Reclaim lost assets for free discussion

Comments

• MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    articlealert.gif

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Reclaim Lost Assets For Free Article.

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

I have an amount going out of my bank account which i know is for a life insurance policy taken out a long time ago, i cannot find the policy and am not even sure which company it is with, can i use this to find out
  • One thing to think about is whether these accounts will be closed when the money has been paid out. I wanted to open a savings account a couple of years ago and phoned a building society to ask if I could reactivate an old account that still had £20 in it but hadn't been used for about 20 years. I was treated wth breathtaking hostility and essentially told to get lost. They clearly thought I was a carpetbagger hoping to get a payout if they turned into a bank. I was a bit narked about this as they still have some of my money and made it clear they did not intend to give it to me, and at one time I had a lot more on deposit with them. I haven't really known what to do about it and it was such a small amount it didn't seem worth chasing. I do wonder what the situation is with bulding societies though, I'm not sure if turning into banks is still in fashion, but if it is, are old account holders eligible for any payouts? Will they lose tis eligibility of the withdraw all their lost assets?
  • After reading the article, an alarm bell rang loudly in my head. I lost my Dad recently and my Aunt asked me for his Death certificate as she needed it for some insurance thing ( she was very vague..), as she says she has been paying a policy that she took over from my Dads sister a few years back. I haven't sent anything to her as I was a bit suspicious about it but I forgot about it with everything going on.
    This is the first time I have heard any mention of this policy and I wont get any honest answers from my Aunt (especially if it involves any money).
    Is there any way I can find out if this policy exists and why would she need my Dads details, I would have thought that anything with my Dads name on it would go to his daughter(me) and not his neice.
    Any help or advice on this would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • Hi, wonder if anyone worked for Glaxo Operations around 1976 and the same around 1984. I have tried finding my pension entitlement without avail. Present Pension department/HR can not find any record of my employment. I do not retain any payslips/P60 from that date and so have drawn a blank.
    Anyone have any suggestions where to persue from here?
  • At great effort two years ago I managed to trace five pension policies I now hold with London Life who's combined transfer values total some £9,000. As these were established in 1988/89 and in three cases the transfer value is a great deal less than the funds invested now close on 20 years ago understandably I want these funds transferred.

I have had an almost comical run around from London Life for the last 14 months where they asked for increasingly difficult tasks for example letters from the trustees of the new trust even certified original trust deeds and amendments. Last August they hit on a requirement I cannot meet. They required a trustee of the plan to come into force only should I have died whom I have lost contact with since 1990. I know his name is Ian Bailey and that he was living in Birmingham in 1990 but cannot trace him through online services and have spent £380 trying to do so.

Is there any simple way I can end this farce and force Mr. Lee Leggett of London Life to do the right thing? Further do I have any recourse for the wanton way my assets have been managed by London Life?

Many thanks for looking at this,

Tristram Norriss
  • haynrich
    haynrich Posts: 954 Forumite
    Hi all, does anyone know if there is a site that searches worldwide. lost mum a few weeks ago and know that she had accounts in spain as she lived there for a while... anyway is there any way to trace them? any help appriciated as we have no information at all..
    many thanks
    haynrich
    1. Tv2. Mobile phone3. Holiday/ break UK4. Ipad5. Cash or vouchers6. Toys7. Something for the kitchen8. beauty items/make up9. Hamper10. games console11. A huge unexpected suprise
  • hi does anyone out there know what happened to burnly building scoiety customer accounts when it was taken over by national provincial. The reason I ask is that i have a savers book and when i tried to find out I got a letter from Abbey telling me the account was now with them. Now 6 months later they say they made a mistake and they cannot trace the account.

I still have the old pass book from Burnley Building Society with some cash still in it.
  • Meltdown_2
    Meltdown_2 Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Post
    Burnley BS merged with the Provincial BS in 1984 to form the National & Provincial BS.
    This was taken over in 1995 by Abbey National.

That seems to indicate to me that Abbey ARE responsible for Burnley accounts, despite what they said in the letter (and it seems amazing that they could think otherwise).
    If I understand correctly, they seem now to be accepting that, and are falling back on the argument that they are so incompetent that they have lost the details of an account with them...
    Since you have the pass book (and assuming there is no indication on it that it has been closed), I would say that you have a clear case of entitlement to the cash.
    It is up to Abbey to prove otherwise.
    Imprudent granting of credit is bound to prove just as ruinous to a bank as to any other merchant.
    (Ludwig von Mises)

• thank you for your response. They are saying they have implemented a new system since my 1st application and now there is no record of my account. But! this is a isolated case and they usually give a top rate service.??
    I still have the passbook and interest statements right up to 1978.
    But I might let them keep the money cos they obviously need it for their new system (and rejection letters)
  • My other question regarding the Burnley Building Society would be, what were the members offered when they were taken over by the Provincial and what were the conditions.
    Thank you in anticipation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure