Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Comments

• N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Warnesy4 wrote: »
    Is this information accurate?

I'm due to fly out on Sunday with Ryanair and fly back on the 15th with monarch. Are you sure this is the right info as I'm not sure if I should fly out.?

Cheers

From the main article on MSE:
    "If you're already abroad and are due to fly home before 16 October, the CAA will ensure you get a return flight home.

But even if you're yet to fly abroad, if you're booked to fly out on another airline and then fly back on Monarch on or before 15 October, the CAA has confirmed it WILL still arrange a free alternative return flight for you.

If you were due to return on a Monarch flight on or after 16 October, however, you won't be put on a replacement flight by the CAA. See the Flight-only help above for ways to try and reclaim some money."

Although this does not specify if this applies to flight only bookings and if you need to have ATOL cover to get back.
  • Jones578 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response.
    Yes Expedia is listed as the ATOL provider on my ATOL cert.
    Does Expedia's advice contradict with what it was stated on the cert by not offering an alternative flight as an option at all?
    I am trying to call them again but the wait is long (I was put on hold for over an hour in my last call) and I don't think they are going to say anything different to me...

This is my belief, based upon last year's low cost experience. Expedia is you ATOL holder and it is them that should sort this out for you. I doubt if you will get anything from the CAA other than reference to the regs/cover principles of the ATOL cover. They will probably be snowed under again trying to repatriate people.

Having written that, Expedia is also probably very busy and may not have the resources to do the correct thing or to arrange alternatives.

My ATOL cover (also with an agent, similar to Expedia) was virtually identical. Although it was accommodation that was in question rather than repatriation, nothing was done for me at the time and I had to claim post event for reimbursement of costs.

Sad to say but I suspect your case might be similar, Expedia could be no help in the time frame and I suspect that, if they stick to the advice they gave you, are just trying to dodge the issue.
  • Does anyone know if I can get a refund for 2 flights booked for next year using a Monarch voucher issued because I had to cancel 2 flights last year at short notice and Monarch issued the voucher for the price of the original flights less an admin charge
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does Expedia's advice contradict with what it was stated on the cert by not offering an alternative flight as an option at all?
    I am trying to call them again but the wait is long (I was put on hold for over an hour in my last call) and I don't think they are going to say anything different to me...

The statement on the ATOL certificate seems pretty conclusive, and matches advice on the ATOL website. They owe you an alternative flight or a full refund. They've signed up to ATOL, they can't now dodge their responsibilities.

The trouble is, Expedia is a huge organisation, with customer services based oversees who are probably not at all familiar with ATOL or its implications.

Try calling again, tomorrow, and see if you can get put through to someone in the UK and explain it to them. After that you could try the email address they've given on the ATOL certificate. That way you can start getting written responses as evidence if you need to escalate.

I'd usually suggest getting in touch with ATOL for advice, but they are probably snowed under with the Monarch mess.
  • bagand96
    edited 2 October 2017 at 10:55PM
    PA1949 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I can get a refund for 2 flights booked for next year using a Monarch voucher issued because I had to cancel 2 flights last year at short notice and Monarch issued the voucher for the price of the original flights less an admin charge

Hmmm difficult one. Your original flight would have been non-refundable. You could try a Credit Card Section 75 claim, but not sure how it'd play out because the product you bought was a flight which presumably operated, and your ticket was non-refundable/changeable. The voucher arrangement was a goodwill gesture between you and Monarch. Perhaps worth a shot. They can only say no

You could perhaps register with the administrators as a creditor but not sure it'd be worth it.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    PA1949 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I can get a refund for 2 flights booked for next year using a Monarch voucher issued because I had to cancel 2 flights last year at short notice and Monarch issued the voucher for the price of the original flights less an admin charge

When non-flight companies have become insolvent their vouchers have become worthless, I can't see it being any different here.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • carolec
    carolec Posts: 50 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I have return flights booked with Monarch for myself and my husband for travel in December. When I booked in January it was cheaper to purchase them separately for some reason rather than on the same booking. Both return fares were over £100 and were paid for using my credit card.

I know I will be able to claim under Section 75 for my fare but does anyone know if I can claim for my husbands booking also? I have been reading various websites for hours and I still can't find the answer.

Also, I have rebooked the flights with an alternative airline but at a considerably higher price. Can I make a claim for the difference?

Thanks in advance.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I'm amazed Ryanair haven't utilised this as an opportunity to clear their own downed flights - there's literally an entire workforce and equipment who could continue to clear them well in to the new year!

I hope the Monarch staff are able to secure something with Christmas a matter of weeks away.

EasyJet are in there first.

https://careers.easyjet.com/easyjet-reaches-out-to-cabin-crew-pilots-and-head-office-staff-of-monarch-in-its-continued-recruitment-drive/
  • bagand96
    edited 3 October 2017 at 12:09AM

Virgin have a dedicated page with a recruitment process for Monarch pilots. Are Lingus are also holding an event in the next few days and have specifically tweeted for Monarch crew. A number of cabin crew opportunities out there too

Monarch were well respected in the industry and recognised as a quality operator. Any airline that needs experienced crew will be delighted to be speaking to Monarch crews.

Might be harder for head office and operational staff though, but good to see easyjet reaching out to them too. Handy location too...
  • gazza007
    gazza007 Posts: 248 Forumite
    I was due to fly out MAN-ACE Tuesday morning returning this Saturday.
    I was keeping an eye on things & managed to source alternative flights only caveats were flying out later but returning Sunday as was no availability with other suppliers on the Saturday. I have already called AMEX in respect of S75 who were brilliant no forms just a ref number. The additional flight costs are £140 & extra night in hotel £160.
    1. Would Amex accept this additional Cost?
    2. If I had just travelled out on my new flight booking would CAA honoured the return leg of my original Monarch booking with the rescue flights? Appreciate that it may be risky as some flights have been grouped & routed to alternate airports with onward bus travel provided.

I have also put in for a S75 for another return flight next May on my Post Office MasterCard, they have insisted that I write to their Dublin Office. I have re-booked this too but have chosen to use my AMEX card as their 2.99% foreign exchange fee is justified given the excellent customer service.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure