PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

In need of advice please: Looking to buy a house between Leicester and East London (Barking)

Options
The-Nomadic-Thespian
The-Nomadic-Thespian Posts: 8 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 15 May 2018 at 10:44AM in House buying, renting & selling
Dear MSE Forumites

I’m an FTB, I’m single on a salary of 32k and have savings amounting 150k. I wanted to ask fellow forumerites a few questions to aid me in my quest to get on the housing ladder.

1. With what I’ve detailed above, what price range should I be looking at for houses (not interested in buying anything else). I’m thinking houses priced up to range of 300k?

2. I have family both in Leicester and East London (Barking area) that I would need to regularly commute to once or twice a week. Therefore, I am looking for areas in between the two areas mentioned to make purchase. Now having lived in East London all my life, I’m rather clueless as to what areas I should look at that are decent and what areas to avoid. I would like a bit of greenery and areas that are preferably multicultural. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you all in kind.

Comments

• TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have to go to a workplace every day? If you do, you should take this into account.

Will you be travelling to Leicester and Romford by train or car?

What size house do you want/need?
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Romford is not in SE London!
  • The-Nomadic-Thespian
    Options
    TheBanker wrote: »
    Do you have to go to a workplace every day? If you do, you should take this into account.

Will you be travelling to Leicester and Romford by train or car?

What size house do you want/need?

Hello! I intend to travel between the two areas by car, but would like good commuter links to London as I work there.

Being single, I'm I ideally am looking, as minimum, a 2 bed house.

Thanks!
  • The-Nomadic-Thespian
    Options
    noh wrote: »
    Romford is not in SE London!

I'm a dunce. Have corrected!
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm a dunce. Have corrected!

Nor is Barking in SE London.

Both it and Romford are East London.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The obvious answer is the N London/Herts/Bucks/Beds corridor up the lower end of the M1/M40/A1. Lots of daily rail commuters into London, no need to go round/through London to head to Leicester. As you move outwards, rail fares go up, house prices go down.

MK/Watford/Chesham/Wycombe/Aylesbury/Bedford/Newport Pagnell/Stevenage/Luton would be the first thoughts to start searching around.
  • The-Nomadic-Thespian
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    The obvious answer is the N London/Herts/Bucks/Beds corridor up the lower end of the M1/M40/A1. Lots of daily rail commuters into London, no need to go round/through London to head to Leicester. As you move outwards, rail fares go up, house prices go down.

MK/Watford/Chesham/Wycombe/Aylesbury/Bedford/Newport Pagnell/Stevenage/Luton would be the first thoughts to start searching around.

Will be grateful if someone can give insight as to which areas are good and which to avoid. I haven't heard great things about MK and Luton. Also, given the budget, is it worth looking at houses that are priced around £325k?

Much obliged.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you're going to have to go and start looking. RM at first, to see what's in your budget, but there's really no substitute for actually going to towns.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure