Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What's SMETS2 ?
    Currently SMETS 1 smart meters are not easily transferable to new suppliers. SMETS 2 should fix that.

There is a plan to eventually remotely update SMETS 1 firmware to SMETS 2 standard but I would't hold my breath.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Sapphire wrote: »
    I'm on 'Simple & Summertime' from September. The payments have increased by £3 per month.

I was quite satisfied with Avro during the last year, but my trust in them has gone down since them. This is mainly due to their poor customer service after I received a renewal email from them (being kept hanging on the phone for more than 15 minutes, the operative not being able to help once I was finally put through to someone, she promising someone would ring me back on that day and they never did, the renewal button not working and the price changing for renewal every time I looked at the relevant page, them not answering emails despite advising me to email them in the renewal email, and so on). I never had such problems with my current tariff, and even phoned Avro a couple of times this past year with no such issues.

I've renewed my tariff with them and will have to see how it goes. I don't want a repetition of the above problems in future. They need to improve their customer relations if they want to retain customers and attract new ones.

Avro come out as top for me no matter how much usage i put in ?!
  • beardiedog
    beardiedog Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    Just looked at Bulb prices. For my usage, they are quite pricey and they, as you say, only offer a variable rate. They are only around £10 cheaper per year than the current Octopus fixed deal. Edit: Sorry, just spotted the £30 dual fuel discount - that makes a difference to my figure above. Should be £41 cheaper than Octopus. Still, I want a fixed deal, not variable.

So my current choice is Eversmart fixed - really cheap (£699 per year for me - the same as my IRESA deal before they went bust), or bite the bullet and move onto the Octopus fixed deal (£815 per year) for added security.

I never had a problem with IRESA (over 18 months) so I'm tempted to take a chance with Eversmart.

Obviously it's dependent on where you live. Bulb is £118 pa cheaper than Octopus for me. Usio £129. Bulb say they'll give 60 days notice of a price increase so plenty of time to switch if needs be.
  • We had sudden payment difficulties. We had to stop running the business and my husband found a well paid job quickly. But we knew he wouldn’t get paid for two months. Every other organisation was extremely helpful. Not Avro. We went through constant bile from the accounts department after informing them in advance, angry that I’d dared to cancel the direct debit, wouldn’t lower the monthly rate for a few months by more than £10, told us that we’d have to pay late fees and go on the higher tariff (both lies), complained that our account was in arears (because we started in November and had paid every bill perfectly before then). That’s when I could get through, as they arbitrarily closed down the phoneline twice. I’m now looking to leave them early in the contract because I don’t see why such an unpleasant company should get my custom, even though I lose a couple of months of lower cost energy.
  • bri160356
    bri160356 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Avro come out as top for me no matter how much usage i put in ?!

I opted for a switch from Avro to Yorkshire Energy just 3 days ago because their Green Seahorse 12-months fixed rate zero fees tariff was coming up as just about the cheapest fixed zero fees tariff on MSE and Uswitch.

However, I’ve just discovered that Eversmart’s ‘Welcome Home’ tariff is really a fixed rate zero fees tariff and NOT a variable tariff as shown on MSE’s (and Uswitch) comparison site.

My proposed switch to Yorks.Energy will cost me £1310/year;…a switch to Eversmart is £1198/year,… so it’s £112/year cheaper which is not a bad saving is it?

At the moment a switch to Avro’s Simple&Summerfix tariff would cost me £1318/year;…that’s £120/year more than Eversmart.

However, Eversmart’s feedback has to be described as ‘mixed’ to say the least;…but it’s feedback nonetheless. Yorkshire Energy have very limited feedback at the moment

I spoke to Eversmart this morning and had a slightly confusing conversation with them about their ‘Welcome Home’ tariff conundrum and I’ve posted a few more details on the Eversmart feedback thread, for anyone remotely interested. :)
  • I switched to Avro Energy via Cheap Energy Club on a 12 months fixed tariff.
    I've been paying £96 per month for the past 10 months and am currently £136 in credit, which indicates that my payments are too high. This credit hasn't accrued to get through the winter because the tariff finishes at the end of September.
    I recently contacted them for a quote to renew for the next 12 months.
    They told me the monthly payment needed to go up to £102 per month (later changed to £95), ignoring the fact that the credit (estimated to be £156 by end of September) would be carried forward
    I used 328 KWh of gas in July. For their calculations to be correct I would have to use 1913KWh of gas in August and the same in September. This is highly unlikely; it's not winter yet is it?
    After challenging their figures and proving I only needed to pay £84 per month on the new tariff, taking my credit into account, they still insisted it should be £95 per month going forward.
    When I asked them to justify it they didn't reply to my email.
    Customer service reps don't seem to be very knowledgeable and set the payments to what they feel like but when you ask them to justify their figures they can't.
  • admars
    admars Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I got a renewal email yesterday, gone up £8pm on previous tariff, so went to MSE price compare, and the fox one is chepaer than what I'm paying now by a couple of quid! So I'll switch to them, better check out their thread first :)
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    edited 22 August 2018 at 11:44AM
    greencd43, with Avro they take a payment in advance of joining them so £96 of the credit could be down to that but you need to look at the annual Kwh usage on the September bill when it arrives. Like all of the energy companies prices have risen since last September and Avro prices going forward from September are 11% higher hence the increase in DD. I was lucky to renew at the beginning of August for my new contract starting in September and just a 5% increase.
  • I signed up to MSE’s Cheap Energy Club last year and have no regrets whatsoever; it is simply brilliant. It firstly recommended that I move to Arvo which I truly did and everything went really well during the switch. I’ve had good comms with them and had no surprises. 3 months in and MSE’s Cheap Energy Club emailed to say that a better tariff (but remaining with Arvo) was available which I duly applied to Arvo to switch to. Again, no dramas and everything has gone well for the 12 months that I have been on this tariff.

Unfortunately this is now coming to an end and Arvo aren’t as competitive so I’m afraid that I will be taking MSE Cheap Energy Club’s advice and moving to another provider. I must stress that it is with regret that I do this as I do rate them as being very good but they’re not even close to what the Club’s best suggestion is; they are about £100 more expensive.

In summary, for customer service and professionalism, I highly recommend Arvo and would have no hesitation in returning to them.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Perhaps you'll let us know how the switch goes for you.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback