Good ways to screen buyers

2»

Comments

• I wouldnt be impressed with you emailing me about my purchase.

If your selling a lot surely 2 issues with buyers over a year should not be an issue?

Why? If you haven’t read a listing and it turns up flawed would you be happy if you hadn’t seen it was flawed and then have to pay postage to return it?

Not one of my customers are unhappy at me doing this. I only have about two not as described a year because I have reduced masses more by checking first. I used to get more until I made sure people had read listing first. Some ask me to cancel when I get them to read listing so that’s one return less .

I got this email just over a week ago “Hi there
    Thank you for being so honest.
    Can you please ignore my previous email were i said i was happy to have it.
    After seing this email i would like to cancel please if i may.

I just looked at your reviews and you have excelent ratings, i am not surprised your honesty and customer service is excelente
    Thank you
    I think these days is rare to find many people like you

So may i cancel and have a refund please
    Regards “

And that’s generally how people respond. It’s weird getting annoyed at someone checking to save you money and hassle.
    If you don’t like a thread or post just move on by.

Never a need to be ugly
  • Moogles44 wrote: »
    Why? If you haven’t read a listing and it turns up flawed would you be happy if you hadn’t seen it was flawed and then have to pay postage to return it?

Not one of my customers are unhappy at me doing this. I only have about two not as described a year because I have reduced masses more by checking first. I used to get more until I made sure people had read listing first. Some ask me to cancel when I get them to read listing so that’s one return less .

I got this email just over a week ago “Hi there
    Thank you for being so honest.
    Can you please ignore my previous email were i said i was happy to have it.
    After seing this email i would like to cancel please if i may.

I just looked at your reviews and you have excelent ratings, i am not surprised your honesty and customer service is excelente
    Thank you
    I think these days is rare to find many people like you

So may i cancel and have a refund please
    Regards “

And that’s generally how people respond. It’s weird getting annoyed at someone checking to save you money and hassle.

I bid on one of your "flawed" items. I pay and then you message me. But, I don't respond. What do you do then?

If you don't send it to me I will file INR.

If you are late either me or eBay will give you a late mark.

If you cancel I will leave you a negative.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I bid on one of your "flawed" items. I pay and then you message me. But, I don't respond. What do you do then?

Quite - there have been occasions where I've e-mailed someone to clarify something about their purchase (usually where the message they have sent with their payment makes no sense at all) and haven't received a reply. I send a polite chaser a few days later saying that to avoid delay I will send by xxx date if I don't hear from them. The response rate if about 50%.

But I guess if you've got masses of spare time and need to find a way to fill it, trying to talk your purchasers out of what they've just bought is as good a way as any!
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    The description is all the buyer has to go on. Make sure that the description is correct and comprehensive enough for your buyers. Emailing buyers asking them to confirm that they have read the description is irrelevant. It will also make buyers nervous of you as a seller.
  • 'You've bought my item. Just checking you are literate enough to have read the description. Would you like to change your mind now you've paid? I don't mind losing the 20p paypal fee.'

I'd feel I was being patronised if I got a message which implied the above. If you're that bothered, why not stick a warning under the bit about instructions for payment alerting them to the fact it isn't a perfect item and please re-read the description before proceeding to payment.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Dox wrote: »
    But I guess if you've got masses of spare time and need to find a way to fill it, trying to talk your purchasers out of what they've just bought is as good a way as any!
    :rotfl:

It does sound like Moogles knows what they're doing. Some types of products do have different ways to be sold so maybe they know their market.

I'm open to learn something new. In my many selling guises, online and offline I've always found that the less you ask of a buyer (especially after they've agreed to buy, apart from "How are you paying?") the better.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Moogles44 wrote: »
    Why? If you haven’t read a listing and it turns up flawed would you be happy .
    If you had spares or repair or something similar in the title, yes I would. If you had hidden this deep in the text no I wouldn't.

If the condition is clearly stated there should be no need to email to double check.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure