Rejecting car - not as described

Options
2»

Comments

• JackeeBoy
    JackeeBoy Posts: 229 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Can you be more specific about what doesn't work with the car that was described differently?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What did you clarify about the "things that don't work"? Did you merely clarify they were fitted, or did you specifically ask if they were in full functioning order?

As far as "full history" goes, one scrawled and grubby receipt may well be a full history, if that's all the work ever done to the car. "Full history" does not necessarily mean the manufacturer's schedule has been followed precisely.
  • plane_boy2000
    plane_boy2000 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    What did you clarify about the "things that don't work"? Did you merely clarify they were fitted, or did you specifically ask if they were in full functioning order?

As far as "full history" goes, one scrawled and grubby receipt may well be a full history, if that's all the work ever done to the car. "Full history" does not necessarily mean the manufacturer's schedule has been followed precisely.

Specifically asked that the Aircon works - was told it was "ice cold" and didn't even need re-gassing. Told the only fault with the car was in relation to a sun blind. Car also has an electrical fault where the ignition is dead, then 10 minutes later its OK

History was listed in the advert as "to much to list, serviced every x thousand miles, fully documented history" To me, fully documented would mean a reference to the work being performed at the claimed mileage - either a stamp or invoice - what I have is a few invoices for a fraction of the claimed services
  • plane_boy2000
    plane_boy2000 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    Options
    JackeeBoy wrote: »
    Can you be more specific about what doesn't work with the car that was described differently?

Specifically asked about the Aircon working and was told it was ice cold - it doesn't function at all. Was told nothing else wrong with it, but it has an electrical fault where the ignition is dead, then later it will be OK again
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    History was listed in the advert as "to much to list, serviced every x thousand miles, fully documented history" To me, fully documented would mean a reference to the work being performed at the claimed mileage - either a stamp or invoice - what I have is a few invoices for a fraction of the claimed services

To me, that just states that every service the car has had, has been documented, not that it has had every service. Although, there should be evidence of a service every X thousand miles based on that statement, even though this might not be in line with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Specifically asked that the Aircon works - was told it was "ice cold" and didn't even need re-gassing. Told the only fault with the car was in relation to a sun blind. Car also has an electrical fault where the ignition is dead, then 10 minutes later its OK

Sounds like stuff that would have seen you walking away, if you'd looked before buying.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Sounds like stuff that would have seen you walking away, if you'd looked before buying.

Yup. Always check the paperwork before buying, because car dealers lie. I'd bought one, the guy told me it's got full history and he'll look out the folder when I collect it. I collected it to be told "Nah I don't have any paperwork for it". My fault entirely but lesson learnt.

If you bought over the phone or not, being told the aircon works when it doesn't should at least be sufficient to get them to fix it, so take it back to their site and talk to them. You have to give them a chance to fix it before rejecting.

You may be able to reproduce some of the history if you take the documentation into the appropriate mail dealer or if you can find out if it's been in a franchise (mine had an Arnold Clark sticker, who had computerized records).
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Of course, with the aircon, it's entirely possible that the dealer didn't lie. The aircon may well have been ice cold when tested.

But the refrigerant may have leaked since then. Perhaps a stone pierced the condensor the first time the OP drive the car. Perhaps the car's been sat in the dealer's yard for a few weeks, and it just has a slow leak past a seal (and it was topped up the day before being sold to the dealer).
  • Hermione_Granger
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    If you bought over the phone or not, being told the aircon works when it doesn't should at least be sufficient to get them to fix it, so take it back to their site and talk to them. You have to give them a chance to fix it before rejecting.

No they don't.
    If rejecting within the first 30 days and the dealer accepts that there is a fault that was there when the car was sold, then it can be rejected without having to give them a chance to repair.
    It's only after the first 30 days that the dealer can opt to carry out a repair.

It might only be a small job to get the aircon working so personally, if the car was good value them I would ask for a repair but you are under no obligation to do so if you don't want to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure