PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Arrrrgh Estate Agents!

Options
Is it just me or my area or are all estate agents utterly useless and impossible to deal with.

If you're selling all they do is say you're house is worth whatever you think its worth and then encourage you to take to any offer so they get their fee.

If you're buying they send you any old junk in a blanket email and nothing like what you've asked for.

Even worse if you're an investor looking for a quick sale at a good price. I'm convinced they just let their mates in on any likely deals prior to them coming to the market. :money:

Comments

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yep, it's just you.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it just me or my area or are all estate agents utterly useless and impossible to deal with.

If you're selling all they do is say you're house is worth whatever you think its worth and then encourage you to take to any offer so they get their fee.

If you're buying they send you any old junk in a blanket email and nothing like what you've asked for.

Even worse if you're an investor looking for a quick sale at a good price. I'm convinced they just let their mates in on any likely deals prior to them coming to the market. :money:

And? If you're looking for a quick sale at a good price - their mates might be best placed to offer just that...
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I found them really helpful when I was buying, one arranged me an afternoon tour of multiple properties when I was traveling up and told me about the area as we went between them.
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds like I need to find some new ones!
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    NaughtiusMaximus Posts: 2,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 August 2018 at 4:29PM
    Options

Why bother asking them to send you anything at all? A customised Rightmove search for the price, area and type of property you're interested in is a much better option.
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Options
    Why bother asking them to send you anything at? A customised Rightmove search for the price, area and type of property you're interested in is a much better option.

I agree. I didn't ask for it.

We discussed the type of property I was looking to purchase. Which I was quite specific about. Then they began sending me all properties which they had that very vaguely fitted the price band and number of bedrooms, nothing more specific than that. I had to ask them to stop several times before they eventually did.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Options
    I found them mixed, the estate agent I bought via was very helpful. They weren't pushy. Others I looked at properties with actually sent me details of properties which did not meet my needs* and which were over budget. *to be fair they were fairly specific
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We sold a bungalow in Northamptonshire, we were living in Devon. We found a really EA who knew the area and it all went like clockwork.
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you in the North West? I've found the ones I've dealt to be the same as yours!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure