PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Offer from non proceedable buyer

Kittenonthekeys
Kittenonthekeys Posts: 314 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 13 February 2018 at 2:41PM in House buying, renting & selling
We've just had a full asking price offer from a buyer who has had their London property on the market for a very short time (and only needs a small mortgage) but it has already had interest, although no offers as yet.
In the meantime, the sensible option seems to be to keep our own property open to other viewings.
However, would it be irregular (or foolhardy) to not allow further viewings on our property, for say 2 weeks, just to allow this buyer a little exclusivity and get their own property sold? The main reason is that I feel this buyer is genuine, seems easy going and they have after all offered full asking with no negotiation at all.
Any thoughts please? What would you do?

Comments

• Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm not a fan of making offers before having a buyer for an existing property that needs to be sold.

What happens when the price expectations for the existing property being sold turn out to be overly optimistic.

I would be tempted to almost ignore the offer you have been made, continue with other viewings on your own and see what happens. If their house in London gets an offer that's the time to talk in greater detail.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Keep house on market, allow viewings. Old saying "many a slip twixt cup and lip", their house may not sell as quickly as expected.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Keep the house on the market they might not get a buyer.
  • Fed
    Fed Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What do you have to lose by keeping it on the market? If you like the buyer and are happy with the offer then you can get the EA to relay that but as they aren't proceedable you aren't willing to take it off the market at that price. They've no real reason to walk away and it puts more pressure on them to get things moving.
  • Thank you all, I had a feeling that one might be a resounding "keep it on the market!" Makes sense anyway!
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My property isn't even on the market yet, but I'll offer you over the asking price. I'm totally genuine and super easy too, so reckon about a month's exclusivity is all I need....

Entertain this bloke and you've got to give me a look in too...

Suggest whatever your reaction is to my offer should be the same response as you give him. Keep it on the market until someone comes forward who's in a position to proceed. Neither of us are.
  • ReadingTim - the person didn't ask for any concessions or exclusivity; it was just something that occurred to me afterwards, so I was interested to hear people's opinions and/or if anyone had actually done something like this. I wont be doing it.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The main reason is that I feel this buyer is genuine, seems easy going and they have after all offered full asking with no negotiation at all.

Appearances can be deceptive. Unwise to drop your guard. Until the i's are dotted and t's crossed.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You can ask your EA to reply to the buyer in a very positive way - if you want. (Although, TBH, most good EAs would do this anyway), something like...

You're happy with the offer amount, but as the buyer isn't proceedable yet, you'll have to leave your own property on the market. If you get another offer, you'll check back to see if this buyer has become proceedable before accepting it.

(And bear in mind that your description of the buyer makes them sound a little impulsive. They may still be looking at other properties, and impulsively decide that they like another one more than they like yours!)
  • Kittenonthekeys
    Kittenonthekeys Posts: 314 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 February 2018 at 6:57PM
    Thanks eddddy. The agent has already done that.
    History is repeating itself, as we also offered on this house impulsively in exactly the same way they did, and ended up buying it.
    In fact while we were buying this house, the first sale of our property fell through and the then-vendor gave us 4 weeks grace to find another buyer - which we did. We hadn't asked them to do that, and were very grateful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure