PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A simpler life - version 2.0

Comments

• Purple_kitten
    Purple_kitten Posts: 3,031 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I was following the old thread, I know forums like this must be entertaining to maintain, however there are very basic things that just are not being done like being able to use apostrophes!

I am de lurking for Panagia, DH and I have a phaff sewing machine we absolutely love. We did a lot of research into getting it serviced and found a little local-ish shop which was fantastic, they also advised us that they loved the machine and to keep it as new machines are made very differently, perhaps not to the quality we are now used to.

We needed to wait about a fortnight as they are popular, I can!!!8217;t remember what the service cost exactly as we also needed a repair, but I think it was just under £100. If you find a good place they will be able to advise you if it is worth servicing.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,664 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    De-lurking to lament the passing of the first thread, and to say that I normally pay £60-odd for a sewing machine service down here on the South Coast. Three keen stitchers in this house mean we have a lovely big computerised Pfaff, a sturdy Bernina 1008S, a 1960s Bernina 707, and a much-loved 1909 Jones Medium treadle, not to mention an overlocker (Janome) and an embellisher (also a Pfaff) - and a few odd handcranks, including a tiny old German long-bobbin one that has been known to come camping with us! They all do different things best... two of us do sometimes sell the things we make, and I can service the machines that don't use electricity myself, so I'm not always bothering our lovely local repairman!

Your vacuum is your sewing machine's best friend, after the oil bottle - lint or old thread stuck in the feed dogs or bobbin race causes about 50% of problems, and hoovering out the lint & fluff regularly really helps your machine work well. Most of the rest, especially problems that look like the tension's gone, are caused by threading glitches; I spent years mis-threading one of mine & wondering why it kept going wrong! Also - use the right needle and the right thread for each different job, and you won't need to get it serviced too often.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you for reopening the thread, Ricarda. I missed it.
  • emiai
    emiai Posts: 1,253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Yes, Thanks for restarting this thread. It is a place I went to often when I needed inspiration. I love reading everyone's comments.

I am still decluttering and trying to transfer a lot of my bills to be digital now, so i'm opting for paperless. I also made my passwords more secure in light of this.

I started a new job recently, and my hands are so dry and sore.. I bought some hand and nail cream from tesco (Conditioning with pro vitamin b5) today to try to give it some moisture. Its because I have to use a lot of that alcohol rub - and I'm just not used to it. Any recommendations for a good trusted hand cream?

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
    Wishing you all good luck!
    Oldstyle moneysaving addict
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Mrs sd, I really feel for you, I know how hard you've worked to kondo your own home.
    Is your sister moving in with you temporarily or permanent? If permanent I'm afraid I would be telling her to get rid of everything apart from clothes and sentimental things. After all its your home and I certainly wouldn't want boxes everywhere, anything that won't fit in her bed room would have to go.
    If it's temporary could she not put things into storage or maybe ask someone with a garage to store some things?
    With regard to clearing now I'm afraid if she won't help then I would get house clearance in to move it all.
    I wish you luck, and hope you don't think I'm being harsh but if you and your sister love each other there's got to be give and take and you are already giving a lot by offering your home to her.
    I have 4 sisters by the way, and would do the same with them.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your advice & insights. I am feeling a little bit better after reading your posts & my DH is about to arrive & he seems to be able to get through to my sister in a way I cannot - I am obviously too emotionally invested :o. My DSis does have a DS but he has two service jobs because he flunked school & didn’t take his Baccalaureate - so his options are limited. He has made some poor choices & he is more of a hoarder than either I or my DSis were at his age (27) :(

DH has phoned a couple of times & points out that we are VERY fortunate that we have money & what is the point of it if we cannot use it :o

Not sure if it is a temporary or permanent thing but we will take it as it comes. See already more optimistic :rotfl: - it is a wonder to me how I managed to get such a wonderful husband :D When He is down I am the more optimistic & when I am down he is the more optimistic :T It has worked well for over 25 years of marriage :j

Anyway he has just arrived - didn’t even give him time to take his helmet off before I got my first hug & kiss!

So I will love you & leave you and thank you all again for your words of wisdom:beer: all around or wine if that is your preference :rotfl:

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I was following the old thread, I know forums like this must be entertaining to maintain, however there are very basic things that just are not being done like being able to use apostrophes!

I am de lurking for Panagia, DH and I have a phaff sewing machine we absolutely love. We did a lot of research into getting it serviced and found a little local-ish shop which was fantastic, they also advised us that they loved the machine and to keep it as new machines are made very differently, perhaps not to the quality we are now used to.

We needed to wait about a fortnight as they are popular, I can!!!8217;t remember what the service cost exactly as we also needed a repair, but I think it was just under £100. If you find a good place they will be able to advise you if it is worth servicing.

Hi,the apostrophes have nothing to do with mse. It is to do with your phone setting. I had the same problem but googled it and sorted it out. Go to settings then to general. Then to keyboard and the turn off 'smart punctuation' and the problem will disappear.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    emiai wrote: »
    Yes, Thanks for restarting this thread. It is a place I went to often when I needed inspiration. I love reading everyone's comments.

I am still decluttering and trying to transfer a lot of my bills to be digital now, so i'm opting for paperless. I also made my passwords more secure in light of this.

I started a new job recently, and my hands are so dry and sore.. I bought some hand and nail cream from tesco (Conditioning with pro vitamin b5) today to try to give it some moisture. Its because I have to use a lot of that alcohol rub - and I'm just not used to it. Any recommendations for a good trusted hand cream?

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

Hello, lurker to be old thread. Loved reading how you are all simplifying your lives. I am trying to do the same.
    Hand cream - best I have found and I get very dry hands and my husband can use it - he has eczema - Clarin's hand cream. Not the cheapest but works.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Emiai does your work supply hand cream. It may not be very good but it does help if you use it throughout the day and then use a decent one at the end of work and also at the start of the day.

I'm slowly decluttering which makes life simpler as cleaning is quicker. I cleaned my kitchen cupboards and rearranged them and is much easier to use.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Gem-gem wrote: »
    Hi,the apostrophes have nothing to do with mse. It is to do with your phone setting. I had the same problem but googled it and sorted it out. Go to settings then to general. Then to keyboard and the turn off 'smart punctuation' and the problem will disappear.

You're a star!!!! I've been wondering how to do that. Thank you.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure