2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    spudsmum wrote: »
    Frugaldom - please tell me more about these soap nuts and laundry gloop - with 3 smalls and a messy husband laundry stuff is one of my biggest expenses

.... Copy/pasted from an old post...

Homemade laundry 'gloop' as it is called, is easy to make. I use the following recipe for my LAUNDRY 'GLOOP' and this gets diluted to between 5 and 7 litres, depending on what's being washed.

1 bar of soap, grated
    1 cup of washing soda (or Soda crystals)
    1 litre water
    A few drops of essential oil (if required)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • spudsmum
    spudsmum Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Frugaldom wrote: »
    .... Copy/pasted from an old post...

Homemade laundry 'gloop' as it is called, is easy to make. I use the following recipe for my LAUNDRY 'GLOOP' and this gets diluted to between 5 and 7 litres, depending on what's being washed.

1 bar of soap, grated
    1 cup of washing soda (or Soda crystals)
    1 litre water
    A few drops of essential oil (if required)

Thanks so much for this Frugaldom will give it a go - the twins go through so many clothes we have to do about 10 loads a week. I spend loads on wash powder that doesn't really get the clothes clean so then need to spend more on stain removers etc - would make a massive difference to my budget if I could find a viable alternative
    Total debts £21050! :eek: now £10941. 76. Total extra income made in Jan22 £109. 27 Feb 22 £45.25 Total extra income made in 2022 £154.52 Aiming for debt free at 45 - 41 months to go!
  • evuka - the 6 month supply of loo roll is from Amaz*n,. It's recycled from Ren*va. 84 rolls for 19.99 delivered.
  • Just totted up my numbers. Was a little nervous as I had a mini service/oil change on the 1st, had bought a Barbour jacket and John Rochet boots from fleabay, had a facial and a hair colour (at the local college) and bought D*minis pizza for starving teenagers one evening ( using my NHS discount). That along with all my spends totals £401, and it's the middle of the month tomorrow (glad it's a short month). My month started off expensive, so if I can get through this weekend (visiting my daughter at uni, and buying lunch I presume) without going crazy I should be okay. Valentine's won't cost anything because we just split up!!!55357;!!!56838;, but unfortunately I bought a card.
    Hoping to come in under budget for Feb.
  • Evening everyone. I hope you are all still well. I am very excited to say I have paid off my first credit card yesterday and started on the second (and last) one. My frugalness is spurred on by all of you so thank you so much for your help and inspiring posts. £1642 paid off in just over a month, with thanks from the tax rebate in January's wage. Thanks again everyone. Debt free is now looking 100% possible this year x
    CC2-Total paid in March £1560.12/ Max credit card amount £6747.03/ £5098 to go!
  • Good morning all!

Haven’t posted much but I’ve been away visiting family. Sounds like it should be frugal but never is once you’ve paid fuel costs and of course, for a family meal out! I don’t often see them, so it’s nice to spoil them a little bit!

This month is slightly better than last, though youngest son has needed help with life problems at college....so money, in other words!

As I said last month, I’ve discovered January and February are my super expensive months, so I now know I have to start savings from March incorporating this knowledge! Funnily enough the food shopping is frugal so am doing well with that at least!

Loving reading your stories and inspiring thoughts and ideas!

Fizzyisbusy !!!128522;
  • Frugaldom
    evuka - the 6 month supply of loo roll is from Amaz*n,. It's recycled from Ren*va. 84 rolls for 19.99 delivered.

That's a good price for loo rolls. I often watch out for the deals in the local shops and try to keep to under 25p per decent roll, plus keep a pack of the cheap stuff for emergencies. I usually buy through Groupon via topcashback but we have a £5 off £20 spend for Wowcher, so may stock up from there.

Spudsmum, play about wih the recipe for the laundry stuff until you get a consistency you like. If you end o do cool washes, run a hot wash through the machine every so often to keep all the pipes clear. I used to put the gloop in tha machine in one of the free landry balls but now just dissolve it in enough warm water to pour it into the drawer as liquid.

Sinkorswim, sorry to hear about the break up, it's never a good time but just before Valentine's day can't be easy.

Little Ginger Fox :beer::j:T Well done!

• Frugaldom
    On the topic of greeting cards and the eternal quest for zero waste, I opt for paper free whenever possible and never send B/day or Christmas cards. Some folks think I'm some sort of tree hugger, others think I'm mean and miserable, but nobody saves every card forever, so they ultimately end up binned, burned, buried or otherwise. For really special occasions I would make a personalised card. :)

This is in keeping with my own challenge budget, so please don't think it is any sort of criticism of those who choose to buy. Our spending is what keeps society ticking and people in jobs, after all. :)

• Frugaldom
    Apologies to anyone who dislikes me adding links, please just ask me to remove this rather than report me, if you feel it inappropriate. This is a link to a very old blog post covering all the homemade cleaning products that we've challenged ourselves to use as part of this challenge - homemade laundry and cleaning products

• why the heck would anyone mind you adding links??????????

The boards have been well weird lately.

The rabbits both need dentals and the Guinea pig had an op. Emergency fund has all but gone.

My brother in law is seriously ill. Everything here sucks (and I know you shouldn't say that but that is it)
    Nevertheless she persisted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport