Falsely accused of shoplifting

Comments

• powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    loftykins wrote: »
    that's my point, you have not stolen anything until you leave the store without paying for it.

That's not correct.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    As it's a local store, could they have been "caught on CCTV shoplifting" previously but only identified on this visit?
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Okay, so even if it is free, the OP either gets a film of some possibly suspicious activity, or one with absolutely nothing.

It will make zero difference to the outcome of this.

Well if there is no unusual activity then it supports the op's complaint to the store.

If there is unusual activity then it may help the op understand why they were falsely accused e.g they may be able to understand why they were suspected of theft.

I don't think the op is due any legal redress but if they are looking for an explanation, and have been told they were caught on cctv, then demanding the cctv footage seems a good idea to me.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As it's a local store, could they have been "caught on CCTV shoplifting" previously but only identified on this visit?

This was my suspicion on reading the OP too. The manager may well have been referring to a prior instance and wanted to avoid a reoccurrence without actually calling the police etc.

Regardless, this doesn't have anything to do with Consumer Rights..
  • Emsam
    Emsam Posts: 8 Forumite
    The outcome I'd like is for an apology and to feel welcome back in the shop so that I'm not inconvenienced.
  • Emsam
    Maybe you'd like to suggest a forum?
    I've seen other posts about false accusations of shoplifting on this before and no one complained.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Emsam wrote: »
    I've seen other posts about false accusations of shoplifting on this before and no one complained.

Can you perhaps point us to one of those shoplifting threads where no-one has complained?
  • Emsam
    Ok to clear a few questions.
    We were not eating in store.
    I know my son's behaviours and stealing is not one of them.
    Neither of us have ever shop lifted before.
    It's an absolute disgrace the way she spoke to me. The reason I requested to see CCTV was because my daughter had already missed her bus and I wasn't in a hurry anymore.
    I left the store at the point I did because I'm not very comfortable complaining in public verbally.
    It does matter about my daughter and her selective mutism as this has affected her confidence and faith in the human race and she feels nervous going out anyway but she feels 10x worse now.
  • Emsam
    I contacted the solicitors because I wanted support and advice.
    Same for CAB.
    The police lady was very helpful and informative and didnt once give me the impression that I was wasting her time at all.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Emsam wrote: »
    Ok to clear a few questions.
    We were not eating in store.
    I know my son's behaviours and stealing is not one of them.
    Neither of us have ever shop lifted before.
    It's an absolute disgrace the way she spoke to me. The reason I requested to see CCTV was because my daughter had already missed her bus and I wasn't in a hurry anymore.
    I left the store at the point I did because I'm not very comfortable complaining in public verbally.
    It does matter about my daughter and her selective mutism as this has affected her confidence and faith in the human race and she feels nervous going out anyway but she feels 10x worse now.

So you went from being in a rush for a bus to her missing the bus and no longer being in a rush in the time it took for the manager to say 'we've got you shoplifting on cctv.'

Also you lost me at 'lost faith in the human race' you need to talk to your daughter and allow her to realise that not everyone is the same and she will encounter many different people in life. Allowing one negative incident to 'affect her faith in the human race' is overreacting. In fact this whole thing is overreacting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure