Marriage Allowance

Comments

• Hi there again and thank you for your reply. I am the tax payer in our relationship. I hope this helps thank you again With Kind Regards Colin Duerden
  • Dotty76
    Dotty76 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 June 2018 at 9:09AM
    **UPDATE** I called HMRC who have been sort of helpful. I'll feed back what they say.

Hi all. New to this forum lark so sorry if this has already been answered. My hubbie has not been working for last year. Finally got around to claiming the tax for me. He went on the hard website but it does not recognise any of his bank details. Any ideas on how he can prove his identity so he can move on to the next stage?
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I am the tax payer in our relationship.
    And who applied for Marriage Allowance?
    Did you do it online? If so, was that logged in as you or as your wife?
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,784 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I wonder if someone can help. I have applied for Marriage Allowance and have received some tax credits for the two years 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 tax years. However I have not as yet received a refund for the tax year 2017-2018. Can anyone tell me why there is a delay.

When did your wife apply?
    Do you self assess or get your income via PAYE ?

PS ~You may find it more secure to use an invented user name rather than what I assume is your real name
  • Hi Jimmy and thank you for your reply. It was my wife who applied for the marriage allowance online on 14th May 2018. It was logged in as my wife. My income is taxed via PAYE. I have already received my new tax code and a cheque for back dated amounts for two years but nothing has been received for the tax year 2017-2018.

I hope you can help me. I have also phoned HMRC but they didnt help for some reason. I have also written to them about this problem on the 4th June 2018 but as yet no reply. Kind Regards, Paddlesteam.
  • If you are due a refund for 2017:18 it will be sorted sometime between now and the end of November.

Link on gov.uk explains.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-overpayments-and-underpayments
  • jimmo
    jimmo Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I got my 2017/18 repayment this week so they have at least started the 17/18 review.
    If you haven't already done so, its worth signing up for a personal tax account and for email alerts.
    I got the email alert on Wednesday, did the necessary and the money was in my bank account on Monday.
    The P800 arrived by snail mail the following day (Tuesday).
    If you don't sign up it will take 2 months for them to issue a cheque.
    https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account
  • Dotty76
    Dotty76 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ooh thats a useful tip . thank you
  • Beware when applying for allowance ! My wife doesn't pay tax and we moved her allowance into my tax code !
    She received a letter from tax office saying she has to pay £226.80 for tax year 2017/18 !!!!!
    I only received £45 rebate on my tax code for that year .
    Basically tax office told her , because she moved her allowance into mine it reduces her allowance into the paying income tax bracket ! It doesn't make us better off as a couple and now we have to find £226.80 to pay back to tax office as they won't reverse the claim for last year !
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Johnr1996 wrote: »
    Beware when applying for allowance ! My wife doesn't pay tax and we moved her allowance into my tax code !
    She received a letter from tax office saying she has to pay £226.80 for tax year 2017/18 !!!!!
    I only received £45 rebate on my tax code for that year .
    Basically tax office told her , because she moved her allowance into mine it reduces her allowance into the paying income tax bracket ! It doesn't make us better off as a couple and now we have to find £226.80 to pay back to tax office as they won't reverse the claim for last year !

The result of not looking before you leap, but I doubt that you (plural) have lost out - other than wasting your life-spans.

You almost certainly will have got the matching credit. The £45 figure is due to more than just receiving the MAT benefit.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback