From debt to freedom...

Options

Comments

• Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Left my purse at home today so I've had a NSD #2 for December:).
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Great advice thank you! It's in a pot with a bit of space around it (came with the bulb) - so possibly it has too much space. I'm a bit reluctant to disturb it now but if it goes out of doors after the frosts it would have room to put on weight for next year.

It's possible the foliage was cut down too soon. I don't see any die-back in the truncated ends but they are rather short.

Thank you for the mention of Sarah Raven! I hadn't seen her site before and apart from my instantly wanting some tulips that are advertised on the front page, it's very useful. I see I've planted the bulb more deeply than she suggests so perhaps that's the culprit?
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Sadly not a NSD today. DD3 has an overnight school trip to London tomorrow which needs a full packed lunch box ( hence extra food spending) and £30 to pay for a meal at the service station on the way back and any snacks. I think that breakfast on Friday and Thursday's evening meal is included but everything else either has to go with her or she needs to be able to buy. The £30 figure is the school's recommendation so am hoping she might be able to bring some of it back...

Ended up getting a pair of leggings, which I'll team with a T-shirt for DD5's Christmas play costume and bought a man's T shirt for DD4 to wear as a tunic for her play costume. I'm hoping that piece of cardboard and some tin foil can be teamed up to make the props!

Am struggling to think of ideas for presents that are affordable. The toddler was easy! The younger DDs will be happy with any toy or game based presents so they will be easy enough to sort out but the teenagers are definitely more difficult!!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 December 2017 at 12:52AM
    Options
    £30 for a meal at a service station?? :eek: I know they're overpriced but for one that's way too excessive and that was the school's recommendation, jeez what do they eat when travelling. Unless they meant £30 pocket money to include eating at a service station. Meanwhile my 14yo's school keeps taking them to see poor calibre theatre shows for GCSE drama because they have to watch something live. The kids have protested and said can't they watch something of a better standard and been told no cos it's too expensive. Parents pay anyway, and I'd rather pay to watch 1 good thing rather than 3 shoddy ones.

Anyway I hope your DD had a lovely time on her school trip and fingers crossed she had some change to return to you. xx

What ages and genders are the teens? I was reading the main site earlier about maximising make up gifts at the minute by buying the 2 cheapest things from a range that is offering a free gift when you spend £x

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/deals-hunter/2017/12/05/how-to-max-free-gift-offers/
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 December 2017 at 10:02AM
    Options
    Thank you for the link, Spendless. I should have clarified, the £30 was to include a meal at the service station! Very pleased that DD3 was money savvy and returned £10 to me, bless her.

DS1 has been muttering about gym membership. There is a small gym near his school that does a range of memberships including a junior option so am going to look into that. I'd rather get him something that is useful, that he would appreciate.

The other teens are female. I think I'll wait til DD1 comes home then see if there are any boots she likes in our local shoe shop. Again trying to think practically and get her something she needs as much as likes. She does love footwear so I know she'll enjoy them.

Just the other 2 teen girls to consider as the younger girls are happy with playmobil type toys. I know they get hours of fun and make up games together!
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    I've been battling some kind of bug...an occupational hazard! Slowing starting to get more energy as I've been very tired for the last week or so. I'd not even done any baking for a week which is unheard of! Normal service resumed on Thursday with a batch of brownies so am hoping to play catch up today.

Must must must get cards written today as well! Next week is very busy with school nativity plays on Tuesday and Wednesday. It's a wonderful time of the year!

First flowers are in bloom on the camellia in the garden. Usually it flowers on or around Boxing Day but was amazed ro see colour this week.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Camellias are beautiful. :) It's amazing how even a single flower really catches the imagination this time of year.

I hope you're on the mend now? Some lurgies are going the rounds: I hope the frost puts an end to them.

Re: buying for teenager girls... I'm just trying to think what I got for DD when she was that age. She is so easy to buy for, and to spend loads on! If one of these is the cookery enthusiast, would some baking equipment be possible? My kids all remember that one year I bought them good quality pizza baking trays. They all still use them! DD dropped big hints for a good quality spatula this year so there's one of those in her stocking, and a recipe book. There are always magazine subscriptions too, for those who have particular interests.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Ooooo magazine subscriptions, that's a good idea. Thank you Cherryfudge.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    I was saving £10 a week for Christmas and had been from January until I had to use the saved money to survive August. From Sept I'd changed the standing order to saving £10 a month which isn't brilliant but at least the savings from September were enough to buy the staff secret santa gift and to pay for my Christmas meal, so those costs don't have to be squeezed out of the December budget.:). I don't often have time away from the children, or meals out, so
    I enjoyed the staff do on Friday!

Yesterday I bought Christmas cards for the children to give to their friends ( which mounts up to quite a few cards!) but bought them on a 3 for 2 offer.

I have the menu sorted for the week so am hoping that the only thing I need to buy is milk as we get low.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Who invented Christmas jumper days??!! Found out that the younger 2 have Christmas jumper day on Friday. I've never bought Christmas jumpers for them before as I've not seen the point of buying something that they will wear for a very limited period and will have grown out of by next year. However neither do I want them to end up being the only 2 in uniform on Friday. I got a jumper each from Mr T's but feel frustrated with myself for spending that money when it could have been used elsewhere.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family