early 40s and not fabulous at all

Options

Comments

• happymo
    Options
    Following your thread with interest. Just a suggestion about food shopping. If your nearest Al dee is not that far away, with the money you save a taxi fare would still leave you in pocket. And I find shopping there is quicker because there is not so much choice, although I get most of what I want, so it doesn't take so long. I top up at Waitrose weekly but only spend about £10 extra there. For two of us our monthly bill is about £150 and we eat very well!

Good luck...I'm sure you will get there!
  • Plush
    Plush Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks @happymo £150 sounds good - are cleaning products and basic toiletries included in that?

Not much to update, weekend was quiet with very low spending. We have family visiting from overseas this coming weekend, so that means double grocery shopping bill... apart from groceries there isn't any planned spend until next pay date. I do need to service the boiler and might do it this month if my Halifax bank account stays in green in 2 weeks from now. We also have passport renewal fees that need to be paid as soon as the application is processed, so it's either that or the boiler this month.

I've been good about not using the Barclaycard, in fact the only spend was Oyster auto top-up, which I paid immediately from the bank account. It's so hard psychologically to destroy that card, I keep thinking what if I need it for emergencies... I have now changed the Oyster auto top up to my Halifax bank card and I believe I removed it from all online shopping accounts. I have been leaving it at home but not every day. Even that seems hard, I just can't get myself to do it. I guess the light bulb is still flickering.

Weight-wise I lost about 1-2 kg, not sure how, as I haven't done much to get there. I haven't been out in a while so I guess not drinking alcohol at all helps the body process food faster? In any case, I'd love to lose another 4-5kg if I can.

Dating-wise - nothing. Talked to some guys on OKC but haven't really gotten anywhere, not even to the point of exchanging phone numbers. Another Christmas on our own I guess, can#t afford to fly overseas to be with family (although my parents might come over, not decided yet). I'd love to find someone with kids, to have a bigger family - I grew up in a big family and it was wonderful (still is).

That's all for now.
    current credit debt Jan-2018 £12000 @ 0% // initial debt Sep-2017 £14200
  • happymo
    happymo Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Yes that includes everything. Admit we are not in debt and our mortgage is paid off, but we prefer to spend on other things than food! We do eat well, eat out probable once a fortnight. I cook mainly from scratch. Best wishes.
  • Little_Miss_Winner
    Options
    Good luck with your diary - I have subscribed :)

Im also a big fan of Aldi - you can easily cut your grocery bill in half.

You say you are lucky enough to have lots of friends and family - are they all nearby? Do any friends / work colleagues shop at Aldi could you catch a lift back if anyones going? You really would save a fortune.

Some of my fave best Aldi buys (not including food) are the Washing Gel 21 washes (laundry) which is £1.75. Creme Bubble Bath 49p, Deodarant 79p. Washing up liquid 59p

I also used to be a bit of a supermarket name snob, Persil, Dove, Radox, Fairy etc etc..... till I realised how much we are all being totally ripped off.

Send lots of positive vibes to you ;) xx
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Another member of the "£150 a month for food, cleaning & basic toiletries club" here - we buy very little supermarket meat preferring to shop from farmers markets or direct from the supplier, but a LOT of seasonal fruit & veg from the cheap shops! :rotfl: Love the "super 6" and "Pick of the Week" type offers and frequently build my meal plan around whatever is the cheapest on the veg front.

Almost the only branded stuff we now buy routinely is Fairy (only on offer but by FAR the best in our water) WU liquid, Nescafe coffee (the ordinary stuff, not the gold stuff) as MrEH pulls faces if I give him anything else, and washing powder or liquid as I love the smell of Bold or Surf and never find the own brand stuff as nice. If we were skint that last would go in favour of a discount brand though. Oh Branston beans through choice - but again, on offer only. On other things I'm happy to buy branded if it hits my target for price, but if it doesn't then own brand it will be.

Plush - less alcohol might explain your weight loss all told if you've been out less than usual - there's a surprising amount of calories in that stuff!

Oh - and stick that card in the back of a drawer and leave it there - go on, I dare you to get to the end of the week, to start with, without touching it. ()And then I'll dare you to go to the end of the month!) :p
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Tea&Kittens
    Options
    Hi Plush
    I've been trying to do the £150 shopping thing too. For, me I think I can make it work if I properly plan meals. It does take a bit of work though!
    Weight loss as a side effect of managing finances sounds like an unexpected bonus! I'd love it for that to happen here too :)

Well done on the Barclay card, sorting out all your online things and your oyster. Easy to forget about those little things isn't it, until they turn up as a transaction!
    #Frugal February : NSDs Target =16
    Started here on 07 September 2017: Total:[STRIKE] £20,521[/STRIKE] £19847
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]350[/STRIKE] £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
  • Plush
    Options
    Thanks all for the tips on Aldi. It never occurred to me that I could take an Uber, it would probably be about £8. Need to investigate that one. I'm not working in half term so should be able to do it then together with DD.

Now £150 sounds impossible for me. I'm struggling to keep it under £250 at the moment (and I'm not managing to do it, too many top ups). And DD has school lunches, not packed.

Right. I need to plan the weekend around my family who's visiting. I already know what I'll be cooking. They aren't really interested in seeing much of London, as they've lived here before. Looks like the weather will be nice so that means long walks in our local park and perhaps alongside Thames river.

Looking at my accounts, they are both still in green. One more bill to come out of Barclays and it will have a bit of extra left. Halifax looks healthy and also getting child benefit is coming on Monday, but it will be a miracle if I don't dip into the overdraft - with the upcoming weekend, then passport fees and/or the annual boiler service. I could possibly push the boiler service until next month by giving them a cheque dated 25th. We shall see. My debt is still at £13587 (sainsbury+barclaycard1). I was hoping to make an extra payment just before next pay day, if any ££ left in Halifax, but that is too ambitious.. let's hope I don't touch the overdraft (and Barclaycard #2! of course).

Now the negative part. I've neglected entering some spending in the Spending Tracker app so now I have to do it all manually. My plan was to enter all spending for 1 month, evaluate, budget next month, then look at it again after a full month and so on. I keep forgetting to enter stuff and I've no excuse, the phone is on me all the time.
  • Plush
    Options
    PS. No family here, they all live overseas, mostly in Europe. Well, apart from the Ex, he's still family in some sense. :D We have friends here, they all live in London but not close by, so we meet at eachother's houses or just go out together with kids.. Having said there is one family locally that I sometimes exchange childcare favours with. No shopping together I'm afraid, can't rely on others for this.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OK - step-by-step for saving money on groceries.
    1) Grab as many receipts from shopping as you can find - and analyse them to work out what are your "expensive" items as a starting point. That's as good a place as any to look at making savings to start with.
    2) Put a mark against everything you bought a brand label for - and then look to "drop a level" on them next time you shop. NEVER flag this up to other members of the household - just serve it as normal, no bells or whistles. Mostly likely it'll vanish with no comment.
    3) Choose a couple of regularly bought items to drop to "value" products on and see how they are each week. Some will be great, some will be OK, some will be so disgusting you'll laugh over that experiment for years to come.
    4) Go through your cupboards, fridge, freezer. Make 2 lists - the first is for anything you have that could probably do with being used as a priority - eggs nearing the end of their date, veg going a bit bendy, that sort of thing. The second list is for everything else - you can ignore basic condiments but anything that classifies as a "building block" to make a meal from.
    5) Taking list 1 - write a week's meal plan - remember to think about breakfasts (that might use those eggs) lunches (Cheese & coleslaw sarnie with the bendy veg?) and dinners. Your aim is to use EVERYTHING on list 1.
    6) Looking at the meal plan in conjuctions with both lists, work out what you need to buy to make those meals. You've got the eggs, but do you need a load for toast and lunchtime sandwiches? Cheese to go with the coleslaw? You get the idea. ONLY the stuff you're short of goes on the list at this point though.
    7) use your receipts, and list 1 to note any routine purchases like milk, fruit etc that are needed, and add those to the shopping list. Factor in everything you need for the week - so you won't be tempted to go back again. (An exception to this might be milk, which is heavy, but I have a plan for dealing with this...)
    8) Go shopping, and purchase ONLY the items on that list.
    9) Take it all home and eat for a week knowing that you have all you need, and that nothing will be wasted.

If you can't manage to carry all the milk in one go then when you go back to buy more, take cash. The right amount of cash. And ONLY the right amount of cash. I appreciate carrying stuff can be tough with no car but inside London itself buses are amazingly good, and you could dig out an old rucksack/backpack to carry the heavier items in? (I do this if I walk/cycle to the supermarket).

Would it be cheaper for DD to have packed lunches instead of school dinners? It may be that it won't if this means she just eats more of a snack in the evening, but it's worth costing up.

Bearing in mind that you've acknowledged that you know you tend to waste food, that's such a good place to start to reduce your outgoings!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Scott_Weiland_2
    Options
    Plush wrote: »
    Thanks @happymo £150 sounds good - are cleaning products and basic toiletries included in that?

Not much to update, weekend was quiet with very low spending. We have family visiting from overseas this coming weekend, so that means double grocery shopping bill... apart from groceries there isn't any planned spend until next pay date. I do need to service the boiler and might do it this month if my Halifax bank account stays in green in 2 weeks from now. We also have passport renewal fees that need to be paid as soon as the application is processed, so it's either that or the boiler this month.

I've been good about not using the Barclaycard, in fact the only spend was Oyster auto top-up, which I paid immediately from the bank account. It's so hard psychologically to destroy that card, I keep thinking what if I need it for emergencies... I have now changed the Oyster auto top up to my Halifax bank card and I believe I removed it from all online shopping accounts. I have been leaving it at home but not every day. Even that seems hard, I just can't get myself to do it. I guess the light bulb is still flickering.

Weight-wise I lost about 1-2 kg, not sure how, as I haven't done much to get there. I haven't been out in a while so I guess not drinking alcohol at all helps the body process food faster? In any case, I'd love to lose another 4-5kg if I can.

Dating-wise - nothing. Talked to some guys on OKC but haven't really gotten anywhere, not even to the point of exchanging phone numbers. Another Christmas on our own I guess, can#t afford to fly overseas to be with family (although my parents might come over, not decided yet). I'd love to find someone with kids, to have a bigger family - I grew up in a big family and it was wonderful (still is).

That's all for now.

Online dating is hard but do not give up, there will be a good guy out there somewhere. I have had my own horror stories re dating sites but not every guy is the same.
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure