Preparing for the biggest move of our life

Comments

• bellevie
    bellevie Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you Rosa, I will when its not quite so raw. My first reaction in my head was that I would never return on a Friday again as that's his regular day, but actually that might help me but it wont help anyone else.

I've got some really good friends who have been in regular contact, work have been amazing. I think I'm just looking for answers that I know no-one will ever be able to give me.

Slowly I'm starting to feel calmer just by letting it out when I need to, I seem to be a little stronger every day so I think I'm heading in the right direction.
    MFW
    Starting debt :£287,410 -11/2020

2022 Closing balance £271,402.45 

2023 closing balance £263140

Original end 11/2045 
    New end date :....... 

Overpayments to date £514.4 (1/24)

• bellevie
    Debt wise, I paid £119 off Debt 1 yesterday bringing it down to £300. I don't want to use savings to clear this as the bulk of it is interest free. I usually pay around £60 per month on this, but DP owed some money for something I got hence the larger payment, should be cleared by September - the end is in sight!!

Debt 2, I have had set at £65 pm for quite a bit, however as of this month Il be upping that to £100, then when debt 1 is finished I can then top up that payment and it should be finished by Feb/March.

I've upped the payments by deciding to decrease payments to savings, only a little decrease. Savings 3 is everyday savings - holiday spends, Christmas birthdays. We have paid for a cheap seaside holiday already, so Im only likely to withdraw spending money in July, and again end of August when we visit DP's family then I need to save for Christmas birthdays.

Savings 1 &2 are H2B isa and LISA. At the minute H2B Isa is only there because of the interest rate and the fact that I can If I need to withdraw it without loosing money for example rental deposit if we were forced to move. Il keep putting money into that until I reach a level I'm comfortable with, at the minute I'm thinking 2k. I did have considerably more in, until I had car works done. I blew my lid a little and ended up changing my car. I had been thinking of changing in the next year or 2 anyway, but we decided it was a tight squeeze with all of us plus the dog for our weekends away and my old car was pants on petrol when we travel to see DP's family and was starting to cost me money fairly regularly. New car is diesel which so far has made quite a difference to my top ups and its tax free so Im saving £17 per month! I put my old car down as the bulk payment, and we used some savings to cover the rest so we have had to restart over the past few months.

When I reach the 2k, or debt is clear which ever comes first I will then put more into LISA, I just didn't want to put it all in then loose some of what I put in with the withdrawal penalty if something changes unexpectedly.

We are planning to stay put, but waiting to find out rent increase first, should know in the next few weeks.
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• bellevie
    I went back to work on Monday, I wasn't overloaded with appointments so it gave me a chance to catch up with things, which I was quite glad for.
    I almost got to applying for another job, closer to home £3k more per year. Then when I worked out, my current Wednesday mornings off, plus at the minute I don't have to use breakfast club unless there is a meeting, and I get free parking there suddenly wasn't much reason to move.
    The role isn't too different from what I am doing, so its something that I might reconsider when DD is walking to school herself etc.

Topped up LISA by a little more than planned, seeing the HMRC top up is quite an incentive!
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Glad you have good friends and supportive work around you

Nice to have future work options for the long term too.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • bellevie
    edited 4 July 2018 at 6:59PM
    Savings increasing slowly, debt decreasing. I have enough saved between accounts to clear my smaller debts but until I have an emergency fund those savings are my emergency funds should my tenancy end, or car need urgent works etc. My small debt is predominantly interest free until October, I hope to have it clear by then which will then allow me to target my larger one. Car is a low rate loan so Im comfortable to allow that to go on, if I can end it a few months earlier than planned, brilliant. I will likely start a small fund once my other debts are clear, targeting myself to one months payment at a time, not too much pressure.

House move wise, we have decided to start with a shared ownership resale house. They don't come up often in my area, but the ones that do often have ridiculously cheap rent on the share that isn't brought - compared to the newbuilds. We worked out, if we can get something that doesn't increase our outgoings too much (by which time our debts will be clear) we should still be able to save a reasonable amount. So if we sell 5-10 years later we could end up we a really good deposit saved up by us and what we will have been paying on our mortgage!
    Its a sacrifice we have decided to make, we are not able to save enough a month to match increasing house prices, our ages are against us in terms of mortgage length. This step will enable us to stay where our jobs are, where dd's school is and we at least will be saving something a month.
    The idea of moving away from the area any time soon isn't what either of us want right now. Things are bound to change in 2 years, so I'll keep reviewing and reconsidering, but hopefully our bit of security is not too far away!!
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Hello bellevie,

Wow to how much has changed for you since I was last on here catching up. Most of your news has been lovely to catch up on. I'm so sorry for your loss. People say You find out who your friends are and your group of friends sound like they've really come through for you.

Your home idea sounds like a good plan.

MT
  • bellevie
    Thank you MT, I do have some lovely people around me.
    I'll catch up on your diary tonight, DP is about to abandon me for the xbox!
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• bellevie
    edited 7 July 2018 at 9:50PM
    So I asked my boss for the possibility of filling my 1 morning off per week with some permanent hours, she was very optimistic and said she would approve in a heart beat but it had to go to a higher level. So I prepared my case and sent it off. I got a very polite response to say not right now as our dept is under review so they cant review 1 persons situation.
    The thing is, I have been through 2 reviews in the 4 years I've been there, there is just about to be a 3rd. In the first I gained a job so started during the review really. The second, our department was being relocated to our northern office which started this post when I ummed about whether or not to make such a big change. I was fortunate to secure a local job, then a few months later another two higher paid roles which merged to give me an almost full working week.
    I don't want to be fearing redundancy every 2 years. The review might be positive and perhaps one of my part time jobs will turn full time, but it also might be a negative leaving me with only one part time job which I just could not afford even with DP's help.

So an application I had been dithering about, I suddenly got the kick to go through with! Its closely linked to what I do now, but for a local authority instead. I didn't have high hopes for an interview but to my shock I got one!!

Im torn on whether or not I'll actually leave my current employer. I have good colleagues, good management team, flexible working starts from home etc, it really makes working full time easier being able to be there for DD when I need to. The salary offered starts from what I am on up to 4k higher. My initial thinking is I would like an increase on my current salary, and a similar level of flexibility.

I would loose the extra days AL I have built up, but the job is closer and I could in dry weather walk to work.

On days I drive in Id have to pay for parking, which I don't currently.

I start to think Im better off where I am, to suddenly panicking that I might not be better off after the review!

I'm conscious I could be up against some tough competition so I will give it my best and hope any potential offer makes my decision easy!

If its a no go, Il be on tender hooks until I know whats happening at work so I may have to keep my eyes open for other roles.

Fingers crossed whatever happens is for the best!
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• bellevie
    Interview went well, it didn't really give me the urge to leave my current workplace though. Far from it. It's a role that should be flexible but as it stands they have a lot of recruitment to go through before they reach that stage. I'd face an increase in childcare costs until I reach that stage of flexibility and the flexibility will not be routine so same work from home day each week.
    The stress levels going by one of the interviewers in particular are on par with my current job. I wasn't sure she really was portraying the department under a positive light if I'm honest.
    My gut reaction is to stay put and hope for the best during the upcoming reviews.
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• bellevie
    So I received a pleasant surprise, when after my request for extra hours and 'not right now's it's been suggested I could actually have some for 6-9 months during my managers maternity leave as there's a budget allocated but they've mostly divided up duties with existing managers. I had to put another case forward, well not as detailed as before I gave my interim manager a couple of ideas about what I could do and she will prepare a case. It's still got to be approved so not 100% but an unexpected surprise. My other manager thinks we should have a good idea of the restructure within 3-6 months so at that stage I will have a good idea on whether or not I'm likely to be safe.
    After that bit of news it really hit me, I don't want the other job I had applied for, so I politely retracted my application.
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income