Bonds vs Equities

Ive been advised to hold a portion of my funds in bonds as a hedge on equities as their prices move in opposite directions. However what i see by intuition is that rising interest rates make both equities and bonds relatively less attractive. Rising interest rates usually denite tge end of a business cycle and a slump in equity prices. But rising interest rates also make fixed income bonds less appealing so where is the hedge?. Of I realise this is only my intuition as my knowledge of this is far from perfect.
One thing that confuses me is when the financial press talk about bond performance I cant tell if they mean price or yield.
Any light thrown on both these questions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• Iain_For
    Iain_For Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 August 2018 at 3:35PM
    To my mind the main reason to hold bonds in a portfolio is for their reduced volatility, especially currency volatility, rather than them being a hedge on global equity prices per se. Over time, even if bond prices fall as the yields on them then go up there is still a return (hopefully positive) as older bonds mature and are replaced with new. You can either construct such a bond ladder yourself or invest in a bond fund with a duration appropriate to your investment time horizon. As someone approaching retirement, I hold about 35% of my portfolio, which is globally diversified in terms of equities, in bonds with an average duration of 12 years, of those bonds around half are in sterling hedged global bonds, the rest in gilts.
  • Computer_Beginner
    Computer_Beginner Posts: 269 Forumite
    edited 21 August 2018 at 9:55PM
    Lozballa wrote: »
    Ive been advised to hold a portion of my funds in bonds as a hedge on equities as their prices move in opposite directions. However what i see by intuition is that rising interest rates make both equities and bonds relatively less attractive. Rising interest rates usually denite tge end of a business cycle and a slump in equity prices. But rising interest rates also make fixed income bonds less appealing so where is the hedge?. Of I realise this is only my intuition as my knowledge of this is far from perfect.
    One thing that confuses me is when the financial press talk about bond performance I cant tell if they mean price or yield.
    Any light thrown on both these questions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

I share your concerns.

My concern is that this advice reagarding bonds/equity proportions doesn't seem to have changed since QE from 2008 onwards.
    I don't think bonds have actually been tested in a post-QE downturn yet?
    I don't know that much about QE - if the govt (BoE) lends money to itself (Treasury dept), is that really 'debt' as we know it anyway? The BoE just created the currency on a computer screen and (apparently?) they're planning to delete it again. Sometime. (QT). It's all just hocus-pocus really.

Other hedges against stock market downturn could be:
    gold
    farmland (problems here - see my other thread!)
    defensive stocks (utilities, pharm, healthcare, household goods - Unilever etc)

and possibly:
    forestry - maybe not as packaging and housebuilding decline in recesion - see other thread - not straightforward!
    aerospace and defence - the civilian airlines may take a hit in a global downturn (less holidays). Plus maybe less business travel anyway - with improved Skype meetings etc?
    Defence companies - probably better off with Chinese than USA, as USA gradually reduces as a super-power (but that's probably very longterm).
    Selling off the UK's gold reserves at USD 276 per ounce was a really good idea, which I will not citicise in any way.
  • Iain_For wrote: »
    To my mind the main reason to hold bonds in a portfolio is for their reduced volatility, especially currency volatility, rather than them being a hedge on global equity prices per se.

+1 - to my mind too, the point is more that they have low volatility, rather than having low or negative correlation. (Correlation between assets becomes moot if one asset in the pair is very low in volatility.)

I found this from Lars Kroijer helpful in how I think about it - including the role of bank accounts as a potential alternative.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Logically if interest rates rise bond prices should fall and since most investors probably expect interest rates to rise over the next few year why invest in bonds at all at this time and expect to lose money? Keep what you would have put in bonds as cash for the time being.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Others might argue that since interest rates are already forecast to rise rather than fall, that rise will already be factored in to today's bond price so its only an unexpected larger rate rise which will catch bonds out.[/FONT]
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Tom99 wrote: »
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Logically if interest rates rise bond prices should fall and since most investors probably expect interest rates to rise over the next few year why invest in bonds at all at this time and expect to lose money? Keep what you would have put in bonds as cash for the time being.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Others might argue that since interest rates are already forecast to rise rather than fall, that rise will already be factored in to today's bond price so its only an unexpected larger rate rise which will catch bonds out.[/FONT]

If interest rates go up and bond prices fall, then if you own a bond fund and reinvest you'll be using larger % interest payments to buy cheaper bonds.....eventually you get back to even. You have to have a long term perspective, well at least the average maturity.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    But rising interest rates also make fixed income bonds less appealing so where is the hedge?

If both equities and bonds fall at the same time, the fall in equities will be two to four times greater than bonds (caveat being you dont say what bonds).

Bonds are there to reduce the volatility of a portfolio. Not to make the more money. No is unhappy when portfolios grow. The test is when they fall in value and how you react. If you cant handle a 45% loss in value, then that is where bonds come into play.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure