Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 25th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 7,392Posts
    • 55,678Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST March: Marching to a different beat
    • 25th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    NST March: Marching to a different beat 25th Feb 18 at 2:49 PM
    NST March: Marching to a different beat

Join the NinjaSavingTurtles, named after our leader and inspiration NinjaSavingKat, and march to a different beat. Your own beat. No more following the crowd. No more keeping up with the Joneses. No more paying the banks extra money for the privilege of having borrowed from them.

March. The month of daffodils and the arrival of Spring. The equinox and altering the clocks. Preparation for Easter. St Patrick’s day. Pi day. Spring cleaning. But, most importantly of all: MARCH MADNESS.

What you will do with your money, your time and your energy this month will seem like madness to those who are still caught up in the maelstrom of consumerism. But Turtles are tough and stand proud against the ‘norm’. They swim against the tide. Turtles always take their lunch to work. They rack up NoSpendDays (NSDs) like they are going out of fashion. They eschew takeaways and big chain coffee shops. No vending machine has their fingerprints on it. They note down every single little spend in the notebook that would have to be surgically removed from their grip should they ever need hospital treatment. They look after themselves – financially, physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally. They have BIG GOALS. They dream of FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early). They read blogs by other frugalistas to gain more inspiration. They share the lows and highs on here, posting every day. They are grateful for what they have.

The non-negotiables:
    • · The challenge runs from March 1st to March 31st
    • · For the striders: 18 NSDs; for the plodders: 15 NSDs (you can keep an NSD if the only thing you buy is fuel, medication, reduced items or paying for weekly or random activities [set the money aside for these at the start of the month])
    • · Set your budgets before the challenge starts (food, bills, travel, activities, repayments, holidays, treats, clothing, pets, savings)
    • · Be generous – there are many who are far worse off. Do not forget to give to your choice of charity.
    • · Note down every single spend in a notebook and analyse where the pennies go
    • · As ever, always take your lunch to work, and drink and snacks when out and about
    • · Pay towards your debt first! This is imperative. You have your debt free date in mind (You do, don’t you?!?!). So calculate how much you need to pay per month to reach it - and pay that first. Live off the rest. Simples.
    • · Plan. Look ahead to the month and what your commitments are. Are you working late and therefore unlikely to feel like cooking when you get home? Make sure you have a portion or two of homemade ready meals in the freezer.
    • · Check in every day.

So onwards and upwards we march.
    Every step counts.
    We move with purpose.
    We know where we are heading.

Who is with me?

NST June Odyssey #20; NSD 13/15; Ex 18/20 ; craft 8/ (69); remove 76 (433)
    2018 Pay off: £2110; 2
    018 sell £44.20; WLOSW /10

Mortgage £21,033 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 2
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 26th Feb 18, 10:36 AM
    • 2,719 Posts
    • 19,808 Thanks
    Calling14
    Me apple. Thanks for running this thread.

Off to work out budgets, away first couple of days of this challenge, depending on snow but will still be thrifty. x
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Start 2018 £5552 NOW £2700
    EEK house repairs pushed it back up end of last yr

PAYDBX 2018 #16 £2852/£5552 DFD 12/18
    E
    Fund #9 £120/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge
    £1327/£2550

• slowlyfading
    • By slowlyfading 26th Feb 18, 9:33 PM
    • 12,929 Posts
    • 74,240 Thanks
    slowlyfading
    Can I join in even if I'm debt free?
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr Seuss
    Personal Finance Blogger / June NSD - 11 / Ultimate Dream Fund - £25,646.36/£306,000
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 27th Feb 18, 7:22 AM
    • 7,392 Posts
    • 55,678 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Of course you can, slowlyfading. We all have different reasons for being a turtle.

Mortgage £21,033 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 27th Feb 18, 9:04 AM
    • 3,336 Posts
    • 27,358 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Oh, can't wait for Wednesday. Hopefully having shuffled around money will help this month as the CC is now paid off and by Wednesday we should have 1000 put aside for emergencies, holidays, upcoming kids party bookings etc etc plus we got the money (birthday money) to pay for the hire car in April (flights paid already) when we visit my parents. Still have the family debt left (1400) but it's at 0% and the other changes should prevent further borrowing at least and still enable us to pay that off steadily. First time in ages I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. So far we've been robbing Peter to pay Paul because we didn't have the emergency fund. But now it seems to work better, although we paid the debt off slower and saved,it stops us from borrowing. We used to pay the card off only to pay for sth on it again. Seemed a pointless circle and demoralising. Hopefully broken now.

Still working on the final budgets, meal plans etc.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 27-02-2018 at 1:43 PM.
    NST June
    SFD 14/20 spends too much (incl some from savings for festival etc)/480
    Exercise 11/20
    Debt - all 0% 1015 to go from 5290
    DFD 5/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 103541 (05/18) OP 0
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 27th Feb 18, 1:38 PM
    • 7,392 Posts
    • 55,678 Thanks
    apple muncher
    That is so good to read thrifty. Well done to you and Mr Thrifty.

• thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 27th Feb 18, 1:49 PM
    • 3,336 Posts
    • 27,358 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Thanks apple muncher, still working on Mr Thrifty. He started borrowing money again after Christmas and I gave in the last two months (always get it back) but that will stop now. Wish me luck. He doesn't know how much we have saved now, he only knows there is money to cover x, y, and z but not a penny more.
    NST June
    Exercise 11/20
    • Dottydaisy
    • By Dottydaisy 27th Feb 18, 3:48 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    Dottydaisy
    I would like to be counted in, I'll be the mascot sort of marching at the back of the cavalry! I read everyday but didn't post a lot as felt unwell most of the month -psoriatic arthritis especially in my shoulders. Mothernerd you are my inspiration for all that you get done! Really admire your can do attitude and am aiming to struggle through to have your mindset.
    Will work out February Forest Adventure totals and will post new budgets before the first

How do I put running totals in the box at the bottom the post please?

Hugs, congratulations, birthday wishes and just well done everyone xx
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 27th Feb 18, 4:08 PM
    • 3,336 Posts
    • 27,358 Thanks
    thriftylass

How do I put running totals in the box at the bottom the post please?

Originally posted by Dottydaisy
    You can go to User CP (below the Etiquette button in the top green line), and then edit signature.

Hope that helps
    NST June
    Exercise 11/20
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 27th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    • 3,554 Posts
    • 18,512 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Greetings all. Laptop died end of January & February seems to have passed me by! I'm in again for March please.
    Feb was a little up and down for me. MIL has been diagnosed with cancer, so that left us reeling a little. At the moment we are awaiting test results to see what is the best course of treatment and action to take.
    On the upside, although I was naughty and dug into Mums re-payment fund, we have a new member of the family.
    Meet Donna

Money kind of ran away with me in Feb, what with the laptop needing a new HD, and the new addition. Need to get back on track.
    Back in September MIL kindly loaned us a large sum of money to help towards the house deposit, BF was due to start making repayments this month. In light of recent events, she decided she won't really need it back, so has told BF not to re-pay her.
    I have broached the subject of him paying me back the £1000 I loaned him instead. So hopefully I can add that to Mums fund.

So...onwards into March...

The non-negotiables:
    • · For the striders: 18 25 NSDs
    • · Set your budgets before the challenge starts Budgets set. I need to pay for a music exam this month, or Ill have to wait until the next quarter. £95
    • · Be generous – there are many who are far worse off. Do not forget to give to your choice of charity. As usual, my charity of choice is the local C&D home.
    • · Note down every single spend in a notebook and analyse where the pennies go Spreadsheet is prepped
    • · As ever, always take your lunch to work, and drink and snacks when out and about Always do
    • · Pay towards your debt first! Five fridays this month means I have a whole paycheck spare, and plan to put it all towards Mums Fund.
    • · Plan. Look ahead to the month and what your commitments are. Are you working late and therefore unlikely to feel like cooking when you get home? Make sure you have a portion or two of homemade ready meals in the freezer. We mealplan each week. Wed is slowcooker day as I go boxing (beef roast tomorrow ) Mum is down for a visit next week and there maybe a short notice trip to Bristol Zoo as MIL wants to go, and we want to make the trip before she starts treatment and feels too ill to go.
    • · Check in every day. I shall try!!
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    May NSD's - 13/19 / Lose weight 7.8 lbs / 50 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £139.93/£1800
    • slowlyfading
    • By slowlyfading 27th Feb 18, 9:05 PM
    • 12,929 Posts
    • 74,240 Thanks
    slowlyfading
    Of course you can, slowlyfading. We all have different reasons for being a turtle.
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    Great! Looking forward to getting stuck in
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr Seuss
    Personal Finance Blogger / June NSD - 11 / Ultimate Dream Fund - £25,646.36/£306,000
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 27th Feb 18, 10:22 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    I know this isn't exactly how it's supposed to work, but in thinking about frogs and elephants for the month, I find myself tackling them before the first of March! At least they're getting done I suppose

I have decided that in the spirit of the thread, I will try and organise my budgets and expenses until the end of the month. I get paid about 75% of the way through the month, which drives me round the twist, but DH is paid on the last working day. I usually base everything on my paydays because I organise our financial lives. We'll be going down to one salary (his) for a few years as of this summer, so it'd do me good to start getting into that rhythm now, but for me personally it means this will be a 6 week month (ouch!) whilst I start doing this. Then for the rest of my paydays I'm going to ignore the money sitting in my account until the end of the month like everyone else.

Go hard or go home
    • abundant1972
    • By abundant1972 27th Feb 18, 10:40 PM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 9,215 Thanks
    abundant1972
    Hi there!

Applemuncher - Please sign me up for some March Madness

Note to self - this month I will re-adopt the habit of writing down all my spends - thank you for reminding me of that skill... I'm not sure when it slipped off the radar - but I'm back on it now... I have an old blank notebook I've labelled up and everything!
    Ask do I 'want' or 'need' this before I spend
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    Help To Buy ISA = £6046.13. EF = £2500/£4500
    NST : NSD=0/18 : Food & Spends=£0/£200.00
    Exercise : Joe Wicks 90 Day SSS Plan!
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 28th Feb 18, 8:56 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 5,241 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Thrifty well done on the EF. my hub is the devil on my shoulder too. He is actually better than he used to be since we decided to save a house deposit. perhaps its a good thing though that he is so lax as I am a big worrier!!!
    raphael a big hello Donna. sorry to hear about your MIL
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 28th Feb 18, 9:09 AM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 12,788 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Hello Turtles

Raphael - Sorry to hear about MIL. I hope you get some good news on the treatment options. Donna's so cute!

So back for March.

All budgets set and money allocated for bill payments which are all made by direct debit.

C donates to Sightsavers every month and I do to Barnardos. We've both being this for years but would like to do something more local as well so we're donating food to the honeless mission through my cousin's church. Basics like tea, coffee, porridge etc but also the occasional wee treat of biscuits.

Two birthdays this month. MY brother in Canada (just a card) and my great nephew (only got one so he's a wee bit special). I already have the cards and the wee chap will get a small token Amazon voucher. We don't really do birthday presents in our family unless they are very close.

C and I are going to Edinburgh for three nights. Accommodation in in a Travelodge (supercheap for Edinburgh) and has already been paid. Travel is free and I'll have a look for restaurant vouchers. Lots of free activities – walks and art galleries.

So my mission for this month is to spend as little and save as much as possible. I have my notebook at the ready (from the stash I already have) and every penny will be recorded. I've also got another one for the long list of “to do” this month.

Snowing heavily here just outside Glasgow. Keep warm and safe everyone.
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 28th Feb 18, 9:11 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 5,241 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hi turtles-

Thank you apple for running this month.

budgets now set for March.
    £1750 emergency Fund
    £700 paris
    £130 fuel
    £40 slimming world
    £25 mothers day
    £201 spends (£50 per week)

let's go guys
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 28th Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    • 3,336 Posts
    • 27,358 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Hello and happy snowy payday.

Luckily the country has not come to a complete standstill yet and the busses are running schools are open etc. (well only in the city here, surrounding areas are all shut and most of the rest of Scotland).

Raphael sorry to hear about your MIL and like the cute little new family addition.

Shuffled all my monies around, budgets set, debt paid etc. 350 groceries, 10 HH, 50 other. Also got the money for my party this Sat although we'll need to see what the weather is doing, if guest and most importantly babysitters can make it.
    NST June
    Exercise 11/20
    • pocketfluff
    • By pocketfluff 28th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    pocketfluff
    I'm in!
    • pocketfluff
    • By pocketfluff 28th Feb 18, 11:12 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    pocketfluff
    Pay Day: Friday 2nd March
    This is £668 and ALL accounted for for bills

Self employed earnings for the month: ?? Target £1000
    To pay overheads, use on Petrol, Gas/Electricity, Food for the month and other essentials

NSD's

Birthdays this month:
    Its my birthday this month and I have a FREE pack of pretty socks from M&S thanks to being signed up for their sparks card. So thats a nice little birthday treat for me this month
    My nephews birthday this month £22 (Cash and card)
    Mothers Day £10

I loved the Elephants and frogs theme last month and it really helped to work through them easily. So elephants and frogs this month are:
    Elephants
    Finish the wallpapering in my sons bedroom
    Declutter and spring clean the house

Frogs
    Will update as the month goes on.....nothing that I can think of at present
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 28th Feb 18, 1:35 PM
    • 2,719 Posts
    • 19,808 Thanks
    Calling14
    Raphael love the new addition. Keep fighting to your MIL, positive thoughts coming your way x

Thrifty - well done on your EF.

Budgets.
    Food 0/£100
    Fuel 0/£40
    Going out 0/£100 Night away Manc included in this.
    Hair and me 0/£50 haircut needed this month and some make up.
    House 0/£20 hopefully won't need to use this.
    SFD 0/ £18
    Bdays 0/ £60 - first time in 5 years dd here for her bday bit extra.!

New french doors being fitted this month £1650 - on a seperate cc so will aim to hammer down the rest of my debt.

Will be back Monday to check in. x
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Start 2018 £5552 NOW £2700
    EEK house repairs pushed it back up end of last yr

PAYDBX 2018 #16 £2852/£5552 DFD 12/18
    E
    Fund #9 £120/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge
    £1327/£2550

• LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 28th Feb 18, 1:46 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    Budgets now set, money into joint account for joint direct debits, money in my account for personal direct debits. Out of both of those standing orders have put all the ongoing stashes into their respective pots and my personal savings account.

Budgets are:
    Diesel - £120 (taken from personal account)
    Groceries - £200 (taken from joint account)
    Monzo card for other spends - £110. Of this £25 for one birthday and Mother's Day. Other potential purchases are more maternity clothing. I'm coming up to 25 weeks and just as the Beast from the East hits, my coat ceases to fits! Well, I can breathe in and only wear a t-shirt underneath but that's not very warm or comfortable. Watching one on eBay which I would hope goes for less than £20. Honestly thought I'd get away without needing to purchase one, it's hard enough dressing for an English spring as it is, without a limited wardrobe!

Frogs (that I haven't already eaten)
    - Starting knitting blanket squares for ULO (unborn little one)
    - Clean oven
    - Read meters and check status of energy deal

Elephants
    - Big spring tidy up in advance of new arrival. This should generate some additional charity donations (unwanted pet food to adoption centres, toiletries to women's refuge, furniture to charity shop etc)
    - Look at the terms of over-payments on the mortgage and talk to hubby about the most efficient thing to do with his squirrelings
    - Start researching pensions

Non-negotiables
    - For the striders: 18 NSDs - This is my aim, anything that isn't a standing order or DD counts as a spend for me
    - Set your budgets before the challenge starts - Done
    - Be generous !!!8211; there are many who are far worse off. Do not forget to give to your choice of charity. DD from personal account, I also work for and volunteer for 2 charities. Hoping to find some tangible donations in our clear out
    - Note down every single spend in a notebook and analyse where the pennies go - Monzo app is fantastic for this, on the rare occasion I take cash out I note in the app where I've spent it
    - As ever, always take your lunch to work, and drink and snacks when out and about - I have slipped to spending about £1 in the staff caf! for lunch once a fortnight recently, never done it before. I'm just so tired all the time at the moment and even batch cooking takes it out of me. But I will be good and get out of this habit Picking up snacks in Lidl etc and making sure I always have supplies on me as I get woozy spells
    - Pay towards your debt first! No debt, but I've put into all my savings pots before allocating spending
    - Plan. Look ahead to the month and what your commitments are. Are you working late and therefore unlikely to feel like cooking when you get home? Make sure you have a portion or two of homemade ready meals in the freezer. My freezer is full Slow cooker is earning its stripes with my reduced energy levels and ability to stand for long periods. Hubby doesn't like meal planning as he likes to choose what he wants based on what he fancies, but has agreed that I don't have the capacity for complicated meals and indecisive shopping trips!
    - Check in every day. I shall try!
    Last edited by LavenderBee; 28-02-2018 at 6:38 PM. Reason: Added to my elephants and frogs!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,632Posts Today

8,975Users online

Martin's Twitter