Travel insurance query

2»

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm not really sure a helicopter rescue for an arthritic toe would be required

:-)
    It might be an example of where you have unfortunately fallen foul of rules.
    e.g. cruise company wanting full cover and insurer not wanting anyone on waiting list.

Please let us know how you get on.
  • lisyloo
    Just a thought but if you think the risks are absolutely negligeable then why not just go and sign the form?
    I realise this is technically bad advice but we all take risks every time we get into a car/plane.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    If you intended to cancel after discovering you aren't now fully covered then you need to do so quickly -; the longer you leave it the cancellation charges may be increasing and less the likelihood of you being successful in a claim for full recompense

If your wife's condition has any contribution to any incident even if only indirectly will allow your insurer to reject any claim for medical assistance/ helicopter rescue etc
  • lisyloo
    the longer you leave it the cancellation charges may be increasing

He said its next week. Not sure how they increase from what is almost certainly 100%.

even if only indirectly

This is a very good point e.g. trips due to pain in toe, bangs head and is airlifted with serious head injury.

One has to consider likelihood though and if this is akin to being struck by lightning then I'd have to say I'd probably go and sign the form.
  • Foxtrotter
    Foxtrotter Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2018 at 10:47AM
    Things seem to be progressing ok now. The insurers have confirmed that we can either accept the restriction or cancel the cruise and submit a full cancellation claim.

The travel agent is discussing the issue with the cruise line. Just waiting n an update on that.

I have found several insurers who will provide full cover. A bit more expensive than the original insurer, but still an option.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Foxtrotter wrote: »
    I have found several insurers who will provide full cover. A bit more expensive than the original insurer, but still an option.

Ask the original insurer if they will pay for the full cover from the alternative insurers, as an alternative to you putting in a claim for cancellation.
  • Foxtrotter
    Foxtrotter Posts: 18 Forumite
    All sorted now. Found a new insurer who will cover the condition and the original insurers offered a full refund of premiums.
  • Roughly my questions are:
    A) is there a statute of limitations on travel insurance (specifically ours was with More Than.
    B) can you make a claim after you have left a company?

Here's the scenario:

Our son visited overseas, in 2006. We had travel insurance in place for him. War broke out and his flight home was cancelled. He was rescued by the British Navy along with others. He lost his suitcase full of clothing and belongings as well as gifts to bring home. They refused to take anyone's luggage apart from handbags etc.

The airline refused to talk to me about a refund (Air France) at the time, I do remember that clearly! But I kept the ticket stubs & receipt, newspaper clippings etc from the episode.

We are now moving home and going through all the old stuff to throw out and I found the bits and pieces as well as our old travel insurance policy. The policy does NOT state anything about 'you have 12 months to make a claim' or anything similar I can see.

Could I make a claim now I can tie the two up? At the time it didn't enter into my mind as 'he' was our priority, but I am curious and wonder if I could? Time passed and the papers were put away in storage when we had other life changing issues to deal with (partner had brain tumour/triple bypass & failed knee replacement and we almost lost our house).

Any advice or experience of similar?

I have put in a claim through Resolver to Air France, but am still awaiting a response (had nothing at all!!) and it is now 'escalated' to the highest level on there.

I will admit that finances are tight, especially with downsizing, so any extra cash would be welcomed!
  • lisyloo
    edited 21 August 2018 at 10:17AM
    The policy does NOT state anything about 'you have 12 months to make a claim' or anything similar I can see.
    Does it have anything excluding war (look under general exclusions).

Usually war is excluded.
  • Labsuper
    Labsuper Posts: 266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Why are you claiming and not your son?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts