Atrixa's Saving Diaries

atrixa
atrixa Posts: 549 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
edited 25 January 2022 at 6:20PM in How much have you saved?
Hello everyone! I'm 26 years old and currently renting a 1 bed flat in the North East of England. Due to not having a great income, I always thought I'd be renting forever but luckily, the North East has some of the most affordable (If you can call anything over £50k "affordable") properties in the country that aren't complete hovels. I've decided that I'll attempt to be buying my own home by the age of 30.

After doing a bit of long term financial planning, I'll need to be rent and mortgage free by retirement to be able to retire at all with my company's not-so-great pension, and who knows where SPA will be by then? Better to start now and not fritter my money away.

My current outgoings currently include:
A credit card with a balance of £57 and some change. It was a few hundred quid, but I've been working at it for the past few months and I'll have this paid off on payday. I'll try not to touch it ever again.
A Hitachi Finance loan. It's interest free at just over £2000. I've made 8 out of 15 payments of £129.
A Barclays Partner Finance loan. Also interest free. It's £16.60 per month for 30 months and I started paying in March, I think.
Student loans. These only ever get paid when my overtime tips me over the repayment threshold and it's not much.

I'm not too concerned about the debt at the moment. I can make the minimums easily and none of them are accruing interest. I'd much rather put money in savings where it can earn me interest instead.

So, my goals:

1) Save £500 for a starter emergency fund.
2) Save into a Help to Buy ISA once Hitachi Finance paid off. I need approx £5,650 saved to get 25% bonus for £70,000 house. (around a 10% deposit)
3) Save into a high interest savings account for other mortgage/home costs (fees, decorating, removal etc.) I reckon around £3,500 should do it. I had a look at the article on here and that should account for all the basic costs.

I've worked out that based on my current income, which will hopefully increase soon, it'll take 3-4 years to get the money together. Looking at the figures people in other parts of the country are quoting, I'm thinking myself lucky. :eek: Hopefully somewhere in there I'll be able to knock my pension contributions up to at least 10% (currently at 6%) and I'll be on my way to a secure future.

Wish me luck! :j

Comments

• Good luck ! I look forward to seeing how your savings grow.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Why is your company's pension not so great?
  • atrixa
    Likely because they administer for the industry and appreciate how much decent ones cost. :( Hopefully the government will raise the minimum employer contributions eventually but I won't hold my breath.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Simply pay more in yourself, at 25 now is the time to do it! With comounding on your side you should max what you can - you won't regret it.
  • atrixa
    Erm, thanks for the advice? I work in Pensions. There's only so high I can raise the contributions before it impacts too much on my budget.

Anyway, credit card is now paid off. I've managed to put £88.80 in my savings account. Been empty for about 2 years. Hopefully I'll fill the emergency fund in about 4 more months.
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 September 2017 at 9:35PM
    Hello Atrixa, please don't worry, Mr Worried Jim is one of the most intelligent people on MSE. He's a total legend. He knows his stuff. I ask him for help on many an occasion and he has always come up with the goods.

Well done on starting a pension anyway. That is great news. Well done on paying off credit card and on posting. I meant to post earlier this week but it has been a bit manic here.

Keep posting and we will be happy to cheer you on. Hooray to a lovely new diary. :beer::money::beer::j:D:T:)
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • nyc_451
    nyc_451 Posts: 502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Will be interesting to follow your journey, good luck :)

Just curious, how come Help To Buy Isa and not LISA?
  • CheBee
    CheBee Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Good luck, please do keep us updated :)
    Single, FTB -- Property purchased Aug 2019 -- 'Save £12k in 20xx' -- Total Saved: xxk
  • atrixa
    Thanks all!
    blue_mango wrote: »
    Will be interesting to follow your journey, good luck :)

Just curious, how come Help To Buy Isa and not LISA?
    I was under the impression (can't remember where from now) that a Help to Buy would be the better option. I've looked into it again in the past week and now I'm not sure. This site states that there is only one LISA account (Skipton), that has an interest rate of 0.5%. Help to Buys are offered by many places, like Darlington Building Society, which has a pretty good interest rate, although that could change.

However, if I were to go with the LISA, I would be able to use the account and therefore the cash bonus for both deposits, unlike with the Help to Buy.

I wonder if it's likely that many banks will jump on the LISA bandwagon any time soon?
  • nyc_451
    nyc_451 Posts: 502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    atrixa wrote: »
    Thanks all!

I was under the impression (can't remember where from now) that a Help to Buy would be the better option. I've looked into it again in the past week and now I'm not sure. This site states that there is only one LISA account (Skipton), that has an interest rate of 0.5%. Help to Buys are offered by many places, like Darlington Building Society, which has a pretty good interest rate, although that could change.

However, if I were to go with the LISA, I would be able to use the account and therefore the cash bonus for both deposits, unlike with the Help to Buy.

I wonder if it's likely that many banks will jump on the LISA bandwagon any time soon?

Maybe it depends on circumstances... My savings in help to buy isa aren't that big and I'm intending to use them after a year anyway, so not losing out much on low interest rate. I was under impression that I could increase my bonus by transferring the money before April 2018.

''The impact on your LISA allowance of transferring a Help to Buy ISA in depends on when you contributed. All money contributed to a Help to Buy ISA before LISAs launched (ie, before 6 April 2017) can be transferred in without affecting your LISA allowance – and you can get both the max £1,000 LISA bonus, plus the bonus on that Help to Buy ISA cash on top. Any money you contribute to the Help to Buy ISA after LISAs launch however will eat up!your LISA allowance. "

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/07/25/24984/amp/

But I'm not expert, I may be wrong :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure