Cutting Down Alcohol Thread

Comments

• katep23
    katep23 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 May 2018 at 7:42AM
    Hi all, may I join you? OH and I discussed our drinking at the weekend and decided we want to stop for the foreseeable future. First day was yesterday and I am aiming to be AF for the remainder of the month so 17 days (I think!)
    It is such a difference when drinking is mindful and planned. Will have to try and remember this.

This really resonated with me, thank you.
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    maman wrote: »
    I'm sure Golden Oldies will think of this!:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8zI5xjwKYw

I do! I used to find my mother doing secret dancing in the kitchen to this song, and she was a very staid lady so it was especially wonderful to be reminded of her. Thank you so much, Maman!
    katep23 wrote: »
    Hi all, may I join you? OH and I discussed our drinking at the weekend and decided we want to stop for the foreseeable future. First day was yesterday and I am aiming to be AF for the remainder of the month so 17 days (I think!)

Welcome, Katep! :wave: Good luck with it.

16/31 please, Baileys.
    Better is good enough.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    14/27 please Baileys
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • katep23
    katep23 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Honey_Bear wrote: »

Thank you.
    I think a lot of our drinking is more habit than anything else, and if we can break the habit life becomes much simpler.

This also struck a chord with me, will read through the thread over time.
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Aww thank you guys for the encouragement. It really does mean a lot... I did get some funny looks and people seemed shocked and aghast when I declined offers for drinks.
    Well done on resisting the best efforts of some who think that everyone should always have a drink - it's a form of bullying to insist that people drink but for some reason it's considered socially acceptable.

I'd never noticed before Sunday how keen others were to get a drink in my hand. It was definitely eye opening...

Fatrab non alcoholic beer sounds pretty gross! I read a book recently and it was talking about how we basically condition ourselves over time to become accustomed to the taste of alcohol but really if you were to strip back to your first drink you'd need to be forcing it down. I can kind of see where it's coming from... I do think a nice cold glass of white wine would go down well, but that's purely just for the perceived effect it has on me, not the taste! Will not be dabbling with any low/ no alcohol alcoholic drinks. Soda water and orange squash is my tipple now :rotfl:
    I think a lot of our drinking is more habit than anything else, and if we can break the habit life becomes much simpler.

Definitely resonating with me as well... I was so used to a glass (but never really just a glass) of wine after work. Now I've stopped I don't find I miss it or need to replace it with anything. I'm just getting on with my day then sleeping earlier than before.

Hello katep23 :) Nice that you and your OH are doing it together. I need to get my OH on board.. He's a heavy drinker at the moment and I'm quite worried about him/ his health. It's the same as with debt busting though, you can't make someone have a lightbulb moment. Just hope he sees sense sooner rather than later!

16/31
    today for me :cool: Looking forward to those cute wee penguins!
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hello everyone. On 8/18.

I'm in a pub today and tomorrow for meetings. Will aim to make one of those alcohol free. Probably tomorrow as they do better tea in that one.
    Back in debt again, but for a good cause. £17K to go

April Grocery Challenge: £198.36/200

Decluttering 852/2024 Awards 🥇
    (18/04/24)
  • Baileysonice
    Baileysonice Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Post Stoptober Survivor
    katep23 wrote: »

welcome katiep23 lovely to "meet" you. :j I have added you to the list so have a quick check its right :)
    14/27 please Baileys
    well done dia cute penguins have arrived just for you :) xx
    lonelyrat wrote: »
    16/31[/COLOR][/B] today for me :cool: Looking forward to those cute wee penguins!

They are all yours lonelyrat and congratulations :j:j:j
  • Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good morning everyone,
    8 please Baileys
    Arkers x
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

And so say all of us!!:D

I agree that it will help you a lot to have your DH on board. When I started cutting back my DH was drinking beer so I wasn't tempted at all. He's back on the wine/spirits now but it really doesn't bother me. He does drink most days but in moderation. Still probably a bit too much but I don't nag him about it. I think me being AF during the week makes him a little uncomfortable but that's his problem! :)

8/10 AFDs please Baileys.
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Welcome katep23 :hello:

9/14 for today please Baileys
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income