Back to try again..

Comments

• pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Really hope you get a good night!!!8217;s rest. Makes all the difference.
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • Robin09
    Robin09 Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 18 August 2018 at 8:33PM
    Today reminded me that when things don't go to plan, how quickly the budgets can be blown!

We left early this morning for our day out. Didn't even make it there :( roadworks that were meant to have finished last weekend shut the road again, it took us over 2 hours to do 3.5 miles and then we was diverted in the wrong direction. We knew we would never make it on time so we have rearranged to go again on next month's session. One very disappointed 5 year old who had a good cry about it, I think we all felt like crying at one point though. Although I am grateful it was just road closures and not an accident that was the cause of it all.

I had made us a packed lunch to take but not as much as normal as at group they provide a campfire lunch that is alway plentiful. So, after hours we finally made it out of the queues and stopped off at a bargain shop to get some extra drinks and a quick snack and ended up spending £40+ :eek: DD was thrilled with her new space hopper for the garden though :cool: I did stock up on things like fabric softener but still would never have been spent if things had gone to plan. Also needed to put more petrol in (£25) and then I booked tickets tomorrow for trampoline park (£24) will also need to pay bridge tolls. By the time we got home it was past dinner, we was all aching after so long stuck in the car and we wanted something quick for dinner, so went to the shop and bought frozen pizzas (£7)

What an expensive weekend this is turning out to be.
    SPC 076
  • pidge04
    I feel your pain!!!
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • Sounds familiar! At least you noticed though, and the other days you've been able to keep outgoings low will have helped cushion it. Aww, hope you get the day you planned next time. The spacehopper sounds fun :-)
    Starting debt (Aug 2018) £17,900
    Debt free September 2021
  • What a shame about the road closure thwarting your plans. Hope your day out at the trampoline park goes well.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Robin09
    Thank you all!! Today was a much better day, definitely helped by finally getting a decent sleep last night.

We booked a early slot for trampolining, so we could be home to eat for lunch. Took our own drink bottles to save buying them there and then refilled at water fountain. It is expensive for a hour activity but it's not something they do often as it's not close by and they do really enjoy it. Great exercise too. Sun come out in the afternoon so they were out playing in the garden most of they day. Space hopper is definitely a hit with DD.

Saved £15 on shopping this week as I stocked up on some bits yesterday, so that covered some of what was spent.

Also managed to save us some money for our trip away to see my Nan. We were going to be staying in a B&B as there wasn't much options left in the area when we booked. It was £180+ for a family room, I had already gave the money to my mum as she had booked on her card. But today I spotted a last minute opening for a short stay in a self catering cottage. Will massively keep our food costs down as will be able to cook there and my share is only £100 :j feeling lucky to have spotted it as I have always had to book well in advance to get a SC cottage there, especially in the holidays.

Aiming to have at least 3 NSD's this week, fingers crossed.
    SPC 076
  • pidge04
    All sounds very positive! So glad you got a good sleep.
  • Robin09
    Thanks again, Pidge. Nothing better than a good sleep.

Today, DS is refusing to budge from his bed. DD is happy to stay home and is currently making a den is my bedroom. So, I'm cracking on with housework, will do my bedroom last :rotfl:

I have too many nic naks that are collecting dust, so really need to have another sort out. I am always trying to make this house as clean and tidy as possible but it definitely needs decorating again. DC have not long had their rooms done so they are good for now. I know we have some wallpaper and random pots of paints in the garage, so will see what we have and what else we will need to buy. So, I am thinking I will put a decorating 'pot' onto my savings list and see how we do. My lists of things need saving for are getting longer and longer though :o

2 weeks until school starts, these holidays are going so quickly. Still want to take DD Pottery painting as that is one thing she asked to do, usually costs around £10 depending on what she chooses, still have £45 in the school holidays pot. Should be able to have a few free days out of the house, before we go away the end of next week.
    SPC 076
  • Robin09
    A lovely day out today to celebrate best friends DD's birthday. We met at the local stream/picnic area. It was definitely chillier today so wasn't as busy as it has been the last few weeks. Lots of fun, games and party food and we ended up staying for nearly 5 hours. Her gift and card were bought last month and was budgeted for :)

No money spent, also still have £17 from my weekly money too. I have put the £7 away as DD has a little day out with school when she goes back, so that's it covered.

Both DC said today that they have enjoyed these holidays so far, was happy to hear that :)
    SPC 076
  • pidge04
    That is really lovely. What a lovely thing for them to say. I have really learned this summer that we do not need to go to every activity and on every outing going. We both need simple things and activities. The beach, the park, pottering at home. She is happy doing those things.
    You are doing so well. You should feel very proud of yourself.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback