Help with buying a laptop

Need to replace my battered 7 year old Dell Inspiron before it packs up altogether.
A friend adviced me to go for i5 and 8 GB for long lasting service. He also recommended the Lenovo brand. But in the last few days most of the laptops I had shortlisted have gone up in price. My friend also changed his advice on Lenovo after learning they have some problems.
At the same time, I have found some very good options in refurbished laptops. I have read they are well tested and a good option.
I was ready to go for a HP with https://maximumcomputers.co.uk/ which have very good reviews in Trust Pilot. But I noticed https://www.mycheaplaptop.co.uk which do NOT have good reviews, say “Microsoft Authorized Refurbished”. Is that an assurance you MUST look for?
I would be grateful for any pointers since the more I research the more confused I am.
My budget is not strict. I am prepared to spend up to around 500 pounds for the right choice, but if I can get the same service for less money I’d rather go for that option.
I use mostly Word and do quite a bit of research online but I do not need graphics. Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nikiya wrote: »
    Need to replace my battered 7 year old Dell Inspiron before it packs up altogether.
    A friend adviced me to go for i5 and 8 GB for long lasting service.

Let your friend know about an SSD :)
    https://youtu.be/O4ykrNhI5xk?t=27s

Option 1)
    Get an SSD to replace with your Dell Insprion hard disk.

Crucial MX500 250GB SSD (5 year warranty)

Practically your 7 years old Insprion with an SSD would be faster than a brand new i5 hard disk computer.

Option 2) If you still want to get a newer notebook, then get a decent refurbished Business notebook (Dell Latitude, HP EliteBook, Lenovo ThinkPad)

Ask your friend to pick up your notebook from there ?
    https://www.encore-pc.co.uk/laptops/windows-laptops

As you have a budget, I suggest to upgrade from 160GB hard disk to Crucial MX500 SSD by yourself, (i.e. your friend)

Now 2018, Stop buying hard disk computers(60 years old technology!

Happy Happy SSD computing :)
  • Nikiya
    Nikiya Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 February 2018 at 4:13PM
    Regarding the Lenovo Ballyblack published, I had found it a few days ago at less than 400 pounds. It went up around 25% as I mentioned. Or more, I do not remember the exact price.
    Toshi: My friend knows about SSD but he's heard Lenovo screens are not performing well.
    Your option of renewing the disk is tempting, but how about the processor? This one has an Intel celeron...
    Besides, I should also renew the battery!
    The laptop I had picked from Maximum was a HP EliteBook.
  • toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nikiya wrote: »

Toshi: My friend knows about SSD but he's heard Lenovo screens are not performing well.
    Your option of renewing the disk is tempting, but how about the processor? This one has an Intel celeron...
    Besides, I should also renew the battery!
    The laptop I had picked from Maximum was a HP EliteBook.

You (and your friend) is a type of person to want to spend some time and have some hands on DIY experience with your computer ? I hope you are, then what I would suggest to get an SSD for your Insprion. Test by yourself.

A) If you are happy about performance, get a battery as well. You can keep using it.

B) Even you decided to get a newer computer, probably you may want to keep the SSD Insprion as a backup. Get a refurbished business grade notebook like Dell latitude, and another SSD

C) With some reason, you don't want to keep your Insprion, Get a refurbished business grade notebook like Dell latitude, then reuse the SSD for a newer machine.

It is really up to you. but I would start from A?

Happy SSD computing :)
  • bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2018 at 1:13AM
    what aspect of the battery it has received is affecting the use of Word or a web browser

re-install it, and (if it is really needed), buy a new battery
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Ballyblack !!!!

You didnt just link to / suggest pc world did you ???!!!!

Go and sit in the corner ..

OP , anyone can say "Microsoft Authorized Refurbished" but there is no such thing .
    Microsoft didnt make these machines - avoid this misleading seller
  • AndyPix wrote: »
    Ballyblack !!!!

You didnt just link to / suggest pc world did you ???!!!!

Go and sit in the corner ..

OP , anyone can say "Microsoft Authorized Refurbished" but there is no such thing .

Afraid there is such a scheme: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/refurbishedpcs
  • OP - Anything with an i5, 8Gb+ of RAM and a 256Gb+ SSD should see you well for a number of years. I would not fixate on the screen too much in this price bracket. There are a few different types of panel out there, some better than others, but then it's like comparing a £500 TV to a £2000 TV. Just find something that does the resolution you like. Personally I like higher resolution screens so everything is smaller and I can get more on screen. Other people complain and say they can't see anything so lower the resolution and would have been better off with a cheaper panel in the first place.

Have you been to any shops just to get a feel for the size and form factor you like? Even to look at the screens. I think this really helps narrow down the choices. Sometimes I get a shock when I see how large and bulky some of them are or even how flimsy some of the smaller ones are.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 February 2018 at 12:44PM
    Afraid there is such a scheme: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/refurbishedpcs

Perhaps i should have been clearer ..

OP , anyone can say "Microsoft Authorized Refurbished" but there is no such thing for laptops,
    as

Incase you didnt notice - the retailer in question does NOT sell any microsoft hardware, so how do microsoft authorise them to refurb other peoples products :huh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure