Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 25th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 7,386Posts
    • 55,644Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST March: Marching to a different beat
    • 25th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    NST March: Marching to a different beat 25th Feb 18 at 2:49 PM
    NST March: Marching to a different beat

Join the NinjaSavingTurtles, named after our leader and inspiration NinjaSavingKat, and march to a different beat. Your own beat. No more following the crowd. No more keeping up with the Joneses. No more paying the banks extra money for the privilege of having borrowed from them.

March. The month of daffodils and the arrival of Spring. The equinox and altering the clocks. Preparation for Easter. St Patrick’s day. Pi day. Spring cleaning. But, most importantly of all: MARCH MADNESS.

What you will do with your money, your time and your energy this month will seem like madness to those who are still caught up in the maelstrom of consumerism. But Turtles are tough and stand proud against the ‘norm’. They swim against the tide. Turtles always take their lunch to work. They rack up NoSpendDays (NSDs) like they are going out of fashion. They eschew takeaways and big chain coffee shops. No vending machine has their fingerprints on it. They note down every single little spend in the notebook that would have to be surgically removed from their grip should they ever need hospital treatment. They look after themselves – financially, physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally. They have BIG GOALS. They dream of FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early). They read blogs by other frugalistas to gain more inspiration. They share the lows and highs on here, posting every day. They are grateful for what they have.

The non-negotiables:
    • · The challenge runs from March 1st to March 31st
    • · For the striders: 18 NSDs; for the plodders: 15 NSDs (you can keep an NSD if the only thing you buy is fuel, medication, reduced items or paying for weekly or random activities [set the money aside for these at the start of the month])
    • · Set your budgets before the challenge starts (food, bills, travel, activities, repayments, holidays, treats, clothing, pets, savings)
    • · Be generous – there are many who are far worse off. Do not forget to give to your choice of charity.
    • · Note down every single spend in a notebook and analyse where the pennies go
    • · As ever, always take your lunch to work, and drink and snacks when out and about
    • · Pay towards your debt first! This is imperative. You have your debt free date in mind (You do, don’t you?!?!). So calculate how much you need to pay per month to reach it - and pay that first. Live off the rest. Simples.
    • · Plan. Look ahead to the month and what your commitments are. Are you working late and therefore unlikely to feel like cooking when you get home? Make sure you have a portion or two of homemade ready meals in the freezer.
    • · Check in every day.

So onwards and upwards we march.
    Every step counts.
    We move with purpose.
    We know where we are heading.

Who is with me?

NST June Odyssey #20; NSD 11/15; Ex 9/20 ; craft / (69); remove 54 (433)
    2018 Pay off: £2110; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £21,033 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 20
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 14th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    • 496 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Good morning lovely turtles.

I hope you are all well.

debtfree I know that feeling about that little boy, I think it is really easy to forget just how lucky we all are, in so many ways. This is something I try and need to remember!

Another NSD in the bag. I need to pop in to the cake place at some point and pay the deposit for my little ones cakes next month. considering paying it all and then it is done, not sure there is much to be gained from paying some now and some later.

Weight watchers went well last night, 3lb down. hurrah. would love to lose another 3 and then I have lost half a stone this month.

Not a great deal to report really - everything is pretty boring
    • lauradora
    • By lauradora 14th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 1,365 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    lauradora
    Morning all, just checking for the day

All spreadsheet up to date. Another spendy day for me today i'm afraid but ive still got plenty of month left
    Have a nice day everyone

Still in debt but happy
    DFW nerd no 844

• abundant1972
    • By abundant1972 14th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 9,215 Thanks
    abundant1972
    Morning all...!

You ever get the feeling you're doomed to repeat the same mistakes haha. Not checked in for a few days - partly because I was thinking,

'they're going to get so fed up of me making the same mistakes, blowing my budget mid month, then vanishing, then coming back making excuses...'

Of course... I know you lot are like the least judgemental people I know - but that's what I was thinking about myself. So I took time to think about it.

Problem 1) This month - Mother's Day - I spent £30 I didn't really have but I didn't want to scrimp. Mum has memory stuff going on as some of you know and wanted it to be special. The same happens with Birthdays. I try to cut corners and it fails.

Solution 1) I am going to put money aside each month into a birthday/gift fund. It will be separate from my monthly expenses, as trying to cut corners in my own budget to accommodate other things doesn't work for me. I used to do it... not sure why I stopped.

Problem 2) My food expenses have rocketed since I started to eat healthy, gym more and get into cooking. I joined my food and spends budget together this month - which would cover it - but then had zero left to do anything else with. Result - I caved in and went out. I just moved here and also want to make friends, and I have new family commitments which invariably means taking my folks out somewhere each week. What I find though - is that once I have blown my budget I think 'what the heck' and my spending spirals.

Solution 2) I am upping my food budget. I know... it could feed a small family of elephants with that but... trying to eat a quantity of chicken/meat/fish 3/day and all fresh veg is working out expensive. But I want to bulk up at the gym so I need to do it. I guess all our budgets will vary depending on how we live and who we cater for. I am lucky enough to just have to feed me, so I can stretch it a bit. I'll keep my spends separate again next month. I am also going to have a 'Buffer Fund' of just £50. It will be like an overdraught - so if I do go over it's there BUT I have to pay it back next month and it's capped.

Well - lets see how that all works out!!! So - on damage limitation <again> the rest of the month I think.

Today = NSD number 6

Other than that I am really good. In a great space mentally, exercising a lot, diet is clean as a whistle (except for Mother's Day when I gorged on cakes!) and life is good!!!

Have a good day folks.
    Ask do I 'want' or 'need' this before I spend
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    Help To Buy ISA = £6046.13. EF = £2500/£4500
    NST : NSD=0/18 : Food & Spends=£0/£200.00
    Exercise : Joe Wicks 90 Day SSS Plan!
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 14th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    Mothernerd - what was the name of the film? It sounds interesting to me! In return, if you struggle with mouth ulcers, I found using SLS (sodium laurel sulphate) free toothpastes has made a huge difference. I used to have a plague of them almost constantly. If I use a 'regular' toothpaste, they come back, so I'm sure this is the culprit. I have some skin sensitivities too.

Not an NSD here as I had to pay to park at the hospital (no free alternatives, and the 200 yards from the front door was difficult enough as it was). That was a private appointment (thankfully I have insurance) but the physio said I need to chase through the NHS as well, I may need it on my records about how I can/can't give birth, and have I thought about using crutches to help me get around? Crutches! I was still running long distance cross country in the first weeks of my pregnancy! I've got more hospital appointments coming up before the end of the month now, 3 in fact, so that's 3 NSDs lost. I don't think I'll make 18 now. £2 out of the personal spends.

Grateful for: being able to hobble? Beautiful weather And Asda for offering grocery orders of £25 spend rather than everywhere else charging £40, means I don't have to force myself round a shop this weekend. Health insurance provided by work.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 14th Mar 18, 2:32 PM
    • 3,335 Posts
    • 27,345 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Spend day again today. The kids finished the bread and milk earlier than expected.

Took pictures of my cupboards and freezer/fridge this morning and made a list of possible dinners. Also have enough lunches for a while. Will start making DH lunches from LO tonight as he asked the last two days (on our way out of the door!!): is there anything for lunch. Must be getting close to being broke again as he usually buys his lunch and only asks towards the week or two before payday. Need to prepare myself to be strong and say no if he asks for money this month.
    NST June
    SFD 13/20 spends 738 (incl some from savings for festival etc)/480
    Exercise 11/20
    Debt - all 0% 1015 to go from 5290
    DFD 5/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 103541 (05/18) OP 0
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 14th Mar 18, 2:42 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 4,364 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    Spend day. Went and had coffee with a friend. Ended up getting lunch for me and my friend. That was £16.50 and then had to go to Morries and get a few bits. £8.58
    Funds are running low but, trying to not dip into savings.
    #545- SPC/ Frugal Living Challenge June No spend challenges: 10/15 House fund £250/£2000
    Grocery Budget: £18.09/£200
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 14th Mar 18, 3:26 PM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 12,753 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Just back from Edinburgh and will catch up with everyone shortly.
    Had an unexpected NSD on Sunday when C took me out to dinner for Mother's Day. So at no 10 now.
    We didn't spend very much at all and found a lovely little Italian restaurant near our hotel. Beautiful food and really cheap.
    Hope everyone is well.
    • greent
    • By greent 14th Mar 18, 3:58 PM
    • 7,081 Posts
    • 72,156 Thanks
    greent

Not an NSD here as I had to pay to park at the hospital (no free alternatives, and the 200 yards from the front door was difficult enough as it was). That was a private appointment (thankfully I have insurance) but the physio said I need to chase through the NHS as well, I may need it on my records about how I can/can't give birth, and have I thought about using crutches to help me get around? Crutches! I was still running long distance cross country in the first weeks of my pregnancy! I've got more hospital appointments coming up before the end of the month now, 3 in fact, so that's 3 NSDs lost. I don't think I'll make 18 now. £2 out of the personal spends.

Grateful for: being able to hobble? Beautiful weather And Asda for offering grocery orders of £25 spend rather than everywhere else charging £40, means I don't have to force myself round a shop this weekend. Health insurance provided by work.
    Originally posted by LavenderBee
    LavenderBee - parking for a medical appointment still counts as medical spending, so you keep your NSD, I believe x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £1068.37/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £522.39/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £18564.38/£18918.90
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 14th Mar 18, 5:28 PM
    • 3,868 Posts
    • 35,850 Thanks
    dolly84
    Mothernerd - what was the name of the film? It sounds interesting to me! In return, if you struggle with mouth ulcers, I found using SLS (sodium laurel sulphate) free toothpastes has made a huge difference. I used to have a plague of them almost constantly. If I use a 'regular' toothpaste, they come back, so I'm sure this is the culprit. I have some skin sensitivities too.

Originally posted by LavenderBee
    This all sounds awful, just keep hanging on to the thought that your body will return to normal soon enough after the birth.

Just back from Edinburgh and will catch up with everyone shortly.
    Had an unexpected NSD on Sunday when C took me out to dinner for Mother's Day. So at no 10 now.
    We didn't spend very much at all and found a lovely little Italian restaurant near our hotel. Beautiful food and really cheap.
    Hope everyone is well.
    Originally posted by Toni'sfriend
    I'm visiting Edinburgh for the first time next month, I'd be interested to hear where you went and any highlights.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 14th Mar 18, 5:34 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    Thanks greent - I think I will count them, but put them in brackets! If I was terribly organised I'd arrange for any other spending (groceries, fuel and gifts) to be planned and done on the same days. Something to aim for next month (particularly since the number of appointments is racking up now anyway, regardless of my extra brokenness!)
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 14th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 12,753 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    What sort of things do you like to do Dolly? Edinburgh is a beautiful city but it can be very expensive. One place I always recommend going to is the Dome on George Street. It is a spectacular restaurant (it has a website if you want to have a look) but well worth a visit. It looks expensive (and I think it could be for dinner) but a drink or tea is very affordable (nice sandwiches and one portion is enough for two people for a light lunch). How long are you going for? Are you staying overnight?
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 14th Mar 18, 6:41 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    93 days and counting Dolly (not that I'm counting!)

I went to Edinburgh for the first time last year and loved it, funnily enough I was only thinking this morning what a lovely time we had. If you like walking I do recommend walking to the top of King Arthur's Seat (wear sensible shoes!). We don't do anything flash on weekend breaks or eat anywhere fancy, we go for gastro-pub type places and tried a deep fried Mars bar between us
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 14th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 7,386 Posts
    • 55,644 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Abundant - just wanted to comment. My mum is in a care home and has both dementia and alzheimers. (I don't know which one deteriorates fastest.) She has been there 11 months now and her memory issues were propelled to the forefront when my dad suddenly died 19months ago. she is unable to make new memories. however, I have realised that she can make 'emotional' memories - we pay for a trained person to goand spend time with mum once aweek, and mum refers to 'that nice lady' despite only 'knowing' her for 9 or 10months. These memories are intangible and can't be specified but she has a 'happy place' from them. So, spending money on things/experiences wouldn't work for her. In fact, buying her things is pointless as within minutes she has forgotten who gave them/ that they are hers, and she puts them elsewhere and then they are well and truly lost.

Now for the confession: I did absolutely nothing for her for mother's day. That probably sounds cruel and heartless. It is partly self-preservation as I was with her last year and she got so cross and upset about mothers day that I ended up taking away the card and present I'd got her, to end the upset. I was lucky that within minutes she'd forgotten it. But the impact it had on me lasted.

I think what I am trying to say is that time spent with your mum and dad is precious and the little routine familiar things are the ones that provide security and love for them. Hope I haven't upset you by saying all this x
    NST June Odyssey #20; NSD 11/15; Ex 9/20 ; craft / (69); remove 54 (433)
    2018 Pay off: £2110; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £21,033 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 14th Mar 18, 7:54 PM
    • 2,351 Posts
    • 22,811 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    NSD achieved 10/18
    There was an issue with my alarm clock as I think the battery was running low as it lost time. So woke up late. When I checked the time it was light, then checked watch. So it was a rush to get ready.
    Grateful for:
    Having made my lunch last night.
    Getting into work just in time to start.
    Feeling refreshed from my sleep.
    Picking up the buddybox from mental health support organisation from the sorting office which was opened late today. Went after work.
    Good connections with buses to and from work.
    Hugs to those in need of them.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST June 2018 A June Odessey(Staycation) NSD 13/20
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 14th Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    laurenh1
    abundant sounds like a good plan, Ive fallen off the wagon a bit this month too. did I read you had moved to Manchester? We are from Bury (or at least my hub is & I lived there a while) Love manchester!!
    dolly I love the dome too & they let you pop in just for a coffee. The witchery is also lovely, right next to the castle but you will need about £150 for 2 people to eat there. & I was pretty restrained (cheapest red wine, please)
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 14th Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    • 2,711 Posts
    • 26,001 Thanks
    Fmess
    Apple hugs and thank you for sharing Not celebrating mother!!!8217;s day with you Mum sounds like the right plan, please don!!!8217;t beat yourself up about it.

Abundant well done on your solution focused thinking!

SFD number 8 here. Walked the dogs after work and been to SW, lost 1.5lbs which was nice. Tomorrow is a very expensive dental surgery for one of my dogs, poor thing, I hope he!!!8217;s ok by tomorrow evening.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • bizzie
    • By bizzie 14th Mar 18, 10:32 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    bizzie
    Spend day today on things that were on my list - didn't deviate which is progress.
    Another trip to town beckons this week to collect dd's clothes order for her (delivery was free to store) but will combine with outstanding errands - bank (emptied change pot), library, and a catch up with a friend.
    Groceries 220.22/300.00 Personal Spend /100.00
    NST June #25 NSD 15/15 @23/06/18
    Goals for 2018: Balance in
    Self: Health: Wealth :
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 14th Mar 18, 10:32 PM
    • 2,438 Posts
    • 25,436 Thanks
    mothernerd
    LavenderBee It was called The Train (on film4 so may be repeated sometime soon). Burt Lancaster played the lead Frenchman and Paul Schofield (Thomas more in a Man for All Seasons and chief witchfinder in The Crucible) the German who had collected the paintings (official german view was that the Impressionists were 'decadent'), a few other recognisable names and faces but lots of 'jobbing actors', many French. The story was the star.

The toothpaste is a laurel sulphate free one (googled when I first got the symptoms). Local health food shop used to do a fennel toothpaste but no longer and H&B had loads of an Aloe Vera one (had a reaction to that previously so not going to put it in my mouth and another one with similar problems. Third one was a charcoal one (black toothpaste - feed my inner Goth) and is aniseed flavour. Last time I had to hunt for it so I wanted to buy before I absolutely ran out in case I had to travel to Manchester. So was delighted when I walked in the shop and saw the big display - know the 'better than half price' was genuine.

I know I am prone to ulcers if I eat too many tomatoes and also if I am 'run down'. The furry tongue was a new one but is common for people with diabetes and also a 'run down' symtom. Doctor gave me mouthwash and medicine (so thick I had to scoop it out ) which helped but did not eradicate it and anti-biotics would make it worse.

Diet advice is nothing salty (fine) nothing acidic (love tomatoes and lemon juice) and nothing spicy! Oh no! and feel I should be increasing the spicy things as lots of curry spices, especially turmeric, are supposed to be helpful for the arthritis, which is the major problem atm, furry tongue I am learning to ignore, minor inconvenience in the scale of things.

I agree with Dolly hang on in there and try not to let the midwives upset you.

Crafts day, quite good, bit confusing as some things had been left for us to do and I like people to have a choice and we were part way through some things started last week. Spendy day as I elected to get the bus (and not the cheap one). I had a small rucksack, a big bag and a pile of cardboard under one arm and it was windy and I wanted to get there early to try something out (have had these 'woven baskets' in mind for several weeks and still trying to crack how best to make them - some of the craft participants need adaptations).

Carried straight on to the chemists (would have crawled on the bed and gone to sleep if I had gone home first) and they had the tablets, after some hunting around. No-one seemed to want to look at me and then they said 'someone from upstairs' (the blister pack people) was coming down to speak to me. This was an older woman, who was very pleasant and said they had ticked to put it on the repeat prescription list and 'hoped' it would be included in next month's delivery.

So, as I suspected on Monday, they were lying to me, insisting that I got more paperwork from the doctor. They must have got off the phone and started to look for how they had cocked it up. I would feel paranoid but I know that before I started looking after mum and soon after I started, several items had to be requested specially when they were not delivered. Delivery woman is lovely, cheerful and pleasant. Know now that the department is understaffed but some people's lives are dependent on these medicines.

Today I am grateful for companionship, good service, lovely flowers on the square (done that before but they always make me smile).
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Jun #1 SFD 9/10 Food £116.70/£120 Travel 14.50/£15 Ent/diy £31.50/£30 bought clothes
    No Debt No mortgage
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 14th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    • 2,834 Posts
    • 26,247 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 15 checking in

Hi all

An NSD today and weather was kind to me so got 2 loads of washing outside, smells lovely & was virtually dry. Some more improvements upstairs, but furniture still needs to be shifted so hopefully tomorrow. Thought I might do it on my own but a bit too heavy. No progress on path but DH took large barrow of turf up to compost heaps for me, as I overloaded it so much I couldn't shift it...will need to go out tomorrow & stock up on canines food.

· For the striders: 9/18 NSDs

· Set your budgets before the challenge starts - did a fair few spends, need to update spread sheet. Ongoing.

· Be generous ; will do

· Note down Certainly need to do this, in order to get a handle on spending. Have noted down spends & will update. No spends today.

· As ever, will do

· Pay towards your debt first! Do not have debt now but have been there before so am very wary. Do have a CC paid off in full every month. Will make a payment on cc today.

· Plan. Will make list of places to go - need to have it in reserve for impromptu trips out. Still A WIP, but found another to add to the list. May go out tomorrow on way back from pet foods place.

Check in every day. Will do from now on
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 15th Mar 18, 7:49 AM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 12,361 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    My kettle broke yesterday
    I went into the kitchen at 6am and there was water on the floor, so I cleaned it up and made coffee in the machine, went back after a bit and there was water on the floor, so I checked the ceiling (first thought - go major) no water, checked the tumble drier was not leaky, noticed the worktop was wet under the pile of dishes waiting for my attention. Dried it up, assumed someone had over filled the kettle or knocked over a glass, went off to take the kids to school. Came back, water on the floor - then, and only then did I realise water was coming out of the bottom of the kettle.
    Bought a new 'boy' kettle. It is glass, and has blue led lights and you can watch the bubbles. £30. Everyone loves it.

Just found out that if you lose a post (when it all highlights blue and disappears) ctrl z brings it back !!!!!!!! it is the undo last action code.

DS1 is off on his DoE training expedition this weekend (cue snow)
    We cannot find the handle to the camping pan, so have to go to town to get a new one, so today will not be a NSD. Grrrrrr. So stuck on NSD 9 will trawl a few charity shops on the way.

Have a lovely day.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 March 18 £108,504.72April £108,099May £106,999
    June 105,999.99
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k before JulyMortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

225Posts Today

4,380Users online

Martin's Twitter