Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tron1895
    • By tron1895 27th Apr 18, 10:10 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tron1895
    Cancel CC and re-apply for new deal?
    • 27th Apr 18, 10:10 PM
    Cancel CC and re-apply for new deal? 27th Apr 18 at 10:10 PM
    Can you cancel a credit card if you have zero balance and re-apply to the same company to get a new 0% deal?

I have a Virgin and Tesco card with zero balances but they are not offering a balance transfer deal. I have an outstanding amount on a Barclaycard which is now charging me 16.5% interest.

Could i cancel the Virgin card and re-apply for one of their current offers?
Page 1
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 27th Apr 18, 10:31 PM
    • 4,351 Posts
    • 2,397 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 27th Apr 18, 10:31 PM
    • 27th Apr 18, 10:31 PM
    It is very odd that you are not getting any offers from Virgin. The conduct of your account must have been unsatisfactory. If they are not offering you any 0% offers as an existing customer it is unlikely that you would be accepted for a new card with them.
    • maxximus75
    • By maxximus75 28th Apr 18, 7:12 AM
    • 229 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    maxximus75
    • 28th Apr 18, 7:12 AM
    • 28th Apr 18, 7:12 AM
    Some companies have a minimum time limit of not being a customer of theirs before you can benefit from applying for another deal.

I would just try another provider? MBNA usually have some of the best deals for balance transfers but there are many, many other providers to choose from.

Good luck with your search.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 28th Apr 18, 7:15 AM
    • 2,540 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 28th Apr 18, 7:15 AM
    • 28th Apr 18, 7:15 AM
    Depends on the group. Some expect you to wait a period such as 6 months before reapplying. Virgin allow more than one card, I have two.

Have you considered applying elsewhere? MBNA give generous balances. Try an eligibility checker to see what they offer.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 28th Apr 18, 8:55 AM
    • 3,814 Posts
    • 5,226 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 28th Apr 18, 8:55 AM
    • 28th Apr 18, 8:55 AM
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/eligibility/credit-cards/

Are BC offering you any deals on MTs?
    That could be a possibility, available credit limit permitting.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • easy
    • By easy 28th Apr 18, 9:09 AM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 2,750 Thanks
    easy
    • 28th Apr 18, 9:09 AM
    • 28th Apr 18, 9:09 AM
    In your position I would ring Virgin or Tesco and ask them if they could offer you a balance transfer deal, before you start applying for new cards.
    If the answer is no then it might be wise to check your credit status, maybe something has gone wrong somewhere ...
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,413Posts Today

5,350Users online

Martin's Twitter