Tesco periodic money off when you spend £x coupons, feel robbed

I normally bin my Tesco money off coupons because quite frankly rather than getting £13 off when I spend £90 in Tesco I think that £77 would go a lot further in Aldi than £90 would in Tesco
However when it coincides with 25% off six bottles of wine then I normally make the trek to the nearest Tesco.
Anyway, this time I've got my trolley loaded up with £60 of wine (£45 after 25% discount) and about £50 of groceries and head to the till. But the coupon won't work. The computer says no. There's a new exclusion, no alcohol!
I feel robbed. Never would have bothered if I'd known. Was tempted to just walk away but felt sorry for the nice lady at the checkout, and the people queuing behind me. And everything was bagged up in my own bags!

So be warned, bargain hunters!

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just go to asda, 25% of 6 bottles currently (any wine, no restrictions this time (well fortified I guess but nothing like last time)).
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    I know sainsurys have been doing this for a while (well with spirits, beer & wine normally ok)

Obviously depends on what you buy but for me £90 would go further in Tesco than £77 in Aldi (especially as Aldi wouldnt stock 25% of the stuff anyway)
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Always read the T&C's with vouchers to avoid things like this happened.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Yes, but when these things drop through the letterbox every few months you don't tend to read the t&c's every time

The point I was trying to make was that I've used these vouchers in the past and bought wine, getting the 25% off the wine and the money off from the coupons making it worth the trip

I didn't see any notice in the main blurb saying that alcohol was now excluded, just the small print on the back.

If my trolley had had a lower proportion of wine, then I could have dashed off and grabbed a couple of high value items like coffee or washing powder to take the total for non alcoholic items over the £90 minimum spend

But who wants to be performing mental gymnastics on the weekly shopping trip? It's just too much hassle.
  • HonestJohn
    HonestJohn Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Thanks for letting us know. I rarely use these coupons now but have done before with the wine promotions.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
  • od244051
    od244051 Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Have bought spirits and alcohol on Tesco scan n go machines with a money off coupon and it worked - even though it said excludes alcohol on the coupon. Last time I used one was in the summer.

One thing I don't understand is why I used to get money off vouchers from Tesco for spending £40 and suddenly jumped to £70 or £80 when I don't spend anything outside the times I get coupons? I always spend no more than £1.50 over the threshold - ie £41.50 when got £8 off £40.

With Sainsburys vouchers, you can use the money off coupons with the wine on offer providing you are spending what you are saving on the wine offer on top of the coupon threshold. Say you got £6 off £40 coupon. The cheapest wine you can buy is £5 a bottle, Buying 6 £5 bottles saves £7.50 so need to spend £47.50
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Zero_Sum wrote: »
    I know sainsurys have been doing this for a while (well with spirits, beer & wine normally ok)

Obviously depends on what you buy but for me £90 would go further in Tesco than £77 in Aldi (especially as Aldi wouldnt stock 25% of the stuff anyway)

I was all set to not use all my Sainsburys vouchers this time until I noticed the 25%off wine so decided to stock up.

I'm determined not to buy products at higher prices than I can get elsewhere just to use the vouchers.

Out of curiosity zero sum which sort of products do you buy in Sainsburys that fall into the 25% that you can't get in Aldi? I find that most weeks I can buy what I need in Aldi.
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2019 at 1:29AM
    maman wrote: »
    I was all set to not use all my Sainsburys vouchers this time until I noticed the 25%off wine so decided to stock up.

I'm determined not to buy products at higher prices than I can get elsewhere just to use the vouchers.

Out of curiosity zero sum which sort of products do you buy in Sainsburys that fall into the 25% that you can't get in Aldi? I find that most weeks I can buy what I need in Aldi.

25% maybe a bit of an exaggeration but there is quite a few things.
    OH likes thise activia yoghurts but only the vanilla ones. Aldi do their own version but its a 4 pack with mixed fruit
    Frozen carrots I cant get there either
    Their selection of herbs & spices is very limited.
    Sainsburys are the only supermarket that sell my favourite beer.
    Fizzy pop selection is very limited (although Sainsburys isnt great either, Asda & Morrison are best)

Then theres the things that arent as good quality like their 'thick' bleach which is literaly money down the toilet. The bread goes mouldy before the used by date, this has happened on last 2 purchases so never buying bread from their again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure