PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Building Regulations Completion Certificate

Hi All

Looking for some advice :)
Almost ready to exchange and just waiting on one query.

The local searches failed to show a building regulations completion certificate on the 5 year old property we are purchasing.

We have the Buildmark cover note, are these not one and the same?

The solicitor emailed today saying...

" the sellers solicitor is chasing NHBC and the developer for confirmation that the completion certificate relating to the development of the property is covered by NHBC since there is no notice of a completion certificate revealed in your local search"

Any advice please, and what will happen if it cannot be found?

We were aiming to exchange on Friday 24th with view to complete on 31st

thanks in advance

Comments

• You can ask the seller to get insurance to cover this risk - the insurance can be obtained v quickly and so t be expensive and ought to be a seller cost.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It will exist. It might be in a bulk approval with other houses on the development rather than under your postcode.

One of those times where it's probably fine to contact building control directly to help find it. You wouldn't have an NHBC certificate without Building Control Approval.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • jo03gra
    jo03gra Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you, I have emailed the building control to check if they can offer any assistance.

If it cannot be located, and bearing in mind we are hoping to exchange on Friday, who arranges the insurance, is that the seller of the property and what type of insurance would that be?
  • Doozergirl
    edited 22 August 2018 at 8:40AM
    I don't think indemnity insurance is an option for missing paperwork on the actual house if it's under 10 years old. It's not mortgageable without it.

It does exist. Someone needs to find it.

If you want to exchange on Friday, someone needs to find it quickly. A phone call, or even a visit, to the council is likely to be quicker than an email.
  • jo03gra
    Hi Doozergirl,

I took your advice and messaged Building Control direct yesterday evening, and a lady has already replied stating she is already dealing with an enquiry regarding the address and she is waiting for confirmation from building surveyor.

Can only hope the surveyor replies quickly. Feel so out of control, and all along my buyer is getting ever more twitchy :(
  • Doozergirl
    That's good news!

Twitchy buyers need their expectations managing. Are they a FTB?
  • jo03gra
    No she is a teacher who wants to move before she's back in school, she has a FTB buying her house so possibly they are pushing too.

She's had fairly unrealistic expectations this past few weeks. She only offered on my property mid June, so we're not doing too bad as a chain goes. My EA is getting ear ache from her though which he's kindly passing on to me. She was threatening to pull out or complete in October school holidays if we don't complete in August.

I think a lot of the issue is the EA hasn't managed her expectations....I was always lead to expect 8-12 weeks with no chain? However I am new to all this as I part exchanged for a new build last time and that was so easy in comparison.

Here's hoping we receive news on this certificate today!

p.s. is it normal this cert issue be flagged up so late on?

thanks
  • Doozergirl
    Oh, you posted about her the other day? Bad luck!

Something has to be last minute, doesn't it? Everything else gets sorted but there has to always be one last outstanding item in the order of things. It's not last minute, it's just the last thing. It's really good going if you're only eight weeks in with a chain!

Bear in mind (as your buyer doesn't!) that we don't really get to set our own dates for these things. The conveyancing is done when it's done and we're usually very lucky if we hit the first target date that gets set arbitrarily by the people who have the least control over the dates :o

I know it's hard to be relaxed when others in the chain aren't, though!
  • jo03gra
    I keep being told 'she just wants to get this over the line now'

'she's been ready for weeks'

so on and so on.....:mad:
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    BTW teachers are allowed a day off when they move house
    #justsaying
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors