Arnold Clark Service Issue

Options
Hi

I had my car in for its 2nd service 2 weeks ago.

I got told it was included in my plan so booked it in and dropped it off.

I rung on the day of collection when it was done for a lady to tell me I owe £205 for the service and I couldn't collect my car until I had paid, I told her I took the plan out it should be included so I rung head office who confirmed this who then said ring Kendal back tell them this and if they have an issue get them to ring us.

So I ring the Kendal branch back tell the gentleman this who says I've already found it and yes I can see you've got a 2 year service plan and this is your second service so you can collect tonight its free, which is great both head office and kendal confirm its free.

At this point note the service was only booked in because it was included, I have a best friend who is a mechanic who would have done the service for me for way less than £205 and just charged me for parts.

So 2 weeks go by and today I receive an email from Arnold Clark Kendal saying I owe them £205 for the service as my plan was overdue by 60 days, I rung head office who say once the service plan is done after 2 years its deleted off there system so they can't help and Kendal are trying to charge me for something that 2 people confirmed was free and only got done because it was included in my plan. They never notified me a service was due as well I had to ring them and ask am I due a yearly service.

Does anybody have any advise as currently they want £205 for something I got told was free.

Many Thanks

Comments

• debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    Was this second service taken within the two years of the two year service plan?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As said. Was it within the 2 year plan timescales?
    It's not the dealers job to keep you up to date on servicing.
  • laidbackgjr
    laidbackgjr Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ignore what anyone says - read what your paperwork says about the T&C's of the service plan.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Toddy97 wrote: »
    At this point note the service was only booked in because it was included, I have a best friend who is a mechanic who would have done the service for me for way less than £205 and just charged me for parts.

No, just no. I'm assuming it is a fairly new car? Getting your friend to do it could wipe £1000s off its value when you come to resell it as well as give you a load of issues on a warranty claim. People expect to see full main dealer service history on a car up to 4/5 years old at the least and there are enough of them around that do that they would avoid yours like the plague. One thing your friend cannot do is access the manufacturer's database to do software updates which are important on a modern car. He's also unlikely to know about service recalls, common issues the manufacturer has found which they automatically fix at no charge during a service.
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Arnold Clark contact you when the service is due on their service plans. Get back on to head office and raise hell, tell them that the service came within your plan, you were told so by two members of staff. It is their fault if they didn't contact you.
    If you are talking to servicing at head office, take it to the complaints dept.
    Unless you changed your contact details without telling them? so they couldn't get to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure