PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Housing market move given Brexit and interest rise

Skag
Skag Posts: 480 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 7 October 2017 at 2:26PM in House buying, renting & selling
I was wondering what you think will be the housing market move in the next 6-12 months given the uncertainty with Brexit and the coming interest rates rise(s).
I would assume that since cost of borrowing will rise, and also BTL is becoming less affordable and efficient, will the (high geared) BTL owners start selling and prices will start to fall?
Consequently will it be a good market for those who are looking to buy but couldn't afford so far? Though this will cost a bit more given the interest rates hike.

Do you agree with the above?
I live in London and have observed the last weeks that new properties are coming in the market for lower prices that used to say half a year or one year ago.

Comments

• theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Brexsh*t is going to sadly seriously damage the financial prospects of so many areas, including housing.

We've already had the 1st direct trade deal: HUGE extra tariffs of British exports to USofA of Bombadier series C.

I weep for my country.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Who really knows? A rate rise has been expected for a while now, and not yet materialised, although I agree it is becoming to seem more likely. Even if rates do rise I think it will be by a small amount, perhaps only by 0.25% or 0.5% over the next 18 months.

Brexit is a totally unknown quantity, and it's really difficult to predict what impact it's going to have.

The housing market rarely responds to logic and reason, too much human emotion involved.

You may be better posting on "The Debate House Prices & the Economy Board" where similar threads are already running:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149
  • jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You will get a better debate in the debate forum:
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
  • tberry6686
    tberry6686 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Brexsh*t is going to sadly seriously damage the financial prospects of so many areas, including housing.

We've already had the 1st direct trade deal: HUGE extra tariffs of British exports to USofA of Bombadier series C.

I weep for my country.

Bombadier had nothing to do with brexit. Give up the remoaning. Brexit will happen and no one knows what the outcome will be at this point.
  • juniordoc
    juniordoc Posts: 366 Forumite
    Inflation, stagnant wages and rate rises will limit people's ability to buy. However this government is not building nearly enough houses to cope with our growing/ageing population so house prices will be propped up by that as long as some people can afford to buy.
    Sadly I think the divide will just get bigger and bigger between those who can afford to buy (with the help of their parents) and those who cannot.
  • jimbo747
    jimbo747 Posts: 630 Forumite
    We can keep building houses until there isn't a single bit of green belt left, and at some point in the future it still won't be enough. There are plenty of houses in the UK per sq mile, probably too many.

Problem is population size. Need to reduce population by about 10-20m, ideally by encouraging those in poverty not to have children, and preventing immigration where they're likely to take more out of the system than pay in. Brexit will help solve one of those probelms. Wages will go up, house prices go down, more disposable income therefore less reliance on credit, so less depression, less chance of a crash affecting us and everyone apart from wealthy business owners like me or those investing in property will be happier.
  • LdnFtB
    LdnFtB Posts: 100 Forumite
    UK actually has quite low density. About 97% of the country isn't built on. Even London is about 64% green space. We could quite easily double or even triple the number of houses in this country and the UK would still be over 90% green and pleasant land.

The restrictions on access to finance and removal of tax relief for landlords will have a far greater impact on house prices than Brexit. Landlords have been able to outbid FtB for a long time, until prices have exceeded what FtB can afford. Now that it's uneconomical for landlords to buy houses and flats in London, prices will go down to what FtB can afford.
  • Brexsh*t is going to sadly seriously damage the financial prospects of so many areas, including housing.

I weep for my country.

What an enormous pile of nonsense. Boeing piling pressure on Trump to stick tariffs on a Canadian company has literally nothing to do with Brexit.

Is this what this country has been reduced to: grown men weeping about an economic process they know almost nothing about. I'm not sure who the real snowflakes are.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    LdnFtB wrote: »
    UK actually has quite low density. About 97% of the country isn't built on. Even London is about 64% green space. We could quite easily double or even triple the number of houses in this country and the UK would still be over 90% green and pleasant land.

The restrictions on access to finance and removal of tax relief for landlords will have a far greater impact on house prices than Brexit. Landlords have been able to outbid FtB for a long time, until prices have exceeded what FtB can afford. Now that it's uneconomical for landlords to buy houses and flats in London, prices will go down to what FtB can afford.

Yep, this is the game changer, Tory leadership battle during Brexit and the eventual Corbyn government and bond market crisis will be the cherry on top.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    jimbog wrote: »
    You will get a better debate in the debate forum:

You probably won`t actually :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing