Cherry takes the reins

Comments

• parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ah, what is it with stationery that's so tempting. Pens, notebooks, lots of beautiful stuff which gets ruined by my scribble writing. Fountain pens are a particular favourite of mine.

That completed list is huge. I would love that motivation. Well done.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,011 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 12 October 2017 at 12:45AM
    Another list for today:

piano practice ...a bit
    Training session at work DONE
    find details of Mum's shares NOT DONE
    email re Mum's shares DONE - but got a bounce back so will need to think what to do next
    email re annual leave DONE
    ironing DONE
    put clothes away started
    Do meter readings DONE
    Wash lounge curtains DONE (and ironed and hung up again :))
    Tidy up/pot on plants in lounge DONE
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 12 October 2017 at 1:07AM
    Again, a reasonably successful day. The training didn't last as long as it was meant to so I could have gone to work on the old house today after all but I've decided it's better I have the time here and travel tomorrow. I haven't booked a ticket as I want to stop on the way for some clothes shopping.

I did have time to trek across town and found some of the light-up twigs: just a little bunch but unfortunately I could only get the battery-operated ones so I had to buy batteries too. I'm taking this set to the old house: I think it will make it seem lived in. Other than that I bought a whole pound's worth of toaster bag for my sister's use (she doesn't have gluten so sharing a toaster with me when she visits the house must be a bit of a problem), a cheap chopping board because the house's glass one is setting my teeth on edge :D and, well, yet more food. DH is on a trying new foods stage and I'm not going to miss the opportunity! I made a chicken and chorizo pasta which went down very well but I included pine nuts which are never money saving.

The housework is still happening: both the downstairs rooms which have curtains now have freshly washed curtains and cleaned windows, which makes me happy. I've also potted up an amaryllis that I treated myself to while on holiday, and potted on one which I inherited from Mum. One white, one red. I'm looking forward to seeing them in bloom around Christmas. My Christmas cacti are already budding beautifully: they count as MS as I've had them so long. :)

As mentioned above, I emailed someone to deal with some shares Mum had but oddly, had a reply to say they are away till December! That just seems very strange, though I had a bounce-back email from another company a while ago saying they were out of office till Easter (this in about September). I don't know what's the next stage with the shares: it's possible I have a document they were asking for, but it will take some looking for.

I've also read the meters and sent in the readings: so far my swapping utilities companies seems to have been the right move as bills are well down but as I've never done this myself and am clueless (despite following instructions on here), I worry that I may have signed up for something that won't cover our costs and we'll end up with a big bill. At the moment we're £47 in credit though.

Spends:
    Gift £1.00
    Household £7.47
    Housekeeping £12.06
    MS stuff:
    Meter readings so they don't have to estimate
    Prepared some food to take on the train and got my flask out.
    Avoided my colleagues' trip out for coffee (could have been nice but I had other plans).
    Confession time:
    Small splurge on the fairy lights & chopping board but I think they will make the place a bit easier to be in.
    Bigger splurge on the ingredients for tonight's meal but plenty left over to use later.

• The amaryllis plants will be something to look forward to. I love planting bulbs or having them in one of those water jars that are designed for bulbs.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • NoOneAround
    NoOneAround Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sounds like you have done loads Cherry :) and the amaryllis plants sound lovely.
    Have a good weekend :)
    x
    NOA
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • Cherryfudge
    Back again after exhausting myself working at Mum's! I made real progress though every time I do this, it brings home to me how much there still is to do. In fact, progress always seems to unearth a new lot of things!

This time around I had to clear spaces around radiators so the company can come in and replace them. I've just paid the deposit for the work but while clearing I found a radiator I hadn't known about! The man who does radiators think it may necessitate a larger boiler which will of course cost more. I pointed out that it hasn't been used for decades and no one's missed it (it's behind furniture on the landing and there's a very good updraft from the hall to warm the area). He's going to see what he thinks when he goes back to start work. My question is whether the boiler he's recommended is going to be only just sufficient and if so should I go for a slightly more powerful one? If we sell the house, would a potential purchaser want to add heaters, and be put off by the smaller boiler? I'm not a good judge of whether a house feels warm to other people as I would rather be a bit too cold than too hot.

Anyway, I spent an afternoon out in the unseasonably mild weather cleaning windows and window frames at the back of the house and repairing and painting an external door which really needs replacing. A colleague who is always doing up his house has now recommended a firm I hadn't heard of (door shopping not being one of my vices) which has a branch local to the house, so I may actually get the door replaced. In the meantime it helps the look of the house and might just last the winter.

Of course, all this eye candy was a displacement activity as I really didn't want to get down to the heavy work of clearing around radiators. In the late afternoon I couldn't put it off any more and worked through till midnight: amazingly I have done most of it and the lady who does the garden will shift some more. I tend to do the bedrooms as there's all sorts heaped up there. Only one of four was already accessible. Now it's three of four so I texted the radiator man to explain I had discovered a marble table in front of the other one and there's nowhere to move it to!

I suppose I have made a very small bit of progress towards actually clearing stuff: a mop handle went in the bin, for instance! I am really poor at decluttering at the best of times. Until things are orderly I find it hard to assess what's rubbish and what isn't. I have heard that people tend to overvalue their own possessions and I can believe it. We don't see the wear and tear or the replace-ability as others might. I pulled out a folding table Mum had kept by the cooker (she couldn't stoop to get things from low down), cleaned it and the surrounding area and used it to hold some big and probably value-less large vases. That sort of thing is just taking up space so I need to make some decisions and possibly send to charity but with no car I'll just collect more together till it's worth doing a delivery.

Sorry, lots of waffle!

I started and finished the trip with shopping trips and have a few Christmas presents and some clothing... I'll post separately with costs as I really need to get ready for work soon.

• Hi cherry! Reading some of your diary had reminded me how helpful and motivating lists can be!
    You seem to be doing well on all fronts :)
    Good luck with the clutter clearing too...
  • Cherryfudge
    Thank you Happierdays - the clutter clearing is one that will run and run!

So: spends for the last few days:
    12th:
    Train fare £57.10 - I'll reclaim most of this from the estate but I could have done it a bit cheaper if I hadn't broken the journey to do Christmas shopping, so I will pay the difference.
    Clothing £21.45
    Gifts £40.45
    Housekeeping £9.64
    Household £3.50 but this item was faulty so had it refunded later in the week.
    Toiletries £1.00
    13th:
    NSD
    14th:
    Household £3.50
    Housekeeping £1.00
    Pets £2.50
    Gifts £13.49
    15th:
    NSD
    16th:
    Housekeeping £?
    17th:
    Household £14.60
    Housekeeping £10.89

No piano lesson this week as I had to work, and no run for absolutely ages (since I was on holiday). Hurricane Ophelia was my excuse yesterday, and some days there's a lot to do and it's hard to fit in running but tbh I felt rather unwell on hols and the running didn't go well, and now I'm back I'm coping with a couple of issues (nothing dangerous but getting me down a bit) and the motivation isn't quite there. I do know that once I get back to it, I will feel better though.

• Cherryfudge
    edited 21 October 2017 at 11:55PM
    Some grocery spending again yesterday (£6.84) plus rescued plants for the garden (£0.30) and small gifts for stockings (£4.29) and an NSD today.

Unexpectedly had to cover overnight at work last night and part of today too, so tonight I need my rest! :)

• Cherryfudge
    Another NSD, another run (new pb yesterday :) ) and another extended shift at work.

Phew! Glad I now have a couple of days off.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport