need a new car battery

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    spaceboy wrote: »
    I've noticed you get Li-ion car batteries now. Are these worth buying?
    They're primarily for stop-start equipped cars, and need charging at a different voltage to normal lead-acid.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2019 at 8:46AM
    Options
    You have to accept the consequences of buying car batteries online. If you have a problem are you going to post it back? Not cheap. Can you cope without your car while you wait for them to decide you have an alternator fault? I bought a Bosch online and it failed. Bosch wouldn't help. I had to accept I had gambled & lost. Meanwhile a friend took 2 car batteries back to eurocarparts and had them replaced. Last one I bought was an Exide from eurocarparts and it's been excellent. Will never buy another Bosch. Would never buy another car battery online (you have to order them from eurocarparts online and then collect them in-store)
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sure about that, there's a eurocarparts code that they freely give you which gives you a big discount.

And Carparts4Less have almost daily sales with 15-18% codes being emailed. Eurocarparts may occasionally be cheaper but I’ve been DIY maintaining cars for years and each time I try a comparison, still found CP4L cheaper. But, as this forum suggests, always shop around.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • fred246
    Options
    CP4L is normally a bit cheaper but I don't think you can take items bought at C4PL back to a branch of eurocarparts. Has anyone any experience of doing that? I assume they say they are a different company although everybody knows they aren't.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just my 2p worth, my last battery was for a diesel that was getting long in the tooth, as they get a bit harder to start I looked at the amp hour rating and compared it to new batteries. I went from something like 70ah to 80ah and got a Bosch from Euro car parts with a discount, it was about £75.

Although its a fair wedge of cash a car that wont always start is a blinking nightmare whereas a quick flick of the key and your away with a new battery - its a no brainer compared to the occasional idiot you see who regularly has to try charging and jump leads. On a small petrol car your probably talking £50.

In winter I was driving round with heated everything on, lights on, shorter trips and lower speeds, never a problem. Money well spent I recon.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Options
    Not sure about that, there's a eurocarparts code that they freely give you which gives you a big discount.

I just thought I'd put that to the test. Best deals over this bank holiday weekend, Euro offering a "BANK70" code and CP4L "HOLIDAY20".

I put standard service parts into baskets on both websites, identical branded products. Oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter and 4 spark plugs. Applied the discount codes and total came to Eurocarparts = £97.22, CP4L = £89.03 both with free delivery. So CP4L still 10% cheaper.

I've also returned stuff to CP4L without any problem, they come and collect.
  • fred246
    Options
    I've also returned stuff to CP4L without any problem, they come and collect.

This discussion is about car batteries though. If they come and collect a car battery most people can't use their cars until they get a new one. At eurocarparts you take in the bad one, argue a bit, and walk out with a new one. So if you buy a battery from C4PL can you exchange it at eurocarparts?
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Halfords prices are reasonable if you have a trade card they were a lot cheaper than ECP and CP4L on my battery and they ensure you have the correct one.

" What trades are eligible for a Halfords Trade Card?

The following trades are applicable for a Halfords Trade Card:

Qualified mechanic
    Self-employed mechanic
    Mobile mechanic
    Small independent garage mechanic
    Fast Fit Centre mechanic
    Commercial vehicle mechanic
    Police, fire or ambulance mechanic
    Bus mechanic
    Local authority mechanic
    Recovery mechanic
    College motor vehicle staff
    Army mechanic

RAF or aviation engineer
    Naval engineer
    Marine engineer/mechanic
    Carpenter
    Electrician
    Plumber
    Glazier
    Landscape/Fencer
    Welder/Metal worker
    Utilities worker
    Taxi companies & drivers
    Courier companies & drivers

"
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When you've opened the bonnet to replace the battery, make sure that your keys aren't still sitting in the ignition switch as some cars can automatically lock when the battery is reconnected.
    I had that happen at a battery fitting place!
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    This discussion is about car batteries though. If they come and collect a car battery most people can't use their cars until they get a new one. At eurocarparts you take in the bad one, argue a bit, and walk out with a new one. So if you buy a battery from C4PL can you exchange it at eurocarparts?

Of course, we're talking about batteries. But why the need to exchange? Can't you just order the correct one in the first place? I've bought 3-4 batteries online over the years and never had to send one back (all Bosch). Changing one in an Audi A4 B6 was a pig though as it's hemmed in by all sorts and the retaining bolt awkward to get to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport