PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Just bought and worried sick

ric1982
ric1982 Posts: 222 Forumite
edited 22 August 2018 at 7:57AM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi,

We have just completed our first purchase. (Thanks to all on this forum who helped us out. I really appreciate it. btw)
Background: The house has extension build over sewage pipe which is also "strategic sewage" from water company's viewpoint. I believe this means that the sewage under question is main sewage (i.e. collects stuff from neighbouring property and runs under veranda (side access) of our house.

The extension was build in 2003 at the time only council used to give the completion certificate. No build over agreement were required only CC was sufficient. This is also confirmed by Water company. So all documents are in order.

I have came across this post.. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=66654209 The PO of that thread has only one post and its old so I suppose he/she is not active on this forum. There are various suggestions on that thread but doesn't have any outcome or definitive process which one can take.

This has similar build as we have and it seems like water company refuse to repair or give permission (even at my own expense) to repair sewage pipe if they think its "not major problem"!!!

I am really worried sick thinking if this could happen with us etc. (I am someone who would worry about things more then usual but I cant find any information which put my mind at rest).

This comes under Severn Trent water company btw.

Thanks

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You're worrying about something that hasn't happened? Why? What's the point of that? Why were you even looking for threads like that? I think you need to thank whatever voice is whispering those sweet nothings in your ear for it's opinion, followed by swiftly telling it to foxtrot oscar.

Your house is not unusual by any stretch of the imagination. It's very common and people are still allowed to build over sewers, so it's not a problem at all. Severn Trent will look after the sewer if there is a genuine problem. The OP probably did get it sorted in the end.

You have no problem, so why worry about it? Get yourself a CCTV survey of the drains and their condition, if you want to set your mind at rest (it's a good idea as part of due dilignece when buying anyway) but you might be better with a couple of self help books about anxiety and how our brains trick us into worrying with any genuine reason. :o

Chill :)
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Doozergirl
    You did just prompt me to fire off an email to a client about the drains on their new purchase, so I should thank you for that.

It has four bathrooms and only one visible waste pipe which is far from three of the bathrooms, so I want to check the condition and positions and that they discharge to the correct sewers. :)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    At least a month ago, you were advised to get a drain survey. Now it seems that advice was sound, but it's still not too late for peace of mind.
  • Doozergirl
    Davesnave wrote: »
    At least a month ago, you were advised to get a drain survey. Now it seems that advice was sound, but it's still not too late for peace of mind.

I knew it was rreally familiar but thought we'd addressed it, several times, at the time.

OP, you should have had that survey. It seems bonkers to still be worrying when you knew what the answer was before you bought. Is your anxiety paralysing you? You need to get past it and make just one phone call, if you can, to a Dynorod type of company. The pain of worrying is far worse than just getting it reviewed.

Come and tell us when you've done it.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ric1982 wrote: »
    I am really worried sick thinking if this could happen with us etc. (I am someone who would worry about things more then usual but I cant find any information which put my mind at rest).

If you're "worried sick" about that, you should also be worried about being hit by a bus every time you cross the world, nuclear war, and alien abduction - a sewer pipe pales into insignificance when faced with the rectal probe, and if we've learnt anything from alien abductions, they always, always, use the rectal probe....
  • ric1982
    ric1982 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Hi,

Having thought about this, I think you are right. I do worry too much about things that may or may not happen. If its not drainage then may be something else I would find things to worry about! So I think need to invest in some positive mindset coaching books and just enjoy my first house move.

Many thanks for your inputs (some really funny one, I guess I deserve them :) ).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure