dawn on me that my situation could be a lot worse .... other than the mortgage I have no other debts. I have always been careful with money (thanks Mum and Dad;) ) and my finances has become like a mini-hobby now (thanks to MSE!!).

I have set myself a goal of clearing my mortgage by the time my son leaves school (he doesn't start till next September !!) instead of the 28.5 years still left on the mortgage. It will mean overpaying by £200 a month, I am moving to a smaller property in the new year which should knock about £40k off the mortgage too.

I am proud of what I have done so far and am looking forward to doing everything I can to achieve this !! :D
    Mortgage Total: £55,900 / £75,000
    2024 Savings: £2532
  • Dr.Lou
    Dr.Lou Posts: 266 Forumite
    Personally speaking, my husband and I choose our 'mortgage free' goal date when we remortgaged in November 2004. The mortgage we took out was a tracker mortgage which was 0.5% above base rate until Feb 07 and then would revert to the extortionate SVR rate.

So we decided that we would like to aim for Feb 07 to start with, then as time went on and we were doing well with our goal we decided to move the goal post to Sep 06 (which would co-incide with my 30th birthday).

We were lucky to meet our goal:D . In September the amount we had in savings just about exceeded the amount owed on the mortgage. We are going to pay it all off in Feb 07 and in the next few months we aim to save up a little bit more in order to have a small safety net ready for when the money is all handed over to the bank:eek: .

I think a good place to start is with Martin's budget planner to the left, plug in all your incomings and outgoings and see how much money you have left over at the end of the month. Then using this figure, play around with the overpayment calculators to set a realistic goal. You can always tweak it a little as time moves on or if your circumstances change. Best of Luck!
  • I wouldn't necessarily focus on a particular age or date - focus instead on affordability. Begin by filling out Martin's budget spreadsheet and decide what you can realistically afford to overpay each month. Don't try to be too hard on yourself by deciding a figure which is unrealistic, but at the same time, go for a figure which will challenge you. Once you've worked out the amount, an overpayment calculator should be able to convert this into years & months remaining.

When I was in a similar position some years ago, I called my lender directly to ask them how much my monthly mortgage payments would be if I reduced the remaining term by 2 years, 3 years, 5 years, 7 years and 10 years. It's amazing how when you sit down with Martin's spreadsheet you can come up with an overpayment amount and really start focusing on chopping years (and lots of interest) off your mortgage and being mortgage-free much earlier than you originally anticipated.

The other amazing thing is that reducing the term usually costs less than you expect. You could find that paying as little as £50 per month extra could reduce your term by 1-2 years (depending on the size of your mortgage, of course).

Good Luck.
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - £129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - £63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 98.2% (updated 1 Dec 2020)
  • Gray0103
    Gray0103 Posts: 100 Forumite
    Well I am 32 now, and hope to be mortgage free before I am 45, however if any wee people come along, it will move to 50, as the house could accomodate 2 wee folk, but not 2 teenagers.
    Only one Debt left and thats the Mortgage

June 05 - £110,500
    June 06 - £ 99,000
    June 07 - £96,000
    June 08 - £90,000 TARGET
    June 09 - £85,000 TARGET
  • David_B_2
    David_B_2 Posts: 718 Forumite
    I got my date by working out how much I was putting away into savings (extra set a side for the mortgage) and other accounts and then taking that off my total balance of the mortgage. This isn't taking into account the interest I'll gain from the savings thow I have a good idea of what that will be. Therefore with that, my regular lump sum payments and my regular normal mortgage payment it should always be getting closer rather than going the other way ;-) As it does get closure you should be able to get a better date but it'll always be approx as you ever know what will happen tomorrow. Good luck.
    PS: I'm 32 and you can guess from my finish date (below) when I went to be mortgage free!
    Regards,
    Dave

If only I had a pound for every time I used the thanks button :D
  • drp2854
    drp2854 Posts: 15 Forumite
    I apologise if this message goes on, but it may inspire someone.

Took out first mortgage in 1986. Increased over the years until 1992 when I divorced.

In 1992 started again with a 20 year £64k mortgage and an endowment. Increased mortgage in 1999 to £93K with a second endowment. Both endowments were due to mature in 2013.
    In 2001 started getting warning letters that my endowments would not cover the mortgage. The endowments were costing me approx £275 per month. Decided to start putting some money away in a Maxi ISA.

In 2004, moved with my job to another part of the country and decided to remortgage by taking out a 20 year repayment mortgage of £149k fixed for two years. This took the pressure off my reliance on the endowments which I decided to keep going for a lump sum at maturity. Also decided to complain about miselling, but this was dismissed by the L&G.

Then in early 2006, I had what I think was my light bulb moment (aged 41). Others may disagree.:confused:

I decided to try and repay my mortgage earlier than the current completion date of July 2024 (38 years after first taking out my initial mortgage).
    As it stands at present I will on paper be mortgage free by April 2008 (yes, 16 years earlier than originally planned).

How am I going to do it?

Firstly I created a simple spreadsheet which showed my outstanding mortgage, payments and interest charged, as well as the important timeline. By factoring in simple overpayments to save interest from money saved by scrutinising all outgoings (with a lot of help from MSE moneysavers) I brought my MFD date forward to March 2015. (A great start!). This included significant chunks being taken off by the endowments maturing in 2013.

Then I became obsessive about paying the mortgage off early:mad:

I decided to move to an Off-set mortgage when my 2-year fixed ended in July 2006. I obtained a rate of 5.09% fixed for five years with First Direct. Me and my partner opened three accounts to off-set against the mortgage and in return received £100 from first direct for two bank accounts (one of which is a cheque a/c), and a savings account.

At this point the madness set in. I decided to cash in my two endowments. I know the purists out there will be shouting at me in horror, but it realised over £36k (lump sum) and an extra £275 per month in overpayments. This allowed me to increase my monthly payments from £1100 to £1400 (at a push) each month. I also decided that my ISA had increased in value to approx £17k, so that got cashed in as well.

I also jumped onto the credit card bandwagon and secured £20k interest free for a year on two different cards. I currently make the minimum payments only, which in effect is money paid off against my mortgage capital and further reduces mortgage interest payments.

At this point I had a stroke of luck, L&G reviewed my misselling complaint (out of the blue) and although still not agreeing they had done any wrong felt there had been an administrative error during the case and awarded me over £4k compensation.

By April this year (before my off-set started) I worked out that I could be MF by December 2009 (14 years early). This date was based on other loans completing over the period and the monthly payments continuing into my off-set and included other things such as council tax (direct debit) holidays in Feb and March each year being reinvesetd.

I know, this is obsessive. It gets worse. My family, partner and three children (11, 9 and 6) were also getting in on the act. My partner was fortunate enough to get some free shares from Standard Life and we had religiously saved money for the children since each of them was born. As a family, (I was reluctant about the kids money, but perhaps easily persuaded), we decided to off-set this money as well. This amounted to another £15k. I have assured the kids that their money will be returned with a bonus, once we have stopped paying the mortgage using the extra disposable income we will have each month. We have also sacrificed our annual family holiday this year and next, but intend making up for it in 2008. The kids are already planning it.

Some of you may consider this last element of my obsession a step too far. What I say is that my interest payments have reduced from £650 per month fixed, to this month being less than £140, or from over £20 per day to less than £5 per day, and reducing all the time. I believe therefore, by the end of next year, my family will benefit hugely.

When my off-set started in July this year, my outstanding mortgage was £140k and due to finish in 18 years time (2024 - age 59). As it stands today, I will be mortgage free in April 2008 (age 43 and a bit). I think this is a result:T

One final loose end to tie up. Yes my off-set is fixed for five years and due to finish in 2011, so in effect I will have a mortgage on paper until then. However, becasue the money being off-set is in a savings account, it is money that will always be available to me for the duration of the mortgage term. Therefore everytime I get within say £5k of the mortgage total, I will draw down some of the savings and invest as a lump sum for the children or have a holiday or whatever else we choose at the time. I intend never to owe more than £15k or £20k each time paying a fixed monthly interest of about £70 or £80 each month. Seems like a cheap loan for anything.

Well thats my story, sorry it went on a bit, but I hope if nothing else it inspires someone out there.
  • shelagh
    shelagh Posts: 105 Forumite
    Hi DRP154
    i am totally inspired by your story, thanks for telling it. I do not think that you are obsessive or "odd" in any way I too am trying anything to become MF as soon as possible. Your story and those of others, like thefunkygibbons, are a great inspiration to us all.
    THANKS AGAIN
    Shelagh
  • To DRP2854, I really enjoyed reading your post. Most of your ideas are similiar to my own.

Good luck with it all.

Sue
  • save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Inspiring stuff DRP2854

I have 19 years left on a £74K mortgage, this year we remortgaged and got a fixed deal at 4.67% for 10 years and I plan that well within this 10 year fixed period we shall become mortgage free.

Currently we have £30K saved up and are dripping this cash into ISA's every year, so if we can save this money at rates that pay more interest than the mortgage rate then not overpaying is the most prudent thing to do - so that is the plan. Also, into the mix I have a SAYE share scheme that is looking as though it will be worth £10K+ in one years time if the share price at the place I work remains stable, this could go towards paying off the mortgage too. I reckon that another 8 years from today would be a reasonable amount of time before the mortgage is paid off, so hopefully 2014.
  • Yes inspiring stuff DRP2854,

You don't sound to dissimilar to myself with the fact that I will do almost anything to help pay my mortgage off early and the non-essentials (holidays, new car etc) can wait. The only exception is that I have just the one son (17 months) and would never touch his money mainly because not all of it has come from myself or my wife but was gifts from others etc. I totally understand your reasoning behind it and the fact that your children have a larger saving pop and overall it does make sense.

Saying that, my son is one of the may reasons we are paying my mortgage off to give him/us extra some security. Ideally I would like my wife to 'have the choice' to finish or go part time when my son starts school if she so wishes or for that matter even myself. :cool:

Yes it can become obsessive and I'm always trying find/make extra money to put towards reducing it further. I guess I'm lucky as my mortgage is no where near the size of today's market but my house value is still worth 4 times what I paid for it as well as not paying 25 years of interest.

To sum up, I'll be 34 when I finishing paying my mortgage off in Dec 2008 and that'll be 14.9 years early :j.

What a christmas 2008 will be!
    Regards,
    Dave

If only I had a pound for every time I used the thanks button :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business