PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Pro Rata'd Rent in February

Hi,

I have just moved out of a rented flat in England where my rent period ran from the 2nd of the month to the first of the next month.

I paid my full month rent on the 2nd February to cover the period 2nd February to the 1st of March. My last day of tenancy was the 5th February so in my mind, I stayed for 4 days (2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th).

My rent was £1250 pcm so by my reckoning, the daily rent is (1250*12)/365 = £41.10 per day.

In this case, as I stayed for 4 extra days, the agent owes me £1250-(£41.10*4) = £1086.60.

The agents are however using a different calculation in that they are saying that they are reimbursing me for days not stayed in the flat so the 6th February through to the 1st March inclusive (24 days) so they say they owe me £986.40.

I feel I am being punished here for having moved out in a short month. I know this is all about £100 but the agents have behaved disgracefully since we moved out - not allowing us to attend check out, carrying out repainting without quotes and only using their "preferred contractors". They even recommended a cleaning company to me who quoted £200 to clean an empty flat (I carried this out myself to their standards in 5 hours!!). Not only that, they tried to charge me £20 for a door stop which they recorded on our check in over 4 years ago as damaged - you can buy a brand new version of this for £1.28 on Amazon!)

Should I pursue them for the £1086.60 or just accept the £986.40 that they have offered?

Thanks,

John

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bradshawj wrote: »
    Hi,

I have just moved out of a rented flat in England where my rent period ran from the 2nd of the month to the first of the next month.

I paid my full month rent on the 2nd February to cover the period 2nd February to the 1st of March. My last day of tenancy was the 5th February so in my mind, I stayed for 4 days (2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th).

My rent was £1250 pcm so by my reckoning, the daily rent is (1250*12)/365 = £41.10 per day.

In this case, as I stayed for 4 extra days, the agent owes me £1250-(£41.10*4) = £1086.60.

The agents are however using a different calculation in that they are saying that they are reimbursing me for days not stayed in the flat so the 6th February through to the 1st March inclusive (24 days) so they say they owe me £986.40.

I feel I am being punished here for having moved out in a short month. I know this is all about £100 but the agents have behaved disgracefully since we moved out - not allowing us to attend check out, carrying out repainting without quotes and only using their "preferred contractors". They even recommended a cleaning company to me who quoted £200 to clean an empty flat (I carried this out myself to their standards in 5 hours!!). Not only that, they tried to charge me £20 for a door stop which they recorded on our check in over 4 years ago as damaged - you can buy a brand new version of this for £1.28 on Amazon!)

Should I pursue them for the £1086.60 or just accept the £986.40 that they have offered?

Thanks,

John
    What is the reason you are moving out, typically you pay rent for the full term, and are owed no refund.

But there are exceptions, without knowing the circumstances it's difficult to discover your legal position.

- in short, cause too much fuss now and you may get nothing.
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply. We just bought a house and have been looking for some time, We kept the agent in the loop on this and agreed a 2 month rolling notice.

When we gave notice, the agent asked if we could move out early as they had a tenant keen to take the flat so we agreed - even though this means we are living with builders at the moment!!

The date of the 5th of February was agreed between us.
  • Comms69
    In writing? Typically this is something that would be agreed as part of any surrender.

Surely their calculation doesn't work for a simple reason. They're using an annual day figure, to calculate a short monthly day rate

To counter: £1250 /28 * 24 = 1071
  • Yep, via email.

It was an oversight on my part that I didn't cancel the DD that went through on the 2nd February - just too busy sorting the new place I guess.

As they had been so reasonable for 4 years, I didn't negotiate the exit as well as I should have but lesson learnt!

The £1071 is an interesting argument though!

Thanks
  • Comms69
    Yep, via email.

It was an oversight on my part that I didn't cancel the DD that went through on the 2nd February - just too busy sorting the new place I guess.

As they had been so reasonable for 4 years, I didn't negotiate the exit as well as I should have but lesson learnt!

The £1071 is an interesting argument though!

Thanks
    It seemed the simplest way to work it out.
  • I think you are probably right in your calculations... I would definitely question the estate agents math...

However I see you have two issues, 1. You probably don't have it in writing the amount you pay, the issue is as its an early surrender by agreement of the agent (I know they asked for it but it makes no difference), then technically they can use their calculation. issue 2. You have already paid, if you had not then you would have leverage and it would be up to them to try and either prove there calculation is the correct calculation and claim from the deposit or go to court...

I feel for you as I think you are morally right, however it costs money to go to small claims court, the time, cost and hassle of going through this with I would say only a slim chance of winning is really not worth it...

I would definitely challenge them and send a few letters etc, make a bit of nuisance of yourself but ultimately you may have to put this down to experience...

As a landlord I get this all the time, a prime example is tenants giving utility companies wrong readings at the end of tenancy to save them money, I always take readings at the end of the tenancy, offer for them to check and get them to sign to confirm they are the correct readings... Get it all in writing to avoid doubt.
  • Freecall
    Freecall Posts: 1,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post

So, if you stay for 27 days of February the agent would owe you £1250-(£41.10*27) = £140.30 for not staying that extra day.

Pull the other one!
  • Comms69
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    I think you are probably right in your calculations... I would definitely question the estate agents math...

However I see you have two issues, 1. You probably don't have it in writing the amount you pay, the issue is as its an early surrender by agreement of the agent (I know they asked for it but it makes no difference), then technically they can use their calculation. issue 2. You have already paid, if you had not then you would have leverage and it would be up to them to try and either prove there calculation is the correct calculation and claim from the deposit or go to court...

I feel for you as I think you are morally right, however it costs money to go to small claims court, the time, cost and hassle of going through this with I would say only a slim chance of winning is really not worth it...

I would definitely challenge them and send a few letters etc, make a bit of nuisance of yourself but ultimately you may have to put this down to experience...

As a landlord I get this all the time, a prime example is tenants giving utility companies wrong readings at the end of tenancy to save them money, I always take readings at the end of the tenancy, offer for them to check and get them to sign to confirm they are the correct readings... Get it all in writing to avoid doubt.

Ofcourse they have no obligation to sign it, but I think it is a sensible idea
  • Freecall wrote: »
    So, if you stay for 27 days of February the agent would owe you £1250-(£41.10*27) = £140.30 for not staying that extra day.

Pull the other one!

Take your point, but if this had been January and had stayed 30 days, would I be happy getting1250- (30*41.1)= £17??

It seems the agent are using the £15000/365 figure when they choose to and the actual daily February rate of 1250/28 when it suits.
  • Comms69 wrote: »
    Ofcourse they have no obligation to sign it, but I think it is a sensible idea

This is true, never had anyone refuse but if they did it would ring alarm bells and I would ask for someone neutral to check the readings and sign, take a photo with a newspaper from that date in it and probably ask the letting agent to come out and verify the readings. That combined would be enough for the utility companies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure