Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Comments

• Is this the beginning of the end for high interest current accounts? Club Lloyds offer better benefits than BOS - 6 cinema tickets a year plus a 3% Club Lloyds monthly saver with £400 maximum contribution, but the 1.5% rate is abyssmal. Will Halifax reduce its £3 a month on its current account?
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is this the beginning of the end for high interest current accounts? Club Lloyds offer better benefits than BOS - 6 cinema tickets a year plus a 3% Club Lloyds monthly saver with £400 maximum contribution, but the 1.5% rate is abyssmal. Will Halifax reduce its £3 a month on its current account?

Much nearer the end of the end of the high interest aspect :)
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Hmmm... First Direct have a "big announcement" very soon. :think:
    A spokesman replied: 'It would be fair to say it's been a long term fixture.

'What I can tell you is we've a big announcement very soon and will let you know as soon as we're able to.!

'Needless to say it’s exciting and pioneering as you’d expect from First Direct.'

Read more:!http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-5630211/First-Direct-axe-juicy-current-account-switching-incentive.html#ixzz5D96bQhf0!
    Follow us:!@MailOnline on Twitter!|!DailyMail on Facebook

Let the speculation begin...
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • HornetSaver
    HornetSaver Posts: 3,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I see that TSB Classic Plus has disappeared from the "Other top interest-paying current accounts" on the same day that it went from 3% to 5%.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't encourage anyone to go out of their way to join TSB right now. But that seems somewhat of a shift on MSE's part. They usually warn people off of good-looking deals from providers who are not doing a great job with disclaimers etc.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't encourage anyone to go out of their way to join TSB right now. But that seems somewhat of a shift on MSE's part. They usually warn people off of good-looking deals from providers who are not doing a great job with disclaimers etc.

TSB are fine if you want to use the account as a 5% savings account. Current problems will be sorted at some point I reckon, and all will be well again.
  • HornetSaver
    HornetSaver Posts: 3,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    TSB are fine if you want to use the account as a 5% savings account. Current problems will be sorted at some point I reckon, and all will be well again.

I'm with them, and their response to the current problems in terms of increasing the interest rate makes me better off (despite having no intention of trying to claim compensation). Less hassle than a linked saver.

I'm simply saying that now would be an odd time to take advantage of their refer a friend offer.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I'm simply saying that now would be an odd time to take advantage of their refer a friend offer.

I disagree. Four of us have logged on today and performed various transfers and each made payments and it's been ok. Not perfect, but manageable.

I don't see any reason not to join TSB. Whatever problems they have will be ironed out, I'm sure. I certainly won't be jumping ship now that they've upped the rate to 5%.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    I see that Martin and MSE's love-in with First Direct continues in this week's e-mail, which contains the utterly ludicrous and unsubstantiated sentence (courtesy of Martin Lewis),
    The start point here is First Direct has without question the best service of any fee-free bank account.

What utter garbage. How exactly is it without question, Martin? I'm questioning it for a start.

First Direct are perfectly fine, but the plugging of them so much on MSE is utterly ridiculous and undermines any sense of the site being objective. Add in the fact that they have now removed TSB Classic Plus from the best interest paying accounts guide (and some time ago removed Santander 123) and their supposed independence and objectivity seems like a lot of hot air.

This is yet another example of the lack of journalistic rigour which is becoming a common feature of this website.
  • Byzar
    Byzar Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I want to switch from Club Lloyds to 123 Santander Lite or First Direct! I've read all good things about FD. Can anyone advice to choose one of this? Pro and cons , on both of them! Thanks
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Especially now its ended ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure