Financial Fight Back Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• tasharthur
    Options
    on the 6th October, I had someone pay into my account in branch for some second hand kids clothes. When checking my account after she said she had put the money in, I noticed that £190 had also been taken out in branch. At the time I didn't notice which branch, I just called the bank straight away to find out whats happened. I was initially told the cash had been taken with valid ID. Sooo that was just horrifying to think someone had fake ID. The call was logged with the fraud team, and I was waiting a call back from the manager. This never happened so I called back later in the day. The guy just didn't have a clue what he was doing, obviously my card was stopped and was told the only way I could access money was in branch, so had a 20minute argument with him saying well how safe is that then if someone has ID in my name pretending to be me then they could take money out again as they have done. He didn't get this at all! He then said weve put a password on the account (his name) and I was to use that when going to take out money. Anyway after speaking to someone else privately about this, they mentioned to check what branch the money had come from I noticed it was the same branch as the lady paying in, she said maybe they just didn't clear your account when serving the next customer. Anyway I went into my local branch the next day to retrieve money (no password needed!) and said to them that perhaps they just served the next customer on my account. I had a call within 30 mins after that saying yes that's what happened, the lady in the branch was way more helpful than the fraud team on the phone!!, well basically the till froze and when it restarted it remembered my details not that of the person serving - again this shouldn't have happened! Money was refunded, and I then logged the complaint with the bank, and I had a letter yesterday saying ill get an answer to whats happened by 30th November. I know they have 8 weeks to answer but really! its a simple you done a big boo boo! Can anyone offer advice on what I can expect from them - I am still waiting an apology! not even had that!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chances are you'll get a vague apology and probably £25 or £50 compo to make you go away. You had the money refunded, you lost nothing, the bank admitted they were at fault, time to move on.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    tasharthur wrote: »
    on the 6th October, I had someone pay into my account in branch for some second hand kids clothes. When checking my account after she said she had put the money in, I noticed that £190 had also been taken out in branch. At the time I didn't notice which branch, I just called the bank straight away to find out whats happened. I was initially told the cash had been taken with valid ID. Sooo that was just horrifying to think someone had fake ID. The call was logged with the fraud team, and I was waiting a call back from the manager. This never happened so I called back later in the day. The guy just didn't have a clue what he was doing, obviously my card was stopped and was told the only way I could access money was in branch, so had a 20minute argument with him saying well how safe is that then if someone has ID in my name pretending to be me then they could take money out again as they have done. He didn't get this at all! He then said weve put a password on the account (his name) and I was to use that when going to take out money. Anyway after speaking to someone else privately about this, they mentioned to check what branch the money had come from I noticed it was the same branch as the lady paying in, she said maybe they just didn't clear your account when serving the next customer. Anyway I went into my local branch the next day to retrieve money (no password needed!) and said to them that perhaps they just served the next customer on my account. I had a call within 30 mins after that saying yes that's what happened, the lady in the branch was way more helpful than the fraud team on the phone!!, well basically the till froze and when it restarted it remembered my details not that of the person serving - again this shouldn't have happened! Money was refunded, and I then logged the complaint with the bank, and I had a letter yesterday saying ill get an answer to whats happened by 30th November. I know they have 8 weeks to answer but really! its a simple you done a big boo boo! Can anyone offer advice on what I can expect from them - I am still waiting an apology! not even had that!

An apology and a very small amount for inconvenience. You are not worse off because of this. Just inconvenienced due to someone committing fraud (which they do not have to compensate you for other then return the funds) and a bank clerk who was less than helpful (where they would probably give you a small amount).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • hybernia
    hybernia Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having read the MSE article from which this discussion thread stems, I'm baffled to note MSE failure to highlight the fact that the Financial Ombudsman Service's remit does NOT include the investigation / adjudication of complaints against DCAs in pursuit of money claimed by utility companies (water, gas, and electric.)

This country's 'Big Six' energy companies have a truly appalling record of mismanaging customer bills and I have no doubt that, like members of my own family, there'll be hundreds of people right now who are being unjustifiably harassed by DCAs on behalf of those companies.

My family members are presently having to deal with one particular DCA in regard to a bill which is grossly wrong, which the DCA has been repeatedly told is disputed, and in regard to which the DCA has been asked on not one but four separate occasions to actually produce the evidence upon which it keeps issuing its threats.

Last Friday, my family members received yet another threatening pay-up-or-else letter from the DCA, this time to say that Court action will follow if the amount allegedly owing is not paid within 7 days.

Pressure to pay this amount has been exerted by letter and by phone call. Failure to provide evidence of claim has been consistent. Refusal to cease harassment whilst knowing full well that the amount is disputed (and the subject of formal complaint to its client) is blatant.

Is it, one wonders, because both the DCAs and the energy companies in this country are laughing up their sleeves because they know that the Financial Ombudsman Service is *not* going to do anything in a case like this?

Or is there, after all, some means whereby a DCA's conduct in such a case can be drawn to the attention of at least some regulatory authority or other so as to clamp down on this kind of behaviour?

There's so much, much talk in this country of consumer protection -- including that MSE article -- but when it comes to the disgraceful behaviour of so many utility companies (behaviour ironically highlighted here on MSE itself in countless hundreds of posts) it seems the protection isn't there when truly needed: if a giant gas and electricity supplier wishes to make someone's life hell, then by all means, let it do so.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that one. I don't know what to say! :D

Definitely an effective "financial fightback"

I hit Spam.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I hit Spam.

same here
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi folks

You might like to read this Independent Review out today:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/pdf/independent-review-2018.PDF
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Janin
    Janin Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    I am awaiting a Financial Ombudsman Service investigation decision about my serious complaints about Kensington Mortgage Company. I think the staff I have dealt with at the Financial Ombudsman Service have been wonderful, helpful, supportive, shown empathy and understanding of my plight. I feel confident they are taking my concerns seriously and that they genuinely care about ordinary people and see the injustice and unfairness I received and will I am confident they will help. Sometimes I get down that it has been a long process, but mine is a very complex case which as I will explain has been delayed and thwarted by the actions of Kensington Mortgage Company, who have tried everything, even lied to prevent the FOS being involved.

I have been wanting to apply to the Financial Ombudsman Service for years and Kensington Mortgage Company responded to my complaint in writing stating I was not an eligible complainant to the FOS and The Financial Conduct Authority would not allow them to investigate my complaints about hidden, unfair and excessive charges. On one day alone back in 2013 Kensington Mortgage Company charged the account £17,612. In one year 2013-14 the total charges added to the account was over £40,000. I could only just about manage the mortgage and as a lone parent and survivor of domestic and economic abuse from my ex partner, but could not afford to pay hidden and unknown charges indefinitely, especially as they were occurring despite paying the agreed monthly mortgage amount.

In 2019 it was confirmed that I was an eligible complainant to the FOS under FCA rules and had been all along and my concerns should have been addressed back in 2014. It was also confirmed that Kensington Mortgage Company had no right to decide and tell me or the Court who was dealing with possession proceedings that the Financial Ombudsman Service had refused to help me and if the Court was minded to order that they did, they would appeal as the Court had no jurisdiction to force the FOS to consider my complaints.

That turned out to be lies and again both myself and the Court were misinformed. (There are now misconduct complaints investigations by the Bar Standards Board for the Radcliffe Chambers Barrister that passed on the incorrect information to the Judge, as well as Solicitor Regulation Authority Complaints against the Denton’s Solicitors Lawyer and Paul Heeley Kensington Mortgage Company’s own in house Senior Lawyer for their parts in misinforming the Courts) it turns out the FOS had written to Kensington Mortgage Company prior to the Court hearings informing Kensington Mortgage Company Litigation Team that my Complaints were with them, going to be investigated, I was eligible to complain and most importantly to please hold off on any eviction or repossession proceedings. Of course the Solicitors and Barrister being investigated for misconduct, forgot to tell the Judge that bit, even though he asked these questions outright. Because the Court was likely to have said that the repossession proceedings could be put on hold to allow a fair investigation by the FOS,,as the FOS also requested, these lawyers wanted a repossession so lied. I was a litigant in person so they thought I would never fight on and investigate until I found the truth, especially after I lost my home. Now the FOS investigation is tasked with putting me back to the position I would have been, had the lies and errors not occurred.

So if a lender ever writes and says you are not eligible to complain to the FOS, they are lying. Under FCA DISP Rules 1.4 they must merely inform you that you can bring a complaint to the FOS and provide a leaflet on how to complain to the FOS. It is the FOS who decides whether or not someone is eligible to complain and if they will or not. Any lender like Kensington Mortgage Company who tries to interfere with this process to help consumers knows they have done something that is wrong.

It has been 1 year 2 months since I first complained to Kensington Mortgage Company and 8 months since I was deemed in jurisdiction by the FOS and my complaint started. The FOS have asked Kensington Mortgage Company if they wish to make a settlement for their actions before the long FOS investigation concludes and Kensington Mortgage Company have said no.

However, even though I have started the complaints process to the legal regulatory authorities about the Solicitors and Barrister, Kensington Mortgage Company appear to let them be thrown under the bus. I was told to even save the reputation and careers of their legal team they might offer to settle, they have not.

I lost everything my home, much of my belongings and my home was sold at a massive undervalue leaving me with nothing. But these methods adopted by Kensington Mortgage Company and their Lawyers are tried and tested and need to be exposed so they don’t continue pulling the wool over the eyes of the Court, the Financial Conduct Authority and the public to get repossessions. So I know my case involves so much evidence that proves Kensington Mortgage Company acted intentionally wrong, this will be highlighted and hopefully prevent other families and children being made homeless
  • bagder1
    Options
    Hi
    I recently transferred my current to RBS (premier Black) I used their current account switching service. It was a disaster none of my DDs or SOs transferred. The first found out about this was when our internet was shut down for non-payment. Initial RBS said to check with BT but later accepted that it was their issue. After a few more DDs were identified as not been paid RBS re-sent all the DD mandates a second time. Most did not work again and i had to restart all the DDs myself. The real problem ones were my DD to HMRC stopped and my account in now under review for non payment. My pet insurance was invalid when i needed to make a claim. These are to name a few. A lot of the calls to fix this was made from the US so i will be looking to claim my call costs, which is easy to prove. My question is this has gone on for over 6/8 weeks. What level of compensation would be fair? RBS has offered £50 which i feel is not correct. RBS have upheld my compliant but insists there has been no bank error as they followed the process. Any ninja's out there with some advice would be great.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What level of compensation would be fair?
    £25-£100 would be the typical range.   

Most did not work again and i had to restart all the DDs myself.
    Sadly there are flaws with the bank transfer system and direct debits frequently are the major issue.   Often it is not the fault of the bank but the originator.    Some originators will act on the AUDDIS request (electronic notification sent out by the bank to give new bank details).  However, some just cancel the mandate and require a new one to be set up.    The bank is not at fault for those originators that do that.

The real problem ones were my DD to HMRC stopped and my account in now under review for non payment. 
    That isnt how HMRC work.    It would be treated as a late payment and they would bug you to get it paid ASAP.    You are not under some "review" because of that unless you are intentionally extending the delay on purpose.

My pet insurance was invalid when i needed to make a claim. 
    That does not sound right either.   One a payment fails under the DD scheme, the insurer will contact you to let you know and ask for a new mandate and advise that if they do not hear from you by a certain date, they will cancel the policy.     You pay monthly in advance for insurance.    Again, this would normally not be an issue unless you have extended the time to sort it out beyond what is considered reasonable (which for insurance is within 28 days of being due).

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback