PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why aren't properties advertised with all the key facts?

Comments

• dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Sorry, my current country uses imperial units. I usually remember to switch to UK equivalent terms but forgot this time!

I still use imperial units after 25 years in the States. Fahrenheit, pounds, feet and inches, etc. I figure it helps others to exercise their mental agility.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2018 at 6:28PM
    dunroving wrote: »
    Square metres x 10. [approx.]

I wondered what on earth that comment was about. People are entitled to operate in whichever set of measurements they wish.

Me - I operate in feet and there is a very handy "gadget" online (ie google "online calculator" and I've not bothered to buy a new calculator now that I've discovered that one).

Though I'll admit my main use for that "gadget" tends to be when someone describes the weight of someone in kilogrammes. At which point - out comes the calculator and I convert to lbs, then divide the lbs by 14 and think "Oh yes they are, for instance 11-12 stones and will be describing themselves as size 14 - but are actually size 18 (ie if clothes weren't all vanity-sized these days). Gotcha now - I know what the article means".
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    People are entitled to operate in whichever set of measurements they wish.
    ...and that's why this country is such a godawful half-cocked messed-up mixture when it comes to units.

Apart from the UK, the entire world uses metric. Except one country.
    That one country uses units with the same name as "ours", but some of which are a different size. They use different non-metric units for other things.

The UK's original 10yr programme to complete metrication came to the end of its time over 40 years ago - and here we still are... I can never remember whether it's 14 ounces in a pound and 16 pounds in a stone, or vice versa. And I really don't see why I should care, tbh, since they're both ridiculous divisions, and to have two inter-related units using similar-but-different divisions is utterly crazy.
  • dunroving
    AdrianC wrote: »
    ...and that's why this country is such a godawful half-cocked messed-up mixture when it comes to units.

Apart from the UK, the entire world uses metric. Except one country.
    That one country uses units with the same name as "ours", but some of which are a different size. They use different non-metric units for other things.

The UK's original 10yr programme to complete metrication came to the end of its time over 40 years ago - and here we still are... I can never remember whether it's 14 ounces in a pound and 16 pounds in a stone, or vice versa. And I really don't see why I should care, tbh, since they're both ridiculous divisions, and to have two inter-related units using similar-but-different divisions is utterly crazy.

I think you will find the US uses imperial. They even still record their track and field records (sorry, athletics) in feet and inches. Living there since the 80s allowed me to stay in an imperial bubble, until I returned to the UK.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    If you'd read on just three words after the bit you emboldened...
  • dunroving
    I interpreted it as meaning the one country was the UK.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The concept of buyer beware also applies to buying services, such as paying an EA to market the most valuable asset I own. When I sell a property I'm inclined to avoid those EAs who routinely produce shoddy, unprofessional listings which don't convey the basic information a potential buyer would be interested in.

In which case you are utilising your free market right to spend more money purchasing a higher quality product. Will you get a better return on the money you spend? Who knows. Your purchaser might not care a jot about glossy EA presentations and only be interested in the price and getting their own surveys done.

Forcing everyone to get a grade A+++ EA service will result in people having to pay more, without any gain for them.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • kylej64
    kylej64 Posts: 15 Forumite
    I have recently accepted an offer on my flat.

I made sure they used floor plans, stated it was leasehold and stated what floor it was on.

While not on the add I told them (and they noted down) the remaining length of least as well as ground rent and maintenance fees so they could answer the obvious questions that would arise (though forgot to mention the council tax band or I would have mentioned that too). I always intended to tell them that but they asked first :T. That confirmed to me that I had chosen the right EA. Seems easier to me to put a few people off if it gets you an easier sale.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,475 Forumite
    We went to look at a property about 6 weeks ago - we did a drive by ahead of booking a viewing.

Beautiful end terrace with big garden, freehold, 2 parking spaces but room to make a 3rd. In a very rural area. Advert on Rightmove suggested room to extend - I spoke to the agent etc and agreed to call back on the Tuesday to book a viewing (it was easter weekend and I called on the Saturday as it went on on the Friday)

On the Tuesday the price dropped from £250,000 to £185,000 suddenly had an open day for the following Saturday and was shared ownership with a 74 % share - the other 26% owned by the Parish Council. It was advertised as a "Reduced Today" property.

It needed work - windows/doors/some attention to the roof/ heating system. The PC would have had to contribute towards those things, i expect and there would have been no chance to own 100% or buy the freehold (Parish councils keep their properties when they are built in conjunction with them)

The advert (even when updated) failed to say that it has a S106 on it that applicants had to have a local connection. It is currently still missing from the Rightmove advert. We found out via another advert on English Rural who are also advertising it.

Complete farce of an advert. Very lucky we didn't both with the official viewing as we could quite easily have pictured living there.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    dunroving wrote: »
    It is frustrating that basic information such as a floor plan aren't provided.

Often an extra that the vendor pays for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure