Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deeply_Stressed
    • By deeply_Stressed 30th Mar 17, 11:55 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    deeply_Stressed
    CIFAS - Insurance Claims Fraud
    • 30th Mar 17, 11:55 PM
    CIFAS - Insurance Claims Fraud 30th Mar 17 at 11:55 PM
    Hello All
    I am wondering if anyone can help me.

I dropped my laptop from my hand and made a claim with insurance company, I did not pursure it. After a few months, the policy got expired. I shopped around and got new home and contents policy from another provider. After a few months of getting the policy from new provider, I tried to fix the laptop myself, however it fell again, the damage got worse, I made the claim to new provider. As part of claim processing, they did some background checks, and found out about previous claim, and becasue the damage and description of the claim were almost same, they thought I am trying to claim for something which is prior to their policy start date. Subsequentl, they refused my claim, cancelled my home and contents insurance policy.

I made a complaint against them and asked them to review it. They reviewed the case, however did not change the decision. I was given 6 month to go to FOS to excalate it.

Meanwhile, I requested a copy of all of my details from Insurance company to see what data they hold against me. I reviewed it thoroughly and did not find any mention of CIFAS. I took it lightly ( my misstake, please don't bash me for this as I am already very depressed) and did not take any action.

I did not go to FOS within 6 months due to personal circumstances. After 6 months, I renewed my Car Insurance which got cancelled as they found out that there was a CIFAS warning (Insurance Claims Fraud) against my name. (I, myself, also knew it at that time). I went back to FOS and requested them to consider my case, which they simply refused as I was outside 6 month's window.

Now I am depply depressed ( to the extent that I am getting treatment for my depression)

Now my questions are.

1- How can I have CIFAS marker removed against my name.

2- Is the insurance company bound to inform me, if they were to share my details with CIFAS.

3- If the insrance company has shared my details with CIFAS, then why did not they give me this information at the time when I asked them to send all the information they hold against me. and can I held them accountable of not sending me these details when I asked my detals from tham.

4- I have mortgage, several credit cards and many other credits (my credit score had always been excellent), however these were all taken before this warning. Is there any possibliity that having my name in CIFAS could close any of these accounts.

5- I have one year left on my fixed term deal on mortgage, would I be able to shop around and get new mortgage deal while having my name on CIFAS.

6- What other adverse affect could this hold against me.

Please help me with these questions. I am deeeply depressed..
Page 1
    • SeanG79
    • By SeanG79 31st Mar 17, 11:05 AM
    • 866 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    SeanG79
    • 31st Mar 17, 11:05 AM
    • 31st Mar 17, 11:05 AM
    1. It looks like insurance fraud because of the previous dropped claim. Suspicion would be that perhaps the excess was lower with new provider or you never had the funds for the initial excess, etc.
    2. No
    3. May have been shared after your SAR?
    4. Unlikely to close the accounts
    5. Depends on how the mortgage provider views the CIFAS warning. Supposedly a CIFAS marker should not result in a decline, but rather make the lender investigate further or ask more info. In reality, some lenders simply decline.
    6. Likely to impact on other insurance (how are you currently insuring your vehicle?) and credit applications.

You say you tried to repair the laptop yourself, have you got receipts for parts to prove this?
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 31st Mar 17, 1:24 PM
    • 2,902 Posts
    • 2,233 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 31st Mar 17, 1:24 PM
    • 31st Mar 17, 1:24 PM

1- How can I have CIFAS marker removed against my name.
    Originally posted by deeply_Stressed
    You can't - only the company who placed it on the CIFAS register can remove it. Otherwise it remains for the next 6 years.

2- Is the insurance company bound to inform me, if they were to share my details with CIFAS.
    No.

3- If the insrance company has shared my details with CIFAS, then why did not they give me this information at the time when I asked them to send all the information they hold against me. and can I held them accountable of not sending me these details when I asked my detals from tham.
    No. You would have needed to have sent a subject access request to CIFAS.

Credit files at Experian, Equifax and Calllcredit only have Cifas Protective Registration and Victim of Impersonation markers on them. If you want to know whether there is an application fraud, identity fraud, first party fraud or insurance fraud Cifas marker against you, you can only find this out by submitting a Data Protection Act Subject Access Request to Cifas itself. See their website for details and the necessary form. You will be charged the statutory fee of 10.

You could also have a fraud marker on National Hunter or Synectics. N. Hunter Ltd supply these markers to them. Again these are not on your credit file. You have to apply to N. Hunter Ltd for Subject Access to find out if a fraud marker is present.

4- I have mortgage, several credit cards and many other credits (my credit score had always been excellent), however these were all taken before this warning. Is there any possibliity that having my name in CIFAS could close any of these accounts.
    Yes, a strong possibility. Some examples below:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5210201
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5409122

A lot of banks and credit card companies nowadays operate on monthly feeds from the credit reference agency to see how you are running your account and chances are they'll likely close your accounts once they find out about the CIFAS marker.

5- I have one year left on my fixed term deal on mortgage, would I be able to shop around and get new mortgage deal while having my name on CIFAS.
    Good luck with that. I've not known anyone who has been able to get ANY form of credit in the 6 years they've had a CIFAS marker.

6- What other adverse affect could this hold against me.
    You won't be able to drive (no car insurance company is going to insure you, there are perhaps 1 or 2 but their prices will be astronomical.) You won't be able to take out any form of credit or open any new accounts including basic bank accounts for the next 6 years. You run the risk of your current banks/cards facilities being withdrawn.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • deeply_Stressed
    • By deeply_Stressed 31st Mar 17, 11:02 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    deeply_Stressed
    • 31st Mar 17, 11:02 PM
    • 31st Mar 17, 11:02 PM
    Hi SeanG
    Thanks for your reply. Please see response below

1. It looks like insurance fraud because of the previous dropped claim. Suspicion would be that perhaps the excess was lower with new provider or you never had the funds for the initial excess, etc.

I explained them that I voluntarily withdrew
    2. No
    OK, Thanks
    3. May have been shared after your SAR?
    OK, Thanks

4. Unlikely to close the accounts
    OK, Thanks

5. Depends on how the mortgage provider views the CIFAS warning. Supposedly a CIFAS marker should not result in a decline, but rather make the lender investigate further or ask more info. In reality, some lenders simply decline.

This is my biggest worry at the time as I have only 1 year left on my current deal and after that if I dont get a new deal then I will go to a very high rate for next 4-5 years which is poltentially a loss of 20-30 K, Is there any way I can get this confirmation.

6. Likely to impact on other insurance (how are you currently insuring your vehicle?) and credit applications.

Currenly, I am insured through BISL, I explained them everything up front and they insured and even renewed me

You say you tried to repair the laptop yourself, have you got receipts for parts to prove this?

I don't have proof of it, Power button was broken, I removed it, tried to shor circuit the supply, but it did not work. I explained the same to insurance company but they did not believe.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 1st Apr 17, 12:01 AM
    • 58,925 Posts
    • 52,251 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 1st Apr 17, 12:01 AM
    • 1st Apr 17, 12:01 AM
    becasue the damage and description of the claim were almost same, they thought I am trying to claim for something which is prior to their policy start date.
    Weren't you? You must agree that it would appear highly suspicious. Either you were or the first claim that you dropped was fraudulent.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • TW9SW18
    • By TW9SW18 12th Jan 18, 10:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TW9SW18
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:40 PM
    Cifas
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:40 PM
    Hi there,

Did you manage to get the Cifas market removed? And how has it affrected you applying for credit? I may have a similar situation

Thanks
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Jan 18, 11:15 PM
    • 17,258 Posts
    • 18,352 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:15 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:15 PM
    Best to start your own thread, rather than joining one as old as this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

430Posts Today

4,676Users online

Martin's Twitter