Being ‘tight’ with money - how tight are you with yours?

Options

Comments

• pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Like others, I think it depends on your situation. People would see me as tight, but I am a single mum to two kids with a job that mightn't last that much longer.

I overpay my mortgage to the point where I am tight with everything else, but then I am mortgaged up to my eyeballs due to various things that have happened in my life.

For me it's about financial security. Once I get the monthly payment down to what I feel I can pay on a lower paid job (as I doubt I will get one that pays what I get now), then I might let myself relax a little.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    Like others, I think it depends on your situation. People would see me as tight, but I am a single mum to two kids with a job that mightn't last that much longer.

I overpay my mortgage to the point where I am tight with everything else, but then I am mortgaged up to my eyeballs due to various things that have happened in my life.

For me it's about financial security. Once I get the monthly payment down to what I feel I can pay on a lower paid job (as I doubt I will get one that pays what I get now), then I might let myself relax a little.

You aren't tight, you are wise.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tight is an opinion, a perception, and varies from person to person.

I used to buy rounds for a couple where she never bought one. When I demurred from getting another round as he had finished his so quickly I think I got the reputation for being tight. Never had the same issue with other couples who recognised the disparity.

As a singleton over 25 years with one company I contributed for retirements, new babies, weddings (including _very_ short-lived marriages) but then I volunteered for redundancy and was gone all within a week, so no reciprocation there either. It didn't matter as I was so glad to get out. :D

Spend on what interests you, and not on what other people think you should spend it on. I happen to not have a telly, initially through inertia when one broke down, and then from lack of desire. It's not to save money !!!!!!!
  • Lrimas
    Lrimas Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    I am a tiny bit obsessed with becoming financially independent so I'm currently saving most of my income. I call myself semi-frugal as I do sometimes splurge on things I don't really need.

Once I'm financially independent it will give me options on what to do with the rest of my life: if I want to travel (on a budget) for a year or volunteer I have the option to do it. If I want to live in luxury I can work for that priviledge. But I won't have to do a job I don't enjoy anymore just to survive.

My ex was 'tight' with money. I remember he once bought me flowers and when I thanked him he replied with: "I got them on special".
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    pafpcg wrote: »
    Our parents grew up in the depression years in a Northern working-class society when thrift and 'make do and mend' were not just virtues but necessities - my partner and I have inherited those traits - my spendthift siblings haven't!
    That just doesn't make sense. If they didn't inherit those traits then they wouldn't be spendthrifts, would they.
  • haras_nosirrah
    haras_nosirrah Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2018 at 6:27PM
    Options
    I would call myself frugal rather than tight

I buy yellow sticker meat at the supermarket (lidl) and freeze until I need it. I aim to get our food bill around £50 a week for 4 of us. I also shop around for bargains, pay a reasonable amount into my pension, make do and mend as much as possible. I don't see the point in paying more for neccessities than I have to.

However I did recently pay for myself and 6 friends to stay overnight in a hotel in Brighton because I am the most well off and got a bonus and wanted to have a weekend away and some of the others are financially struggling so I shouted the hotel (a 3 bed and a 4 bed room in a hotel for £400 between us all) - It made me happy to share a bit of my good fortune.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 638 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That just doesn't make sense. If they didn't inherit those traits then they wouldn't be spendthrifts, would they.

Counterintuitively, spendthrift means "a person who spends money in an extravagant, irresponsible way."
  • Vet
    Vet Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nothing wrong with monitoring your cash. My partner and I aim to spend around £50/week between 2 of us on food, we go out maybe once a month (we have to work some weekends per month - so days off together are rare). We both get our accommodation paid for by work but we both drive normal small cars despite having a couple thousand pounds spare at the end of the month between us. We're saving up for a house but looking to put down at least 30-40% of a deposit just to make the mortgage easier later on.
    If you live well within your means then you wont go wrong :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Never be friends with anybody who thinks you're tight - they have serious narcissistic and self-importance traits ... it's a form of bullying in the main.
  • MisterMotivated
    Options
    Some of my friends/family probably think I'm tight, but I would say I'm frugal. When I was younger, I used to spend money without a care in the world. Eventually I decided to start a spreadsheet to track where it all went (something I've continued ever since) and, after seeing how much was wasted, started to save relatively successfully. About a decade ago, my life was massively disrupted by my employer at the time. After that, I vowed to get myself into a position asap where I wouldn't be at the mercy of some senior manager repeatedly shifting jobs/staff all round the country for the sake of saving a bit of money.

Whilst I wouldn't say I'm completely financially independent, I am at least at a stage where I could at least cover all my monthly bills/living costs with income from various investments (with a respectable cash savings buffer for any unforeseen expenses) if I were to become unemployed.

I don't waste money, and have become rather opposed to the idea of having "stuff" just for the sake of it, but if I genuinely need something I'll happily go out and buy it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure