Rift Refunds - Military Travel Claims

Hi all. The military do not pay the 45p per mile travel expenses that the Govt. sets, and this sees a lot of people using RIFT RFUNDS to claim the extra. It consists of sending them pay slips and travel details if you have been at a posting for less than a certsin amount of time.
This is money people are entitled to, yet RIFT keeps about a third of it for facilitating the claim. Is anybody aware of a way to do this yourself (Similar to the PPI schenanigans)

Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Probably one to raise with the military.

They should know what shenanigans are available.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Hi all. The military do not pay the 45p per mile travel expenses that the Govt. sets, and this sees a lot of people using RIFT RFUNDS to claim the extra. It consists of sending them pay slips and travel details if you have been at a posting for less than a certsin amount of time.
    This is money people are entitled to, yet RIFT keeps about a third of it for facilitating the claim. Is anybody aware of a way to do this yourself (Similar to the PPI schenanigans)

Thanks.

Anything can be done by yourself! It all comes down to how much or little effort you wish to put into the process.

These company's do not do it out of the goodness of their hearts they are in business to make money.

If you are talking about mileage that is paid for commuting to a temporary place of residence that is paid by the Military and the amount that HMRC allows per mile it is simple to claim.

All I used to do was claim what I was owed on my annual Tax return. For the first 10000 miles I could claim Tax on the difference on what I had been paid and what I was allowed to claim at one rate and after 10000 miles at a lower rate.

Are you posted to a temporary place of work for less then 2 years? Do you commute daily to this place of work? If you are entitled to the money then contact HMRC.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• psu
    psu Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 1 February 2019 at 12:33AM
    The HMRC guidance is at the gov.uk site under /tax-relief-for-employees
    (I can't post links)

The MOD gives you a 25p a mile Motor Mileage Allowance (MMA), but HMRC allows you to offset 45p a mile.
    So as you're 'out of pocket' 20p a mile, you can add up all your MMA miles, multiply by 20p and take that off your annual earnings. Whatever the difference that makes to your tax you can reclaim (4p a mile if you earn less than £50k this year ('basic rate').

What RIFT do, for your assignments less than 2 years long, is assume you travel home every weekend. They add up all those return journeys, multiply by 45p, take off any Get You Home (GYH) Mileage and also take that off your annual earnings. Again, whatever difference that makes to your tax you can reclaim (9p a mile if no GYH and basic rate taxpayer).

They also assume (for those assignments) that you spend £3.60 a day on food. This is why they ask when you are deployed etc (free food usually) and when you are on leave (you can't claim for food you eat on leave!). They add up all the days you would have bought food and multiply by £3.60. If you paid the daily food charge it would be on your payslip, so you can claim actuals. The above is just a RIFT assumption.
    They take that off your annual earnings too; again, whatever difference that makes to your tax you can reclaim.

HMRC told me to send in a form 'P87' which you can also find on the gov.uk site. You can claim back up to 4 tax years back. So if they receive before 5 April 2019, you can claim back to 2014-15.

You'll want your payslips to hand, as well as your end-of-year P60s, and you can also get your Move and Track history from your Unit HR / Personnel Services. JPA keeps all your expenses claims, so you can go through them for MMA claims.

Depending on how far your home is from your place of work, you could claim back over £3k. RIFT take one third... so if you took 2 days to sort it out yourself, that would be £500 a day in your pocket instead.

Good luck!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,775 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is nothing at all like PPI miss-selling

Just claim back yourself if you are entitled to it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income