Mrs S.....life after debt

Options

Comments

• MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I usually do my main food shop on a Monday and top up on a Thursday, but as we were away last week I did the main shop on Saturday so popped to do the top up this morning. It saves popping into town on Thursday after work. I always do the top up in Tesco as I find it so easier than going to Aldi (parking can be difficult, always queues to pay rather than just pop in quickly, pick up a few bits and scan your own shopping at the till!).

After going over budget on Saturday, I was left with £6.84 for the top up. Thankfully berries are pretty cheap at the moment (Tesco had the wonky type for 90p per punnet, though a lady stood next to me, picked a punnet up and then put them back quickly with a sound of disgust when she realised that they weren't perfect ones!). Raspberries were only £1.24 as well so where I can sometimes spend about £4 on berries, I spent just over £2 today. I also picked up some butter and milk, and then decided to treat myself to a bottle of pop and a packet of sweets (yup....there goes the healthy eating!). I spent £6.33 in total so have a gigantic 51p left over. I shouldn't be needing anything else this week now, so that 51p will be 'skimmed' at the weekend. I think it's the first time in a long while I've been successful with the food budget (it was usually the top ups that caught me out). Posting here more often does make me consider purchases far more, and makes me challenge myself.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Jeez!!! It was all going so well. I just 'nipped' into Tesco this evening (we had our counselling session so went straight afterwards) and spent just over £13. Mr S was with me and made a comment about how we'd do that so regularly and not take note of it. At least I'm conscious that I'm doing it now. Not perfect, but better.

Didn't manage all tasks today, but not too bad. My mum was looking after the boys when I went to the counselling, but because she'd been away on holiday she fancied a catch up and asked if she could call around earlier. A chinwag and pushing housework to one side........I'm definitely up for the :rotfl:

Food wise, things are going dreadfully at the moment. I see it, I eat it. Literally!! Even Mr S said earlier that I'd done so well and not to ruin the work I've done. I've lost over a stone already, time to lose a second stone.

Today's tasks

1. Check YNAB and the accounts, Done
    2. Wash towels, Done
    3. Clean the toaster, kettle and other kitchen bits, Urm..............
    4. Wipe down doors (it's amazing how fast they turn to look grubby!!), Done
    5. Check surveys, Done
    6. Eat healthily, Ha ha..........
    7. Aim for a minimum of 5,000 steps, Over 7,600 done
    8. Put away all clothes, No comment
    9. Water flowers, Done
    10. Contact Welsh Water again to see why I can't access my online account, Done. Almost 20 minutes on the phone and now I won't be able to access my account online for another 7 days!
    11. Make an appointment for a beauty treatment with the voucher I have, Done, it's this Saturday. Woop!
    12. Make a fish pie with enough leftover for a work lunch or 2, Done, 3 portions leftover for work/freezer
    13. Make a start on next week's meal planning, Had a good shot at this today
    14. Give the bathroom and downstairs loo a clean, Downstairs loo done
    15. Look to see what's on locally over the bank holiday weekend and decide what we're going to do (on a budget!). Not done
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Back to work today after my week off. A shorter task list because I know realistically I'll achieve less being in work all day!

Today's tasks

1. Check YNAB and accounts, Already done
    2. Check surveys, Already done. 85p this morning......woohoo!!
    3. Water flowers,
    4. Clean kitchen appliances,
    5. Put away clothes,
    6. Clean bathroom,
    7. Dust and hoover downstairs,
    8. Daily quick wipe down of the kitchen,
    9. Steps goal today (this is going to be super difficult as I hardly move at all at work and only have 30 minutes for lunch so no time to go for a walk!) - 5,000.
    10. Eat healthily,
    11. Look to see what's on locally over the bank holiday weekend,
    12. Discuss party invite I found in ds1's school bag last night to see whether he'd like to go. Respond to parent.
  • MrsSave
    Options
    I went to work via Co-op this morning to pick up some cookies as I've been on holiday (and it's been absolutely ages since I've taken in some biscuits!). I was then reminded that it is a work colleagues birthday this weekend (there's only 3 of us in the office) so stopped at the Co-op again on the way home to pick up a bottle of Prosecco for her. Of course, extras fell into the basket both times. I don't know what's wrong with me at the moment!! I'm also eating like crazy (the both must be linked) and I'm just hoping I get it out of my system soon!!!

We've been given tickets to a local circus (a relative won a family ticket). I'm not sure about it. I know things have changed with animals, etc. and it's mainly acrobats, etc now, but I do need to look into it a little more before deciding.

Tonight my plan is not to do much. I'm hot, work has been a funny one where I've made millions of tiny, little mistakes. Nothing major, but things like forgot to add something into an email, etc. I also felt loads slower than usual. Must be the weather (or related to the overspending and overeating). I feel like I need a kick up the backside :rotfl:

Today's tasks

1. Check YNAB and accounts, Already done
    2. Check surveys, Already done. 85p this morning......woohoo!!
    3. Water flowers, Done
    4. Clean kitchen appliances, Done
    5. Put away clothes, I'm not even going to entertain the idea of doing it tonight........at least they're upstairs out of the way
    6. Clean bathroom, May attempt that in the morning before work as they boys aren't here tonight
    7. Dust and hoover downstairs, May be another one for tomorrow morning
    8. Daily quick wipe down of the kitchen, Done
    9. Steps goal today (this is going to be super difficult as I hardly move at all at work and only have 30 minutes for lunch so no time to go for a walk!) - 5,000. I've only done about 2,000. I literally don't move once I'm at work. I should go out for a walk tonight. I won't though!!!
    10. Eat healthily, It's been a 50% effort
    11. Look to see what's on locally over the bank holiday weekend, May still do that tonight
    12. Discuss party invite I found in ds1's school bag last night to see whether he'd like to go. Respond to parent. Discussed and responded. That's another gift to buy!!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Work today. Our boss is taking us out for lunch so no need to take anything in :j A free work lunch is always nice! I've had a look at ynab this morning and moved some money around to cover yesterday's spending :o and also moved some from Christmas to birthdays as there is a lot to pay out during the next couple of months. Ds1 is going to a party, it will be Father's Day (my dad and Mr S to buy for), my mum's birthday and I need to buy a gift for my step mum (was her birthday last month, but haven't seen her since). It does quieten down a little from August onwards.

Today's list

1. Check ynab and accounts, Done
    2. Daily survey check,
    3. Water flowers,
    4. Daily kitchen wipe down,
    5. Ironing,
    6. NSD,
    7. Give bathroom a clean,
    8. Hoover and dust downstairs,
    9. Have a look at what's on over the weekend (preferably cheap or free).
    10. Make a decision about the circus.

I can't think of anything else I need to do today (plenty I should do.......) so will stick to a shorter list. More chance of achieving it with work as well!!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Oh, and a quick check of my ebay items show that 4 out of the 5 have bids. Currently just under £10 for the lot. Would love to get it up to around £15 by the time they end, which will go towards the mortgage overpayment.......almost at my £20 target then.
  • MrsSave
    edited 24 May 2018 at 9:39PM
    Options
    I'm totally shattered tonight, but had a chat with Mr S and he thinks (I agree!) that surely me over eating, eating a load of processed food and drinking more than usual must be affecting my sleep! I do this from time to time, no idea why. I've decided to just ride it out until after the bank holiday weekend and then concentrate on getting proper food in me and cutting out the drinking during the week again.

I found a letter from HMRC when I got home from work about tax credits. It was about renewing and re applying so I signed into my account and completed that straight away. Fingers crossed it comes back similar (or better :rotfl: ) than how it is now. Otherwise I need to majorly re look at our budget.

I had £19.99 leftover over in my petrol category (should have been £20 but I didn't stop in time :rotfl: ). The tank is around 2/3 full which should easily last until June. I've moved £9.99 of it to the 'account skim' category ready for the weekly penny a day save (if that makes any sense :rotfl: ) and £10 into a new category of 'left over petrol'. I thought it would be handy to build a little buffer in case there are weeks where I need more than I've budgeted.

I've currently got £19.19 in the 'skim' account, which isn't bad for a week. It means I should be able to tick off a few of the higher amounts from the penny a day savings sheet. That would mean that I've managed to save just over £35 during the past 2 weeks. I'm super happy with that though know it won't be the same every week!

I've got 1 transaction that should be on my tesco credit card account but isn't showing. I don't have the receipt so it's making me wonder whether I actually paid cash and can't remember doing it :rotfl: It was for the first day of our holiday. I will leave it as it is for another week or so, and if it still is t showing I'll assume that it was cash and I just totally forgot! It's around £15 so will put that towards the mortgage overpayment.

Today's list

1. Check ynab and accounts, Done
    2. Daily survey check, Done, no surveys today!
    3. Water flowers, woohoo for rain!
    4. Daily kitchen wipe down, Done
    5. Ironing, Half done
    6. NSD, Yay!!
    7. Give bathroom a clean, I really need to do this!
    8. Hoover and dust downstairs, Not done
    9. Have a look at what's on over the weekend (preferably cheap or free). discussed with Mr S
    10. Make a decision about the circus. I think we're going
  • MrsSave
    Options
    I am so pleased that it's Friday! Though it's a shorter, busier weekend than usual. I'm normally off until the following Wednesday, and get quite a few tasks done on Monday/Tuesday, but it's the bank holiday weekend, followed by half term. I'm also working different days next week to cover holidays so am back in on Tuesday. I much prefer my usual routine!

I've got to decide when to do the grocery shopping. The positive here is that Mr S can watch the boys and I can go all by myself.

A short task list today, being at work all day and totally shattered!

Today's tasks

1. Check ynab and the accounts,
    2. NSD,
    3. Clothes away!!!
    4. Give bathroom a quick clean,
    5. Hoover living room,
    6. A few more bits to iron,
    7. Water flowers,
    8. Daily kitchen wipe down.
  • MrsSave
    Options
    :j it's Friday night and I have already enjoyed a g&t. Every Friday night is 'date night' here so that we can try something which means actually spending time together without children around! We alternate who's turn it is, and tonight it's Mr S's turn to arrange. Instead of cooking he has opted for the easy option of ordering a takeaway, so he has just popped out to pick it up. I love the fact that I'm having a curry and not having to find the money from my budget!

I have a few things in my head I want to do over the weekend, so will create my weekend to do list either later or tomorrow morning.

Today's tasks

1. Check ynab and the accounts, Done
    2. NSD, Done - 2 in a row!
    3. Clothes away!!! Finally done
    4. Give bathroom a quick clean,
    5. Hoover living room,
    6. A few more bits to iron, I've moved them from the airer to the ironing basket. That's a start, right??
    7. Water flowers, Done
    8. Daily kitchen wipe down. Done

I've also given the kitchen table another clear (everything gets dumped there!!)
  • MrsSave
    Options
    A quick eBay check this morning and I have bids on 4 items which currently total over £32! They end tomorrow night so may have a few more £s by then. I'll have to take fees off, but will more than meet my mortgage overpayment target for May :j I just hope that everyone pays up!

This weekend's tasks

1. Check ynab and accounts,
    2. Pay Tesco cc in full (I use this card for all my spends and pay it in full every month),
    3. Update card details for hp ink account,
    4. Finish meal plan and shopping list,
    5. Grocery shop for under £50,
    6. Enjoy massage using voucher,
    7. Change SIM card in mobile,
    8. Check surveys,
    9. Water flowers,
    10. Find birthday gift for ds1's friend (budget £5),
    11. Keep kitchen clean and tidy,
    12. Dust and Hoover (especially downstairs),
    13. Laundry,
    14. Ironing,
    15. Give bathroom and downstairs loo a clean,
    16. Bank account skim to savings (kind of using a penny a day method),

I may add more to this as the weekend goes on.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business